Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Harve19 - 2014-06-03

I have not seeing this brought up before, but has anyone had any issues with Youtube while XBMC is running?

I am running 13.1 beta 2 and while XBMC is running, either switching to Youtube from XBMC or XBMC running in the background, Youtube will load, but once I try to play a video, the program closes. It's no biggie, but I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue?

Also, I want to thank everyone that has working on this. FireTV plus XBMC has finally allowed me to stop using my Windows computer.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - wunderdrug - 2014-06-03

(2014-06-02, 18:55)navigates Wrote: Thanks for the reply and sorry for writing back late.
With a sftp server do the trick with rewind forward etc? I'm thinking of
www.coreftp.com/server/

Are there any other free recommended?

Hi. I guess you are running Windows, eh? I guess I just assumed
you were running some *nix variant (like Linux) since you mentioned
Samba and not SMB/CIFS/Windows Share (Samba is actually the
open-source implementation of the Microsoft SMB/CIFS protocol
for *nix type systems).

Anyway, I'm using a Linux server so basically OpenSSH is the "default".
I really don't have one I can recommend for Windows. Maybe someone
else can help you with that. I have used OpenSSH via Cygwin on Windows
in the past, but I would not recommend it if you are not familiar with *nix
(as it is a bit of an ordeal to setup since it's basically an *nix environment for
Windows).

I can say that CoreFTP is not the solution you are looking for. What you
linked is an FTP/SFTP client. What you want is a server implementation.
Your XBMC will be the client (which has SFTP support built-in).

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - wunderdrug - 2014-06-03

(2014-05-20, 19:07)jobespierre Wrote: In my experience, i have no problem with mediacodec and libstagefright both turned on, everything plays. My first question is anyone could tell me the difference between the two and what turning them on actually does?

I guess no one answered this question, so I guess I'll take a stab at it.
I did a little bit of research and this is what I found:

Both are APIs to access hardware acceleration on Android devices
(which is what Fire TV basically is).

Before Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean), there was no official API for hardware
video decoding. So, libstagefright was created as an unofficial hack to
allow for hardware acceleration on Android devices using private APIs.

As of Android 4.1 and above Android added official hardware video
acceleration to the public API. This is known as mediacodec, and XBMC
had added support for this. Now, since Fire OS 3.0 (which is what
AFTV runs) is based on Android 4.2.2, it gains support for mediacodec.

Only one API will get used. If you have both selected, mediacodec
is used (unless the version of Android does not support it, then it uses
libstagefright -- but this does not really apply to the Fire TV). If you
do not have mediacodec selected, you are forcing it to use libstagefright.
If you have neither selected, it's equivalent to not running any hardware
acceleration at all (equivalent to disabling the feature by selecting
"Software" as the "Decoding method").

Hopefully what I summarized is correct, but I'm sure someone will
correct me if not.

References:
http://babylon.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=168268&page=99
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_OS
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=180872

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - User 162486 - 2014-06-03

(2014-04-11, 10:53)Enesce Wrote: Can anyone report on the playback quality of 10-bit (hi10p) encoded mkv files? Would love to know if the software processor on the Fire TV is strong enough to do 10-bit videos without much pixelation.
I would like to know this as well. I have a lot of 10bit anime and would purchase if it could play.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Ned Scott - 2014-06-03

(2014-06-03, 09:32)watchgintama Wrote:
(2014-04-11, 10:53)Enesce Wrote: Can anyone report on the playback quality of 10-bit (hi10p) encoded mkv files? Would love to know if the software processor on the Fire TV is strong enough to do 10-bit videos without much pixelation.
I would like to know this as well. I have a lot of 10bit anime and would purchase if it could play.

Highly doubtful. I would be surprised if it were able to.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - User 162486 - 2014-06-03

(2014-06-03, 09:47)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-06-03, 09:32)watchgintama Wrote:

That's a shame. None of the android boxes support 10bit. I guess I'll have to go with intel.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Apothis - 2014-06-03

(2014-06-03, 09:58)watchgintama Wrote:
(2014-06-03, 09:47)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2014-06-03, 09:32)watchgintama Wrote: I would like to know this as well. I have a lot of 10bit anime and would purchase if it could play.

That's a shame. None of the android boxes support 10bit. I guess I'll have to go with intel.

Got a link to any (legal) example content? Happy to give it a go and report back

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - dukester - 2014-06-03

heres a link to some hi10p anime sample file, legal content im pretty sure.

http://www.koi-sama.net/files/hi10/

or here

http://android.tnonline.net/Software/Video/Hi10P%20Software/

im trying a file from the second link. will report back in a few minutes

OK i tried 2 files, both crash xbmc instantly.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Apothis - 2014-06-03

Tried the hotd one from the 2nd link

Mediacodec enabled = Crash out of XBMC
LibStageFright enabled = Plays audio only, no video
HW accel disabled = Crash out of XBMC

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - dukester - 2014-06-03

Speaking of video files and formats, I had once replied to a guy in this thread saying that all of my media library was working 100%, he was having issues with playback of bluray rips and certain movies. I'm also seeing this in a few movies, star wars return of the Jedi messes up with green pixelation right after the intro and transformers revenge of the fallen imax edition does it 45 or so minutes into the movie. Both openelec and Xbmc for Windows play them fine.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - indigest - 2014-06-03

I have been playing with a Fire TV for about a week, but I'm not satisfied with the software decoding of MPEG-2. The device is most likely getting returned unless I can figure something out. I've tried Gotham 13.0, 13.1 RC1, and SPMC 12.4.2. They all have provided a similar experience for me in terms of video decoding.

I have tried MPEG-2 with 1080i and 720p with all combinations of libstagefright, MediaCodec, software decoding, and multithreading. The best one is libstagefright only, but I'm still not satisfied with it. It seems that the CPU cannot keep up with high bitrate (>12Mbps) streams and I get dropped frames. Lower bitrate streams are also unacceptable as they appear slightly jerky and they are not de-interlaced (where applicable). 480p MPEG-2 videos look perfect, but I don't care about those. H.264 videos also look perfect, but most of my content is MPEG-2.

I have enabled buffermode=1 and 100MB buffer in my advancedsettings.xml and have confirmed that the dropped frames are not occurring due to network congestion.

I'm comparing the video quality to my Nexus 4 or a PC with hardware acceleration for MPEG-2. On those devices, the MPEG-2 decoding is excellent.

I'm disappointed because Fire TV seems like a perfect device for me with the exception of lack of hardware acceleration for MPEG-2. Now, I'm planning to watch closely what happens with the Android TV announcement at the end of this month.

EDIT: I was able to resolve this issue by changing the Fire TV display settings to 720p 60Hz instead of Auto. I discovered this after noticing that non-XBMC videos also had slight jerkiness.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - logan_x50 - 2014-06-03

(2014-06-03, 09:17)wunderdrug Wrote:
(2014-05-20, 19:07)jobespierre Wrote: In my experience, i have no problem with mediacodec and libstagefright both turned on, everything plays. My first question is anyone could tell me the difference between the two and what turning them on actually does?

I guess no one answered this question, so I guess I'll take a stab at it.
I did a little bit of research and this is what I found:

Both are APIs to access hardware acceleration on Android devices
(which is what Fire TV basically is).

Before Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean), there was no official API for hardware
video decoding. So, libstagefright was created as an unofficial hack to
allow for hardware acceleration on Android devices using private APIs.

As of Android 4.1 and above Android added official hardware video
acceleration to the public API. This is known as mediacodec, and XBMC
had added support for this. Now, since Fire OS 3.0 (which is what
AFTV runs) is based on Android 4.2.2, it gains support for mediacodec.

Only one API will get used. If you have both selected, mediacodec
is used (unless the version of Android does not support it, then it uses
libstagefright -- but this does not really apply to the Fire TV). If you
do not have mediacodec selected, you are forcing it to use libstagefright.
If you have neither selected, it's equivalent to not running any hardware
acceleration at all (equivalent to disabling the feature by selecting
"Software" as the "Decoding method").

Hopefully what I summarized is correct, but I'm sure someone will
correct me if not.

References:
http://babylon.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=168268&page=99
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_OS
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=180872

...thanks this is very enlightening...and yet I think mediacodec is advised to be disabled on XBMC+AFTV. Is that incorrect advice?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - z31fanatic - 2014-06-03

(2014-06-03, 07:13)Harve19 Wrote: , Youtube will load, but once I try to play a video, the program closes. It's no biggie, but I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue?

Yes, it has happened many times to me. I have uninstalled and installed the youtube app many times and it still does it most of the time. I think the app is broken on the FTV.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - rushingjs - 2014-06-03

(2014-06-03, 15:26)indigest Wrote: I have been playing with a Fire TV for about a week, but I'm not satisfied with the software decoding of MPEG-2. The device is most likely getting returned unless I can figure something out. I've tried Gotham 13.0, 13.1 RC1, and SPMC 12.4.2. They all have provided a similar experience for me in terms of video decoding.

I have tried MPEG-2 with 1080i and 720p with all combinations of libstagefright, MediaCodec, software decoding, and multithreading. The best one is libstagefright only, but I'm still not satisfied with it. It seems that the CPU cannot keep up with high bitrate (>12Mbps) streams and I get dropped frames. Lower bitrate streams are also unacceptable as they appear slightly jerky and they are not de-interlaced (where applicable). 480p MPEG-2 videos look perfect, but I don't care about those. H.264 videos also look perfect, but most of my content is MPEG-2.

I have enabled buffermode=1 and 100MB buffer in my advancedsettings.xml and have confirmed that the dropped frames are not occurring due to network congestion.

I'm comparing the video quality to my Nexus 4 or a PC with hardware acceleration for MPEG-2. On those devices, the MPEG-2 decoding is excellent.

I'm disappointed because Fire TV seems like a perfect device for me with the exception of lack of hardware acceleration for MPEG-2. Now, I'm planning to watch closely what happens with the Android TV announcement at the end of this month.

Anybody else have issues with high bitrate, HD MPEG2 video? Earlier in the thread I saw some users state that HD MPEG2 worked fine with software decoding. I would potentially be using the AFT to play 1080i ATSC video from a mythtv PVR backend, so this is critical for me before I decide to buy this device.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - mediumdry - 2014-06-03

(2014-06-03, 17:12)z31fanatic Wrote:
(2014-06-03, 07:13)Harve19 Wrote: , Youtube will load, but once I try to play a video, the program closes. It's no biggie, but I was just wondering if anyone else has seen this issue?

Yes, it has happened many times to me. I have uninstalled and installed the youtube app many times and it still does it most of the time. I think the app is broken on the FTV.

are you talking about the youtube app for the fire tv or the youtube plugin in XBMC on the fire tv?