Kodi Community Forum
Kodi logo user feedback, part 2 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Kodi logo user feedback, part 2 (/showthread.php?tid=208607)

Pages: 1 2 3

Kodi logo user feedback, part 2 - Ned Scott - 2014-11-12

In the spirit of involving the community more, I want to hear what our users think of the current candidates for the final Kodi logo. I feel that Team Kodi has been a little too closed with the discussion, which was done to help speed things up, but that doesn't seem to be happening anyway.

Before I show you the lastest versions that are being worked on, first let me show the results of the big logo poll: http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_debb84ea290101a4&rkey=2cedf4f257cc1fdd

RE: Kodi logo user feedback, part 2 - steeb - 2014-11-12

(2014-11-12, 02:17)Ned Scott Wrote: In the spirit of involving the community more, I want to hear what our users think of the current candidates for the final Kodi logo. I feel that Team Kodi has been a little too closed with the discussion, which was done to help speed things up, but that doesn't seem to be happening anyway.

Before I show you the lastest versions that are being worked on, first let me show the results of the big logo poll: http://civs.cs.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/results.pl?id=E_debb84ea290101a4&rkey=2cedf4f257cc1fdd

Ned, you are like a fresh breeze.

I understand that there may have been hurdles!.

I am old but actually quite like the number 1 hoody version!

RE: Kodi logo user feedback, part 2 - removed151214 - 2014-11-12

Agree with the previous post - whilst I fully understand the legal implications of showing the logo options at this time (especially the chance that the final design is copyrighted by another organisation), it's great to see not only how the community has voted, but also Team XBMC engaging the community as much as is practiably possible.

For my own part, my personal favourite has landed outside the top 10, but it's nice to see the most favourited option being one that will make a good logo and icon, taking into account the different sizes and colour options needed to satisfy all the different platform requirements.

It's a shame the same can't be said of all of the top 10, but it's too late now to again iterate the need for Team XBMC to ensure all voted-on logo ideas fulfil such requirements Wink

RE: Kodi logo user feedback, part 2 - da-anda - 2014-11-12

please note that these poll results may not necessarily reflect the final logo. These have been passed to doghouse (design company) to look at the top voted logo ideas and either just polish them or mix and match them up.

RE: Kodi logo user feedback, part 2 - un1versal - 2014-11-12

I like 6 out of the top 10 entries which are reported to be sent to this "doghousemedia" who going to base the final logo on these top 10 or get inspired by them.

Assuming that these people are indeed professional the result should indeed be interesting.

Expanding a little more on the entries I like and after watching the movie "Syrup" (if anyone watched it you will know) kok is definitely not a entry I would pick, so as such that is part of the 4 logos in the top 10 I dont feel should go anywhere purely because it is a known fictional brand/image in a movie ironically about branding and the issues surrounding branding -- the whole rename is supposedly about.

RE: Kodi logo user feedback, part 2 - Memphiz - 2014-11-12

The top 10 is more or less not an limiting factor atm as it seems ... just understand that whatever will be picked will not be picked cause of the rank only but also of aspects which most end users won't have in mind when voting for a logo (a design company and lawyers might and will...).

RE: Kodi logo user feedback, part 2 - SheHateMe - 2014-11-12

Wow, the better logos did not win? #8 should have been in the top 3 if nothing else. My pick would have been:

1 - Logo #8
2 - Logo #23
3- Logo #15
4 - Logo #13
5 - Logo #14

RE: Kodi logo user feedback, part 2 - Memphiz - 2014-11-12

That was a community vote. Unpredictable Wink

RE: Kodi logo user feedback, part 2 - Ned Scott - 2014-11-13

EDIT: Correction, a few take some elements from the top 10.

EDIT again: That's a bit too harsh. Forgive me. I'll try to be a little more cool headed about what is going on. I'm still really upset at what is going on internally, but take what I say in anger with a grain of salt.

RE: Kodi logo user feedback, part 2 - removed151214 - 2014-11-13

Over 7000 votes cast (according to the stats displayed on the link you provided), not to mention the incredible feeling of community involvement felt on the original logo thread. And that's Team Kodi's response? Wow.

I don't particularly agree with the top results in terms of viable logos, but I do respect the time taken by everyone who submitted a logo idea (and the number of responses those ideas garnered.) - but that's what you get with a community vote (especially one that was geared towards picking the best visual design, not the best logo.) And most projects would kill for such community involvement that gains 7000+ votes. (Take a look at Universal's thread requesting a new logo to see what I mean.) Again - wow.

Edit: I've just re-read this, and realise it can be misinterpreted. My issue isn't with how Ned Scott represented the attitude being displayed by the team towards the logo votes, but the attitude itself. Even if I don't personally agree with the top logos, or how the vote was conducted, these ARE the logos the community has decided upon. To ignore these after going to the trouble of asking for such feedback (And the sense of community actually asking encouraged, not to mention the amount of responses both the logo thread and the vote itself garnered), well, Wow.

Forgive my first knee-jerk response. There are many good ideas in our internal poll, and many of them do have elements of the top 10. However, I am still not filled with confidance given how dismissive the group has been about not needing to even give serious consideration to the community feedback.

To judge for yourselves, these are the options:

watch gallery

RE: Kodi logo user feedback, part 2 - removed151214 - 2014-11-13

And forgive me for my knee-jerk reaction to your post Smile

I think it's plain I've been I've been in disagreement for a while with how this has been run. Unsurprisingly, the ideas that were voted highly that were both visually appealing and could actually make a good logo are now the ones being developed into a logo. Of course, the pure visual appealment shouldn't have been a factor in the votes - leading now to ideas that would have made a great logo being ignored in the consideration of the final design Confused

To be clear, people should still be very pissed about this.

RE: Kodi logo user feedback, part 2 - bossanova808 - 2014-11-13

The combination K/power/directional/KODI letters element is pretty cool and I think a much better symbol than anything in the community designs. Personally I think hamstringing a pro design company with a bunch of 99designs style generic logos was not the best idea. Design by amateur committee is not usually successful. Let the pros do their work...

Samfisher made 4 of the top 5 logos, as voted by our community. A few of us decided to just ask him for his take on the voting results, as well as using additional feedback from us about various concerns. This is what he came up with (notice, none of these are included on our internal Team vote):

watch gallery