Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - thess - 2014-04-03

Quote:Can you see your external drive contents when you choose 'Root filesystem' -> 'mnt' folder on XBMC?

I tried that, the drive wasn't there.

Updated info: I am now at home. I was able to start XBMC indexing my archived (television) content via smb share. I'm not sure I even have any 1080* content, now that I think about it, and I may not be much good to the high-end audio/videophiles. That said: my 720p content (think 1-2GB files in mkv or mov) is chugging a bit. :\ BUT:

--I don't have gotham installed (I don't think I'm too likely to set it up tonight, I would have to set the whole dev environment back up again)
--I'm on wifi to the network share (I will try running a wired connection to it later)
--XBMC is still building my library in the background

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - lrjensen - 2014-04-03

(2014-04-03, 21:55)thess Wrote:
Quote:Can you see your external drive contents when you choose 'Root filesystem' -> 'mnt' folder on XBMC?

Updated info: I am now at home. I was able to start XBMC indexing my archived (television) content via smb share. I'm not sure I even have any 1080* content, now that I think about it, and I may not be much good to the high-end audio/videophiles. That said: my 720p content (think 1-2GB files in mkv or mov) is chugging a bit. :\ BUT:

--I don't have gotham installed (I don't think I'm too likely to set it up tonight, I would have to set the whole dev environment back up again)
--I'm on wifi to the network share (I will try running a wired connection to it later)

It is worrying me that you say 720p content is chugging. Are you streaming via wifi or via ethernet/cable?

Edit: Sorry I just reread your post, you're on wifi.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - bainsbonds - 2014-04-03

Do you have a wireless G router or an N?

Update: Audio defaulted to analog in XBMC. I switched it to HDMI (I can try optical...at some point...someone may beat me to it), and surround seems to be working (i have a 5.0 system), at least on a file XBMC identifies as Dolby surround.

We are really limited with this remote. I miss having a Stop button. I'm also going to be curious to see if my Logitech smart control hub will talk to it (I think it has bluetooth).

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - radiohead6969 - 2014-04-03

you need to install gotham and will will have HW acceleration 12.3 does not

i works great with gotham i have an lg g pad and it has the same specs as the fire tv and it play everything perfect

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - MrMichaelJames - 2014-04-03

i'll be able to try with Gotham tonight, but someone might beat me to it by the time I get a chance, it'll be late.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - joeyf - 2014-04-03

(2014-04-03, 22:03)thess Wrote: We are really limited with this remote. I miss having a Stop button. I'm also going to be curious to see if my Logitech smart control hub will talk to it (I think it has bluetooth).

Maybe try to sideload Yatse or something? Great job on your work so far! I just got mine today, but only have been at it an hour or so. Wasn't sure about sideloading, so happy to see this thread. I at least tried Plex and that is running great so far. Anxious to install XBMC now! Hopefully, MLB at Bat!

Here's a link to a real manual. It says "The USB port currently does not support any accessories."

(2014-04-03, 22:18)joeyf Wrote:
(2014-04-03, 22:03)thess Wrote: We are really limited with this remote. I miss having a Stop button. I'm also going to be curious to see if my Logitech smart control hub will talk to it (I think it has bluetooth).

Maybe try to sideload Yatse or something? Great job on your work so far! I just got mine today, but only have been at it an hour or so. Wasn't sure about sideloading, so happy to see this thread. I at least tried Plex and that is running great so far. Anxious to install XBMC now! Hopefully, MLB at Bat!

Here's a link to a real manual. It says "The USB port currently does not support any accessories."

Sideload Yatse? for what reason

you install in on your phone or tablet to control xbmc

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - kentoe - 2014-04-03

(2014-04-03, 21:45)noggin Wrote:
(2014-04-03, 21:16)kentoe Wrote: Do you or anyone else know what the huge difference would be running XBMC off an apk like this and using an entire underlying linux build for xbmc? I haven't used it on Android before. Was hoping someone could crack this Fire TV open with Linux.

AIUI one of the main differences between Android and Linux builds is that the Android XBMC has less direct access to the underlying hardware - so useful things like being able to adjust refresh rate based on the video format (very useful for those of us in Europe who watch 50Hz, 60Hz and 24Hz content and want them played at native frame rate to remove judder) are possible under Linux, but Android doesn't let apps control refresh rate. Similarly bit streaming audio is trickier under Android AIUI.

On the other hand you get all the Android ecosystem apps (potentially including Netflix or Amazon Instant Video depending on Android platform?) with Android.

Thanks for the explanation. I couldn't find a real side-by-side comparison or, more of the "cons" running it on Android.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - joeyf - 2014-04-03

(2014-04-03, 22:20)radiohead6969 Wrote: Sideload Yatse? for what reason

you install in on your phone or tablet to control xbmc

Right I forgot, was confused with Droidmote where you need a server on the box and client on your phone Tongue

Switching to a wired connection doesn't help the chugging (I am still not using gotham, so don't panic yet). When I say chugging, I mean obviously dropping frames, and also eventual audio de-sync. Gets worse if you skip ahead in the file. (I have a wide range of file types, so it's not specific to a certain kind.) It's fine on SD files (< 1GB. My content is typically television episodes).

I don't think I'll be able to do much else for a while (if at all tonight), but the good news is XBMC definitely installs/loads, it talks to my home network, talks to my (lower end) surround sound system. And it sounds like gotham may run better. I expect in the next 24 hours people will be along with a lot more info.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - kentoe - 2014-04-03

(2014-04-03, 22:29)thess Wrote: Switching to a wired connection doesn't help the chugging (I am still not using gotham, so don't panic yet). When I say chugging, I mean obviously dropping frames, and also eventual audio de-sync. Gets worse if you skip ahead in the file. (I have a wide range of file types, so it's not specific to a certain kind.) It's fine on SD files (< 1GB. My content is typically television episodes).

I don't think I'll be able to do much else for a while (if at all tonight), but the good news is XBMC definitely installs/loads, it talks to my home network, talks to my (lower end) surround sound system. And it sounds like gotham may run better. I expect in the next 24 hours people will be along with a lot more info.

Appreciate the work you did Thess! Thanks.

Yeah that makes sense 12.3 drops frames on hd also using my nexus 5

in gotham they are now using mediacodec that will use the gpu to play all video files

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - riceandfajitas1 - 2014-04-03

(2014-04-03, 22:03)thess Wrote: Update: Audio defaulted to analog in XBMC. I switched it to HDMI (I can try optical...at some point...someone may beat me to it), and surround seems to be working (i have a 5.0 system), at least on a file XBMC identifies as Dolby surround.

We are really limited with this remote. I miss having a Stop button. I'm also going to be curious to see if my Logitech smart control hub will talk to it (I think it has bluetooth).

I have a Flirc receiver that I might use with FireTV since I can map XBMC functions to my receiver's remote control. Hopefully a USB hub will work so I can plug a HDD and a Flirc in.

also try this version it is for the ouya but it works great on all the other android devices i tested it on and it has pass-through audio support

http://filez.semperpax.com/wuhl4