Kodi Community Forum
Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC (/showthread.php?tid=191109)

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - crackd - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-16, 17:53)cbiggers Wrote: I'd like to buy a Amazon Fire, but my whole movie collection is in dvd iso format. Can XBMC sideloaded on the fire play my dvd isos from my network share (nfs / smb)?

Yes, plays my DVD ISOs fine, at least the ones I ripped w/out menus.. (didn't try any with menus)

Re: RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - jdtimmons - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-16, 18:11)crackd Wrote:
(2014-04-16, 17:53)cbiggers Wrote: I'd like to buy a Amazon Fire, but my whole movie collection is in dvd iso format. Can XBMC sideloaded on the fire play my dvd isos from my network share (nfs / smb)?

Yes, plays my DVD ISOs fine, at least the ones I ripped w/out menus.. (didn't try any with menus)

All my dvd ISOs with menus play fine. ..

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - underworld123 - 2014-04-16

Since we are having issues with h.264/divx/xvid, wondering what are the "optimal" codecs to be used with this device. I have a few video files and I am happy to recode them, if required.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - n3on - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-16, 18:28)underworld123 Wrote: Since we are having issues with h.264/divx/xvid, wondering what are the "optimal" codecs to be used with this device. I have a few video files and I am happy to recode them, if required.

Convert them to a series of bitmaps, load them with XBMC's picture viewer, turn on slide show, crank up the picture change rate to 1/30 of a second.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Lunatixz - 2014-04-16

Don't want to hijack this thread, so a pm response would be appreciated...

Those of you using XBMC on firetv, can you tell me if PseudoTV Live runs?
and I was told direct "android app" loading is possible from within xbmc.

Can someone favorite an android app from within xbmc and send me the link that is generated in favorites.xml. I would like to add support for this feature to my plugin.

Thanks

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - toddhutch - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-16, 16:34)Koying Wrote: Could you test this build, please: http://mirrors.xbmc.org/test-builds/android/arm/xbmc-20140416-4b99220-AmazonFire-armeabi-v7a.apk

What I'd need:
- XBMC log of VC1 run, both mediacodec & libstagefright
- XBMC log of MPEG2 run (as it seems it should be accelerated), both mediacodec & libstagefright

There are some mediacodec fixes in there, so you can try a h264 run, too, to see if it solves the jerkyness.

Settings with both Mediacodec and Libstagefright on-

I've tried a MPEG2 1080i, works great. The HDDVD failed to show video, but I did hear audio. I was using this test file http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/vc1..._hddvd.mkv

Here are the logs-

http://xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=175412

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - davilla - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-16, 18:28)underworld123 Wrote: Since we are having issues with h.264/divx/xvid, wondering what are the "optimal" codecs to be used with this device. I have a few video files and I am happy to recode them, if required.

take them out of that outdated and terrible container known as 'avi' Smile

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Tinwarble - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-16, 18:45)davilla Wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Don't know why anyone is still using those (that) containers anymore.

Besides, saying that you have a issue with divx/xvid isn't the same as saying there is an issue with h.264. Divx/Xvid is a container and h.264 is a codec and you really need to know both as some devices only support specific codecs in specific containers.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Tropps - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-16, 18:37)Lunatixz Wrote: Don't want to hijack this thread, so a pm response would be appreciated...

Those of you using XBMC on firetv, can you tell me if PseudoTV Live runs?
and I was told direct "android app" loading is possible from within xbmc.

Can someone favorite an android app from within xbmc and send me the link that is generated in favorites.xml. I would like to add support for this feature to my plugin.

Thanks

I've been using PseduoTV Live on my Fire TV since last weekend. Works pretty smooth for me. Only hiccup I've noticed so far is when going through the channel guide, as soon as my music videos channel pops up, it begins to lag. After that channel is off the screen, it picks up again. I'm still playing with the music videos so I might be doing something wrong. I only have three or four music videos added so far.

I can try the app favorite deal when I get home.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - PK21 - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-16, 16:44)MrMichaelJames Wrote:
(2014-04-16, 16:40)PK21 Wrote: Any progress/plans on the xvid/divx/avi jerky video issue?

look 2 posts up...geez

I can play mkv, MPEG2 and mp4 files fine. My question was specifically on xvid.divx avi files. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that is addressed by this test build

Geez

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - n3on - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-16, 18:55)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2014-04-16, 18:45)davilla Wrote:

My thoughts exactly. Don't know why anyone is still using those (that) containers anymore.

Besides, saying that you have a issue with divx/xvid isn't the same as saying there is an issue with h.264. Divx/Xvid is a container and h.264 is a codec and you really need to know both as some devices only support specific codecs in specific containers.

Because I have 10+ years of a media collection and not the resources/desire to re-encode them all. Also what container do you recommend? I find it incredibly hard to believe that playing old 480p video in Xvid/Divx should be a problem considering my xbox running xbmc4xbox streams it flawlessly. There's gotta be a simple solution if it was mastered 10+ years ago.

(2014-04-16, 19:18)PK21 Wrote:
(2014-04-16, 16:44)MrMichaelJames Wrote:
(2014-04-16, 16:40)PK21 Wrote: Any progress/plans on the xvid/divx/avi jerky video issue?

look 2 posts up...geez

I can play mkv, MPEG2 and mp4 files fine. My question was specifically on xvid.divx avi files. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that is addressed by this test build

Geez

No beta 4/firetv build did not solve this, at least in my experience.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Koying - 2014-04-16

Those having divx/xvid/mp4 issues, could you try adding:
Code:
<advancedsettings>
[...]
  <video>
    <stagefright>
      <useMP4codec>0</useMP4codec>
    </stagefright>
  </video>
[...]
</advancedsettings>
to advancedsettings.xml.

This disable h/w decoding for mp4, but the chip should be able to decode it in software easily.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - Tinwarble - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-16, 19:21)n3on Wrote: Because I have 10+ years of a media collection and not the resources/desire to re-encode them all. Also what container do you recommend? I find it incredibly hard to believe that playing old 480p video in Xvid/Divx should be a problem considering my xbox running xbmc4xbox streams it flawlessly. There's gotta be a simple solution if it was mastered 10+ years ago.

Again, those are just containers. Most likely they are MPEG 4 (codec), which is supported by the Fire TV, but that does not mean that divx/xvid/MPEG 4 is supported, Amazon doesn't make the distinction.

Yes, h.264 may be having the same or similar issues but that doesn't mean that they are caused by the same thing and it depends on what you mean by "jerky" since if you have a lot of jerkiness then it's not the same as h.264 which is small and irregular.

But as far as recommendation, either mkv/h.264 or mp4/h.264 which are more "universal".

Also, you don't necessarily need to re-encode. You could just run them through mkvtoolnix and do container swap, which should only take a couple of mins. per vid.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - hdmkv - 2014-04-16

Are remote keymaps affected by which skin you use? Tried option 3 from wiki and a no-go for me on SPMC 12.4.2. I'm using Bello and just trying to use the ff/rew buttons on the Fire TV remote.

RE: Amazon Fire TV for XBMC - tomatosoup - 2014-04-16

(2014-04-16, 20:06)hdmkv Wrote: Are remote keymaps affected by which skin you use? Tried option 3 from wiki and a no-go for me on SPMC 12.4.2. I'm using Bello and just trying to use the ff/rew buttons on the Fire TV remote.

The fast forward and rewind buttons can only be mapped in the most recent Gotham build, which you can find a link to on the wiki.