Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - newbie2517 - 2014-04-03

Were you able to do any live streaming? I do alot of that. Will a newbie like myself be capable of installing? I currently have a gbox and was thinking of buying another box.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - ukyank - 2014-04-03

Fingers crossed that this proves to be the one box that rules them all.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - rogerthis - 2014-04-03

Could you try xbmctorrent?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - awp0 - 2014-04-03

Thess, I'm psyched you were able to get it up and running. Nice job! I know a lot of people here would love to understand how it handles certain formats. DTS audio and MPEG2 are noticeably absent from Amazon's specs page, so I know a lot of us are interested to learn how it handles those. The MPEG2 would require a 1080i or 1080p test video file to be useful. I'm sure the CPU can decode the SD formats, but the full HD MPEG2 formats are what people would be interested in, because it's important for PVR functionality.

Also, I'm sure this is a long shot, but if you have a Kill-A-Watt device then I'd be curious to know the operating power consumption (in watts).

Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - ilovemymac - 2014-04-03

(2014-04-03, 20:50)newbie2517 Wrote: Were you able to do any live streaming? I do alot of that. Will a newbie like myself be capable of installing? I currently have a gbox and was thinking of buying another box.

If this doesn't id re commend not getting a gbox. Why people use those I don't know they are slow and the company is awful with support. Well really they won't provide any support.
I like the minix x7 mini with quick shot rom on it it runs Xbmc quite well. But this with Netflix HD and AMA on could be great

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - rj2763 - 2014-04-03

I am wondering how voice control works

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - lrjensen - 2014-04-03

(2014-04-03, 20:56)awp0 Wrote: Thess, I'm psyched you were able to get it up and running. Nice job! I know a lot of people here would love to understand how it handles certain formats. DTS audio and MPEG2 are noticeably absent from Amazon's specs page, so I know a lot of us are interested to learn how it handles those. The MPEG2 would require a 1080i or 1080p test video file to be useful. I'm sure the CPU can decode the SD formats, but the full HD MPEG2 formats are what people would be interested in, because it's important for PVR functionality.

Also, I'm sure this is a long shot, but if you have a Kill-A-Watt device then I'd be curious to know the operating power consumption (in watts).

I second that.
I am very interested in how it handles MKV containers with H264 video and AC3 audio.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - rogerthis - 2014-04-03

Did you try the voice activated search within xbmc?

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - riceandfajitas1 - 2014-04-03

I'd definitely be interested in this for local MKV content with my USB drive. I'm curious if it will support NTFS formatted drives and USB hubs also. Would love to get rid of the buggy Ouya if possible.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - pietia7 - 2014-04-03

I'm also very interested to know if xbmc on fire tv handles files on usb drive.. I'm not sure how much Fire OS is modified from android in this aspect. For having a standalone media box this is a must.. Smile

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - allanon09 - 2014-04-03

With XBMC sideloaded, does it show up on the main menu/launcher somewhere? I hope the answer is yes but Amazon's site says you have to go to Settings > Applications to launch your app.

Source https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/asb/app-install.html and scroll to "Running your App (Device)"

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - thess - 2014-04-03

I still can't think of a way to get test content to it. While it's browsing nfs shares at work okay on the network, the local smb shares aren't showing up in the way I would have expected. I expect this has more to do with my work network than xbmc though, and I expect my NAS at home will be fine. It just means I don't have anywhere to drop stuff for the moment.

Meanwhile, I connected an NTFS formatted external drive to the Fire's USB port, but I don't think it's really working. You can browse to 'external storage' on xbmc but it looks like it's actually showing you local (device) files there.

XBMC does not appear in launcher, just in the Settings menu as per amazon's page.

(FWIW--I'm not any kind of XBMC expert, just an 'intermediate' user of several years, and I have no idea what I'm doing with android for the most part. I think I only ended up here with it working first because a) I got overnight shipping to my office, b) I'm extremely stubborn and have been trying to find the holy grail xbmc solution for a while, and c) I follow instructions pretty well. By which I mean to say: I think people who actually know what they are talking about will be involved soon enough.)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - daweeze02 - 2014-04-03

I get mine tomorrow and will load xbmc with mashup on it and see how the live streaming goes.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - kentoe - 2014-04-03

Thess, thanks for checking some of this out.

What in particular APK are you using to sideload onto the Fire TV?

Super intrigued how well this will work out. Currently using a Raspbmc build on a raspberry pi and this device could potentially be a gamechanger.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - thess - 2014-04-03

(2014-04-03, 21:09)kentoe Wrote: Thess, thanks for checking some of this out.

What in particular APK are you using to sideload onto the Fire TV?

Super intrigued how well this will work out. Currently using a Raspbmc build on a raspberry pi and this device could potentially be a gamechanger.

xbmc-12.3-Frodo-armeabi-v7a.apk