Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - cstark27 - 2014-05-08

I also have the same issue. I just manually put in the server. I think you click add location and type smb://your_computer_name/

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - ixian - 2014-05-08

(2014-05-08, 13:29)jtr2006 Wrote:
(2014-05-07, 20:13)lartomar2002 Wrote:
(2014-05-07, 14:02)jtr2006 Wrote: Like the new icon and the new name. Seems like a winner to me. Hoping Amazon lets it into the app store soon!
I do not think Amazon will ever support XBMC on the Fire because they can not generate any revenue from it. Just the opposite, they will lose revenue because most people will use XBMC rather than rent or buy videos from their site. Also they will lose what ever moneys they get from Netflix when someone rents a video.

I am also skeptical about whether Amazon will let an XBMC launcher into their app store. It may come down to how knowledgeable the person or team is about what XBMC can be used for. On one hand, it's nearly identical to PLEX in that it enables easy access to local content on your home PC. They appear to be OK with that. On the other hand, XBMC has a larger developer community and more add-ons. Of course PLEX also has several unsupported apps, but the development community for PLEX add-ons is much smaller than XBMC's.

So I think it will be an interesting test. They could argue that if they allow PLEX, why not an XBMC launcher? They could also dismiss XBMC and say they already allow PLEX so no one needs another tool to access local media. A generic launcher that allows devs to put their apps on the home screen shouldn't be out of the question. I mean it's not Apple, it's Android. So maybe something that launches apps after the user selects one from a menu of all installed apps the way Autopilot does gets it through. We will have to see. I just applaud who.is.matt for being the first to try!

People need to stop comparing XMBC and Plex in this context. The Plex app does no decoding of it's own. That is the biggest reason it's on the Amazon (and Play, etc) stores and XBMC isn't - the app doesn't contain any technology that is held as IP by some other company, like Dolby or MPEG-LA.

This is a huge difference and cannot be forgotten - the FireTV Plex app (which requires a separate back-end server to function) and XBMC are very different apps under the hood though they may appear to offer the same kind of functionality. People need to get it out of their heads that Plex is a "fork" of XBMC - that only applies to Plex Home Theater, the HTPC client (and even then only some of it) not the mobile apps or the back end server.

Anyway *that's* why Plex is on the store.

The potential problem with the XBMC on Fire launcher is that it's only purpose is to allow sideloaded apps the same home-screen access as store apps - and that may not even be a problem. We don't even know if Amazon cares about that - for all we know having to launch sideloaded apps through the settings menu is an oversight or something they plan to fix later. We do know they allow apps to be sideloaded, just like on the Fire tablets, so there's no issues there. So the real question we're all waiting to learn the answer to is: Will this app make it through? That will tell us a lot about what they think about sideloaded apps in general, i.e. are they deliberately making them second-class.

As for what XBMC actually does I am sure no one at Amazon cares, they aren't going to go out of their way to help it but I doubt it even registers on their radar.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Jägs - 2014-05-08

(2014-05-08, 14:09)hdmkv Wrote:
(2014-05-08, 04:56)Jägs Wrote:
(2014-05-07, 15:50)hdmkv Wrote: Thanks, will try that and report back shortly. But, it's odd that container would matter. Hopefully, if just container issue, it should be fixable in XBMC.

Update: Just tested 'The Dark Knight Rises' and 'Django Unchained' in m2ts containers and perfect playback! Great, but why not in MKV?!

I also use MakeMKV to rip my Blurays. For what you did above, was the result like this:

Dark Knight Rises [folder]
--BDMV [folder; contains STREAM/*.m2ts]
--CERTIFICATE [folder]
--(etc.)

This is what I use, and if these play back well, I think I'll take the plunge and replace my ATV2 with the AFTV.

No, you don't need a Blu-ray folder structure. Open tsMuxeR, then drag and drop your MKV in. Choose 'M2TS muxing', then click 'Start muxing'. That's it. You'll lose chapters, but retain all audio and subtitle tracks I believe.

Thanks for the response! I'm actually interest in seeing if anyone uses the same setup as I described above, not converting it into another container format, as it would require me to redo about 200 Bluray rips.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - MiyamotosRGBNES - 2014-05-08

(2014-05-08, 15:45)cstark27 Wrote: I also have the same issue. I just manually put in the server. I think you click add location and type smb://your_computer_name/

You went to "Windows SMB" and put it in there?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - underworld123 - 2014-05-08

(2014-05-08, 17:53)MiyamotosRGBNES Wrote: You went to "Windows SMB" and put it in there?

It may be easier to edit the sources.xml manually and add your SMB source as smb://USERTongueASS@IP_ADDRESS/FOLDER

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - navigates - 2014-05-08

I use ES File Explorer File Manager. It sets up an FTP Explorer from your PC so you can drag and drop. Very convenient if you don't want to play with the ADP /Shell commands

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - cstark27 - 2014-05-08

(2014-05-08, 17:53)MiyamotosRGBNES Wrote:
(2014-05-08, 15:45)cstark27 Wrote: I also have the same issue. I just manually put in the server. I think you click add location and type smb://your_computer_name/

You went to "Windows SMB" and put it in there?

When you click Browse when adding a video source, scroll to the bottom and select add network location. I think it defaults to Windows Share (SMB), which is what you use if you are just sharing folders/drives. Then I just typed in my PC name (htpc), and user and pass.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - MrCrispy - 2014-05-08

How is the Fire TV compared to the newer Android boxes? For XBMC as well as other usage, not including Prime content. I'd imagine the Android boxes would be open and easier to use a custom rom.

More specifically, how is the Snapdragon 600 performance compared to AmLogic S802, RK3188 etc?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - schwang - 2014-05-08

Ok. So I switched to Gotham, tried to install xbmc backup. It goes for like 2 seconds, says working, then nothing. Then I try to download a new skin (a compatible one) it downloads it 100 per cent the says working, then nothing. It doesn't prompt me to switch skins and it doesn't even appear on my options.

What the heck! Please help as I already deleted the ouya version and want to get this set up.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - kamla - 2014-05-08

hi all,

i installed the latest version of xbmc - xbmc-13.0-armeabi-v7a.apk

but i cannot seem to install and new skins or even the xbmc log uploader

but every thing else work just fine

has any one seen this issue before?
any advice
Thax
Kamla

(2014-05-08, 21:46)kamla Wrote: hi all,

i installed the latest version of xbmc - xbmc-13.0-armeabi-v7a.apk

but i cannot seem to install and new skins or even the xbmc log uploader

but every thing else work just fine

has any one seen this issue before?
any advice
Thax
Kamla

Sounds like you're having the same issue I am. I can't get any add ons or skins to install.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - xiaNaix - 2014-05-08

I think it's a problem with the XBMC repo. I was having the same issue earlier today on both Fire TV and PC installs.

(2014-05-08, 22:04)xiaNaix Wrote: I think it's a problem with the XBMC repo. I was having the same issue earlier today on both Fire TV and PC installs.

Ok. Thanks.

I hope that's it. Confused

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - underworld123 - 2014-05-08

(2014-05-08, 22:04)xiaNaix Wrote: I think it's a problem with the XBMC repo. I was having the same issue earlier today on both Fire TV and PC installs.

Yes, googlecode seems to be having issues with git repos today. Give it some time...

Ok. Now when I try and add a share folder from my pc, it freezes up. Not happy with Gotham so far.