Kodi Community Forum
Solved "No video data found" when tuning to radio channels - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Windows Media Center (WMC) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=205)
+---- Thread: Solved "No video data found" when tuning to radio channels (/showthread.php?tid=213985)

Pages: 1 2

"No video data found" when tuning to radio channels - IanPH - 2015-01-06

Dear WMC team,

I've had this issue for quite some time now, but it was not such a big deal before, so I never really reported it although I have checked the board many times before to find a solution.

The problem (bug?) is that when ever I tune to a radio station the "Working..." animation starts spinning and after a while it stops with the error "No video data found". I already tried out some tips I found in this thread where it's recommended to force the channels to be radio with <ForcedRadioChannels> and to increase the <Timeout_WaitForTS_MS> to 20000. But the time-out setting only make the error come later.

I've checked to see if the radio stations do work in Media Center but they're all okay.

Here is a log from ServerWMC when I tune to a radio station. If you need more, please let me know:

ServerWMC.log

RE: "No video data found" when tuning to radio channels - krustyreturns - 2015-01-06

Ian, you should never hesitate to report problems, you have found lots of real bugs in the past.

Swmc is finding the audio stream fine, the problem is it is also looking for the video stream and there doesn't seem to be one. In these cases, we rely on the channel guide read from wmc to mark these channel as having audio only, so I think the problem may be that your guide is not marking them this way. Please edit the config file and make this change:

<Debug_ChannelDetail>true</Debug_ChannelDetail>

save it, then restart swmc. After swmc starts, post the new log. Hopefully from the channel detail listed we'll be able to figure out what is going on. Thanks.

RE: "No video data found" when tuning to radio channels - scarecrow420 - 2015-01-07

just to clarify, is this an "audio channel" or a "radio channel"? By radio i mean being received by an FM tuner rather than TV tuner

RE: "No video data found" when tuning to radio channels - IanPH - 2015-01-08

@scarecrow420:

No this is not an FM-tuner. It's a channel marked as "Radio" on the Astra 19.2 satellite in europe, but I'm not sure whether DVBLink's virtual tuner forwards them as such. That's why I added the channels to <ForcedRadioChannels>. When I tune to these channels in Media Center they are played back as Digital Audio Service:

@krustyreturns:

Unfortunately the log is now to long for pastebin so I put in on my server:

ServerWMC-DebugChannelDetail.log

RE: "No video data found" when tuning to radio channels - scarecrow420 - 2015-01-08

Since youve set "ForcedRadioChannels" option for this channel, the debug log you posted is listing it's service type as "ForcedAudio" but I'd be interested to see what the default type from WMC is (if you can remove that Forced setting entry and create another log).

From the log you posted initially it seems like it isnt flagged as an audio channel by WMC

EG on my system we have a few digital audio channels and WMC does know they are audio channels, you can see in the edit channel list it has a little music note icon on them. On the one hand, your WMC screenshot above does show "Digital Audio Service" but the ServerWMC log you posted earlier appears to indicate that it isnt flagged as audio only. Can confirm if you see the music notes in Edit Channels against these ones, like i do?

Looking at the code there are some subtle differences in the way we handle AudioOnly channels vs ForcedRadio channels. The former we use different remuxer settings because not as many packets are in the stream etc, when it only contains audio, so we have a lower threshold in terms of minimum packets to analyse on the stream analysis pass. WIth the latter (ForcedRadio) option it seems we are happy to discard a video stream if we find it but we also are using defaults/thresholds for video channels that assume there will be a video stream and alot more packets present, so if you end up only having an audio stream present we potentially are spending too long waiting to see the minimum packets for analysis and end up timing out. We do have settings to tweak the minimum packets for analysis etc although that would affect your regular channels possibly in a negative way so that may not be a good path to go down.

Im getting a bit ahead of myself anyway though... first we need to get a debug log with the ForcedRadio setting removed so we can confirm if WMC is indeed somehow not flagging this as an audio only channel. And confirmation from you regarding whether you see the music note icons as well. I will ponder what the next steps could be

@scarecrow420 :

You are right, these channels apparently are not marked as audio channels by WMC, probably because DVBLink does not forward them as such. But that's what I though <ForcedRadioChannels> was for.

Here's the new log you requested:

ServerWMC-DebugNoForcedRadio.log

AW: "No video data found" when tuning to radio channels - Heiko123 - 2015-01-08

Here the same problem, within working dvblink.
BUT
- bayrisches fs süd is as radio working
- mdr jump is the error message

http://pastebin.com/QHMQPs2R

RE: "No video data found" when tuning to radio channels - krustyreturns - 2015-01-08

ForcedRadioChannels is for channels that contain audio AND video, but the user wants us to ignore the video stream and just play the audio - as if it was a radio channel. In my case, the video on these channels is typically a static image that contains some kind of advertisement while the audio plays music. So in that case it makes sense to throw away the video and just play the audio.

In your cases though, the channel is marked as having video - but it actually doesn't - and that is what is throwing swmc off. Just to repeat ourselves, if a channel only contains audio (like yours), we expect the wmc database to show that this is an audio-only channel and we treat it as such (i.e. we treat it as radio).

So what is going on is (I think), the part of swmc that analyzes the streams thinks there should be BOTH audio and video streams and it is trying to find video data, which never comes. So it eventually throws a timeout error. The funny (or dumb) thing is, if it had found the video, it would have just ignored it during playback - since you marked the channel as forcedradio.

So try this experiment on one of these channels, change these values in the config.xml file (this is just temporary, you want to set it back to what it was when you are done)
<RemuxParseMinHeadersForAudio>200</RemuxParseMinHeadersForAudio>
<RemuxParseMaxHeadersForAudio>400</RemuxParseMaxHeadersForAudio>

Could one of you guys make us a short two minute recording on one of the channels and upload it to the below address? I just want to add it to my collection.
https://drive.google.com/?authuser=0#folders/0ByNnAMYBoWvfQVBBNzFhZmNPWUE

I imagine the fix will be a config setting so that these channels can be marked as audio-only channels (instead of forced radio). Unless scarecrow has a better idea.

@krustyreturns:

With these settings:

<RemuxParseMinHeadersForAudio>200</RemuxParseMinHeadersForAudio>
<RemuxParseMaxHeadersForAudio>400</RemuxParseMaxHeadersForAudio>

and

<Timeout_WaitForTS_MS>20000</Timeout_WaitForTS_MS>

I get audio after about 19-20 seconds Smile .

But when I set <Timeout_WaitForTS_MS> back to the default 10000 (and the above Remux min/max set to 200/400) I still get the "No video" error.

Also, I just uploaded Manual Recording_Radio Veronica_2015_01_08_20_05_00.wtv to your google drive.

RE: "No video data found" when tuning to radio channels - krustyreturns - 2015-01-08

Good, We can fix this. I will get back to you with something to test if you have time.

Okay. No problem. Do remember I live in the Netherlands where it's 22:18 as I write this Smile. So if you don't hear from me for more than 12 hours I probably went to bed.

RE: "No video data found" when tuning to radio channels - krustyreturns - 2015-01-09

Don't worry, I'm not that fast. I've got other stuff to finish up first. I'll PM you when I have something to test.

RE: "No video data found" when tuning to radio channels - IanPH - 2015-01-14

Anything you want me to test yet Wink?

RE: "No video data found" when tuning to radio channels - krustyreturns - 2015-01-14

I haven't forgotten, I will definitely give you something to test before the next release. Hopefully I can give you something by weeks end.

RE: "No video data found" when tuning to radio channels - IanPH - 2015-01-14

No problem Wink I have radio at the moment with the temporary settings you gave me. Although it does take quite long before the channel starts playing.