Kodi Community Forum
Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015] - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Feature Discussion (read-only) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=183)
+--- Thread: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change [Updated 2015] (/showthread.php?tid=189031)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - Piers - 2015-03-02

The reason I chose to put those under Services is because, to an END user, services doesn't say what it is... if that makes sense. I'm fully aware that Weather is not a service, but it will seem like that to first time users - it certainly seemed like that to me when I started using Kodi.

Maybe a rename of Services would be better, or maybe putting Picture under Media Management and Weather under System. I also agree with your opinion about alphabetical ordering. I've tried to create a balance and discussion about the topic. Going to test out the version made Smile

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - un1versal - 2015-03-03

Easy solution, rename services to something more global or add yet another category.

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - Piers - 2015-03-03

(2015-03-03, 00:11)uNiversal Wrote: Easy solution, rename services to something more global or add yet another category.

Although you and I rarely see eye to eye, I full agree with you.

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - Montellese - 2015-03-03

(2015-03-02, 22:59)Piers Wrote: Maybe a rename of Services would be better, or maybe putting Picture under Media Management and Weather under System. I also agree with your opinion about alphabetical ordering. I've tried to create a balance and discussion about the topic. Going to test out the version made Smile

I was never really happy with "Services" because it's too generic because those are all network services that allow other software to interact with Kodi. Before it was renamed to "Services" it was called "Network" and it contained the "Internet Access" category and one huge category with all the options that are now part of the different categories in the "Services" section.

I think Pictures would be better off under Media Management because that's also where "Picture list" is. I don't really know where to put wheather (which is probably why it had it's own section so far) but maybe we need to add a "Miscellaneous" section.

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - mad-max - 2015-03-03

About weather I'm indecisive. I mean weather has nothing to do with Airplay, UPnP and others, but somehow weather is provided by the appropriate service provider.
Maybe we should not focus too much on the technical term "services", or am I totally lost? Smile

About the alphabetical order:
I don't think that an alphabetical order is better. I think ease of use should be in focus. For example the media section. Video is on the bottom.
As Montellese mentioned, most users have Kodi for Videos...so why should the most used part be moved down to the end?

(2015-03-03, 09:33)mad-max Wrote: About weather I'm indecisive. I mean weather has nothing to do with Airplay, UPnP and others, but somehow weather is provided by the appropriate service provider.
Maybe we should not focus too much on the technical term "services", or am I totally lost? Smile
Well scrapers also rely on a service provided by a service provider, so do subtitles downloads etc. I guess "Services" is too broad a term and should be changed to something more specific

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - Ned Scott - 2015-03-03

I think at one point the thought was to remove "Weather" from settings all together, ever since weather became an add-on and was removed from the core of XBMC, and add-ons have their own settings.

In a perfect world, add-ons would also be able to inject their settings (or at least a button to go to their settings) in logical places in the core settings windows.

What about "Interfaces" for all stuff like Airplay, UPnP and so on?

RE: Proposal for Kodi Settings Structure change - da-anda - 2015-03-03

what about a "meta-data" section unter "media management" thingy - there we could move all scrapers, thumbnail extraction (file lists + chapters), ...

(2015-03-03, 11:53)da-anda Wrote: what about a "meta-data" section unter "media management" thingy - there we could move all scrapers, thumbnail extraction (file lists + chapters), ...

Oh I like that. As for Weather and other settings that don't really fit - 'Other' would be a good option. I'll add a second revision to the first post and quote the first one.

(2015-03-03, 10:01)Ned Scott Wrote: I think at one point the thought was to remove "Weather" from settings all together, ever since weather became an add-on and was removed from the core of XBMC, and add-ons have their own settings.

In a perfect world, add-ons would also be able to inject their settings (or at least a button to go to their settings) in logical places in the core settings windows.

You still need a place where you can choose which weather addon you'd like to use. That's actually the only thing the "Weather" section/category is there for right now.

(2015-03-03, 11:53)da-anda Wrote: what about a "meta-data" section unter "media management" thingy - there we could move all scrapers, thumbnail extraction (file lists + chapters), ...
Currently the file lists stuff that has been in appearance is already in media management

Updated with revision 2, I've taken into consideration all suggestions made so far.

@Piers 3)e. does not exist, yet Wink
We have picture files and slideshow

(2015-03-03, 12:04)Montellese Wrote: You still need a place where you can choose which weather addon you'd like to use. That's actually the only thing the "Weather" section/category is there for right now.
If you have a section for scrapers, where you can choose which scraper shall be used for each section, there might also be the check for which weather addon to use?