Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - lunkhound - 2014-06-15

(2014-06-14, 23:16)toddhutch Wrote:
(2014-06-13, 19:46)lunkhound Wrote:
(2014-06-13, 08:01)wunderdrug Wrote: I'm not sure if this will work for you if you have the same issue I do.
I am unable to get optical audio out to work if I do not have an HDMI
display connected. You can refer to my previous post on how I am
not able to get optical audio out to work with a DVI monitor (using an
HDMI to DVI adapter), but I also figured out that it would fail with no
display connected. So, in short, no HDMI display connected, no audio
out through optical.

Actually I've been able to get optical audio out without an HDMI display connected. It seems that connecting to the HDMI switch in my AV receiver (with no display device attached) is enough to satisfy the FTV. The AV receiver needs to be powered on for this to work, however.
I've ordered a cheap (less than $10) standalone HDMI switch to see if that will also work. A passive switch won't work, but an active switch MIGHT work. An HDMI repeater might also work. I expect to have the switch tomorrow, I'll report back when I've tried it.
If your $10 option works, please report back, as I am not sure which of the many options to try. I'd like the first one I buy to work. ?

Sadly, the cheap HDMI switch I bought didn't work (for my purpose). Sad
It was a "Portta PET0301S 3x1 HDMI Switcher with 3D Support - No power supply needed". So I don't recommend that one!
On the positive side, the FTV was able to power the HDMI switch via its HDMI output. That means it should be possible to find a switch that works without needing its own power cord.
So to recap, plugging the FTV into an HDMI input on my Denon 3311ci AV receiver (with no display attached) allows the FTV to output audio on SPDIF optical. Plugging the FTV into this cheap HDMI switch did NOT allow SPDIF audio.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - toddhutch - 2014-06-15

(2014-06-15, 02:58)lunkhound Wrote:
(2014-06-14, 23:16)toddhutch Wrote:
(2014-06-13, 19:46)lunkhound Wrote: Actually I've been able to get optical audio out without an HDMI display connected. It seems that connecting to the HDMI switch in my AV receiver (with no display device attached) is enough to satisfy the FTV. The AV receiver needs to be powered on for this to work, however.
I've ordered a cheap (less than $10) standalone HDMI switch to see if that will also work. A passive switch won't work, but an active switch MIGHT work. An HDMI repeater might also work. I expect to have the switch tomorrow, I'll report back when I've tried it.
If your $10 option works, please report back, as I am not sure which of the many options to try. I'd like the first one I buy to work. ?

It was a "Portta PET0301S 3x1 HDMI Switcher with 3D Support - No power supply needed". So I don't recommend that one!
On the positive side, the FTV was able to power the HDMI switch via its HDMI output. That means it should be possible to find a switch that works without needing its own power cord.
So to recap, plugging the FTV into an HDMI input on my Denon 3311ci AV receiver (with no display attached) allows the FTV to output audio on SPDIF optical. Plugging the FTV into this cheap HDMI switch did NOT allow SPDIF audio.

I ordered the in that Ned Scott suggested, which also has an analog port. http://www.dx.com/p/hdv-m612-hdmi-to-hdmi-audio-video-converter-white-153709#.U5u-aBaSOz0

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - krasny - 2014-06-15

It seems that geohot root for Galaxy S5 works with Amazon Fire TV.

XDA Geohot thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

XDA Amazon fire tv root thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2711178&page=21

We have root!

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - bluechris - 2014-06-15

Just tried it... and im trying to install supersu but says success in adb but i dont find it inside the FTV

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - bluechris - 2014-06-15

Supersu is fine.... great news guys

Quick steps to get root:

1º- download tr.apk from towelroot.com
2º - Sideupload tr.apk
3º - Download UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.99r4.zip and extract "Superuser.apk" from common folder
4º - Sideupload Superuser.apk
5º- execute tr.apk
done!

sorry duplicate post

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - ahoslc - 2014-06-15

USB Storage working download [root] StickMount 3.01 Wink

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - jjhtpc - 2014-06-15

Replaced classic TV images and with llama and root there is now an "xbmc app" on the home screen.

Images are in /sdcard/imagecache.

There is probably a better way to get the true xbmc app on the home screen.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - mjbxx - 2014-06-15

(2014-06-15, 22:38)jjhtpc Wrote: Replaced classic TV images and with llama and root there is now an "xbmc app" on the home screen.

How did you do this? The steps necessary would be very helpful to new users. Thanks in advance.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - elmerohueso - 2014-06-16

(2014-06-15, 22:38)jjhtpc Wrote: Replaced classic TV images and with llama and root there is now an "xbmc app" on the home screen.

Good idea. Wonder if we can even edit listed apps' names to completely hijack an app.
I'm actually more interesting in making XBMC the launcher (when you hit Home). I know it's possible to easily add the Home intent to XBMC, but we've got to figure out how to un-bind FTV Launcher first.
All other apps I want could be accessed directly via XBMC.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - hdmkv - 2014-06-16

Very cool. Please post instructions on how to do this, including the XBMC icon graphic.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - lunkhound - 2014-06-16

(2014-06-15, 18:56)toddhutch Wrote:
(2014-06-15, 02:58)lunkhound Wrote:
(2014-06-14, 23:16)toddhutch Wrote: If your $10 option works, please report back, as I am not sure which of the many options to try. I'd like the first one I buy to work. ?

I ordered the in that Ned Scott suggested, which also has an analog port. http://www.dx.com/p/hdv-m612-hdmi-to-hdmi-audio-video-converter-white-153709#.U5u-aBaSOz0

I hope you have better luck than I did! Please report back either way, it may help me decide what to try next.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - jjhtpc - 2014-06-16

(2014-06-15, 23:57)mjbxx Wrote:

How did you do this? The steps necessary would be very helpful to new users. Thanks in advance.
Steps
1. download tr.apk from towelroot.com
2. Adb install tr.apk
3. Launch tr.apk on fire
4. Install a file manager (your choice there are many es file manager worked for me)
5. Adb push xbmc.png. you can find app icons on the xbmc wiki.
6.replace all of the images in the /sdcard/imagecache/com.amazon.venzia/com.adrise.profilms/B00IIPRAZB4 folder with the xbmc.png image making sure to retain the original images name (ex thumbnail_4312.....) you can get the original name by highlighting the original png and then hitting properties and copy full path. Delete the original them rename xbmc.png to the full path paste removing folder info.

7. Repeat this for all of the images in this folder.

8. Reboot the fire TV and voila the home screen app for classic TV is an xbmc icon.

9. Dance around because now you can leave the fire TV on the home screen and your wife can find it.

10. MOST IMPORTANT STEP donate to geohot the developer who cracked the permissions for root.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - esaba - 2014-06-16

Step-by-step guide to root the Fire TV with screenshots

Also, important to block OTA updates to keep root