Kodi Community Forum
No prompt for "Clean" - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: OS independent / Other (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=228)
+---- Thread: No prompt for "Clean" (/showthread.php?tid=214166)

Pages: 1 2

No prompt for "Clean" - wgstarks - 2015-01-07

In Gotham and earlier versions I would get a Yes/No prompt on "Clean" before XBMC would remove data from the database. I notice that after updating to Helix I no longer get a prompt, Kodi just removes the data. Is this by design or do I have a problem with my system?

RE: No prompt for "Clean" - wgstarks - 2015-01-11

bump

RE: No prompt for "Clean" - Ned Scott - 2015-01-11

Honestly, I have no idea, but which way are you triggering the clean? From the settings menu, or is "clean on update" turned on in the advancedsettings.xml file?

RE: No prompt for "Clean" - BatterPudding - 2015-01-11

Still have the prompt on Kodi here when run from settings menu - running on Win 8.1. Very uneven progress bar though as it tends to sit waiting on the left for ages.

RE: No prompt for "Clean" - wgstarks - 2015-01-11

(2015-01-11, 03:47)Ned Scott Wrote: Honestly, I have no idea, but which way are you triggering the clean? From the settings menu, or is "clean on update" turned on in the advancedsettings.xml file?

Usually the clean is triggered as part of an update scan, but I also see the same behavior when I trigger it from the system menu. If I delete a video from the source it gets removed from the Kodi database, but there's no prompt asking if I want to remove the data. I'll see if I can create a debug log small enough to post.

RE: No prompt for "Clean" - wgstarks - 2015-01-12

Here is the debug log-
http://pastebin.com/9iHWqeKF
I removed a couple of videos from the source and initiated a "Clean" from the system menu.

RE: No prompt for "Clean" - Hitcher - 2015-01-12

Just tested this on Helix and I still get the following message before initiating 'Clean library...' from Settings > Video > Library -

Code:
Cleaning database

Do you want to clean the library?

No Yes

EDIT: According to your debug log the yes/no dialog is loaded (line 893) and you the select Yes to clean the library!

(2015-01-12, 10:53)Hitcher Wrote: Just tested this on Helix and I still get the following message before initiating 'Clean library...' from Settings > Video > Library -

Code:
Cleaning database

Do you want to clean the library?

No Yes

EDIT: According to your debug log the yes/no dialog is loaded (line 893) and you the select Yes to clean the library!

That works for me as well, but it's not the prompt I'm referring to. In previous versions if a file was missing a prompt would appear "Would you like to permanently remove all occurances of this file from your database yes/no". This no longer happens. Now the database files are deleted without any user input.

It's never appeared when you clean the library because that's the whole point of performing a clean - to remove missing files.

(2015-01-12, 20:25)Hitcher Wrote: It's never appeared when you clean the library because that's the whole point of performing a clean - to remove missing files.

Of course it has or I wouldn't have asked about its disappearance. In Gotham and prior versions there was always an "Are You Sure" prompt. I can see that it was a bit of over kill, but it did exist.

As I said previously I tested this on Gotham and it never once stopped the cleaning process to ask if I wanted to permanently remove a file from the database.

There's not even a 'permanently' string in the Gotham language file and these are the only ones containing 'database'.

Code:
    Line 1297: msgid "Cleaning database"
    Line 1313: msgid "Cleaned database successfully"
    Line 1369: msgid "Compressing database..."
    Line 1373: msgid "Error compressing database"
    Line 7000: msgid "Could not initialise database."
    Line 7004: msgid "Could not open database."
    Line 7008: msgid "Could not get songs from database."
    Line 7591: msgid "Do not store the EPG in the database"
    Line 8050: msgid "Reset the PVR database"
    Line 8054: msgid "All data in the PVR database is being erased"
    Line 8059: msgid "Reset the EPG database"
    Line 8326: msgid "Loading EPG from database"
    Line 13564: msgid "Export the Video Library database to XML files. This will optionally overwrite your current XML files."
    Line 13570: msgid "Import a XML file into the Video Library database."
    Line 13906: msgid "Delete channel/EPG database and reimport the data from the backend afterwards."
    Line 13976: msgid "By default, EPG data is stored in a local database to speed up importing when XBMC is restarted."
    Line 13986: msgid "Delete the EPG database in XBMC and reimport the data afterwards from the backend."
    Line 14176: msgid "Export the Music Library database to XML files. This will optionally overwrite your current XML files."
    Line 14182: msgid "Import a XML file into the Music Library database."
    Line 14308: msgid "Read the information belonging to an audio CD from an internet database."

So I really don't know where you've seen the message but it's not Gotham.

RE: No prompt for "Clean" - thrak76 - 2015-01-12

I recall seeing that dialog (would you like to permanently...) at times when performing a library clean with Gotham. Always thought it was superfluous, and inconsistent, but it was definitely there.

But the word 'permanently' doesn't even exist in the language file for Gotham!

RE: No prompt for "Clean" - thrak76 - 2015-01-12

I get it, Hitcher. So it's not the word "permanently". But there most certainly was a dialog at the end of a clean up launched from settings->video.

Here's what it looks like in Nox/Gotham:

But really, it did feel unnecessary.

@thrak76- Thanks for the screenshot. Was beginning to think I had hallucinated the whole thing Smile. I agree that it's not really necessary, that was why I asked if it had been deliberately removed. Looks like it hasn't though and I'm having some problem with my system.