Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- pip1 - 2010-09-04

I know wiki isn't the best source for info but it says ffmpeg is already able to run on ppc. now the cell thats unknown as far as I know

to the dev who said that you guys never said you wouldn't do consoles again it just wasn't viable what do you mean by viable?

Can it be done? sure you guys have tallent and I'm sure technically you can.
should it be done? well I bought a teensy ++ already and am saving for a 2nd ps3 in hope that it will
will it be done? I think so you gotta love hackers they eventually will get it done.
will it be used? of course, who has ever used a xbox with xbmc and not wanted to play highdef content a simular easy to use common game machine?
who really wants a pc next to thier tv?

I wish I would have started computer programming classes sooner or I'd help (who knows if no one does it I'll end up doing it very slowly for credit in school)

- BlueCop - 2010-09-04

I think you are looking at it wrong. Can/will it be done? Yes/no <- just my prediction

The benefit to work ratio is way too skewed. Let's look at the down sides before look at the upsides.

1. No open native sdk which means leaked Sony sdk and I don't want to go to ps3bins to get my builds or search the intertnet for copyright tools just to do a build. I know you say but Linux! Does it have graphics drivers for ps3? No as far as I know. I am pretty sure you need graphic accellerating for any kind of useable xbmc.

2. Limited amount of hardware because this hack will be patched. These ps3 systems will go the way of the jtag 360. No new exploitable units will be after a point. So now you have limited yourself to that number of ps3 users.

3. Ps3 has no ir remote which really really sucks because ir is still the most common standard for control.

What are the benefits?
Running xbmc on the ps3. Thats the only one I can think of.

You say "who wants a pc next to your tv?" but my htpc is smaller and quieter then my ps3.

The ps3 hack is really cool. I programed some atmel clones today. It just isn't exciting for xbmc. I already have a ion box for that.

- Geeba - 2010-09-04

BlueCop Wrote:I think you are looking at it wrong. Can/will it be done? Yes/no <- just my prediction

The benefit to work ratio is way too skewed. Let's look at the down sides before look at the upsides.

1. No open native sdk which means leaked Sony sdk and I don't want to go to ps3bins to get my builds or search the intertnet for copyright tools just to do a build. I know you say but Linux! Does it have graphics drivers for ps3? No as far as I know. I am pretty sure you need graphic accellerating for any kind of useable xbmc.

2. Limited amount of hardware because this hack will be patched. These ps3 systems will go the way of the jtag 360. No new exploitable units will be after a point. So now you have limited yourself to that number of ps3 users.

3. Ps3 has no ir remote which really really sucks because ir is still the most common standard for control.

What are the benefits?
Running xbmc on the ps3. Thats the only one I can think of.

You say "who wants a pc next to your tv?" but my htpc is smaller and quieter then my ps3.

The ps3 hack is really cool. I programed some atmel clones today. It just isn't exciting for xbmc. I already have a ion box for that.

The Xbox still works flawlessly.... reason... uniform hoardware... one advantage with PS3... is exactly that... uniform hardware...

- BlueCop - 2010-09-04

Xbmc isn't really on xbox anymore from what I understand because of it's limitations. I don't think that uniform hardware has a big of advantage for xbmc anymore. Chips are so much more powerful now. It functions very well on a cheap htpc. They are cheaper, and already supports hardware accelleration in many cases. The only advantage I see is in setup but not in function.

The xbox was hackable through out it's lifetime. I just seriously doubt the ps3 exploit will survive for very long and hopes of a new hole are slim.

Also just so you know this hack doesn't give you full privledges on the system. It is the same priviledges as ps3 game has which is limited.

- Geeba - 2010-09-05

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/ - still going strong.... the point was thou that uniform hardware definately has its advantages....

For instance I have an ION2 Jetway with an Corsair F40 SSD and 4gb of Kingston RAM... it just wont boot any Dharma builds... nightly, XBMCfreak... any other no problem but then I loose things such as DXVA and I cant get audio to work... for me trying to sort this is a nightmare... I'd bet for one that not many if any people have that combination of hardware for starters... the Harmony remote... I dont even want to go there... thats been close to being lobbed out the window!

This is one of the reasons apple have always been a closed house hardware wise....

- xbs08 - 2010-09-05

That's why Boxee has the box Smile uniform hardware means less configurations for the end user and less bugs/problems and also means faster development.

Settings up a Xbox is easy (after modded ofc), setting up a HTPC some times isn't easy or fun.

That's why some folks, like myself, still prefer the ol' Xbox when it's for SD content only Wink plus i love the boot time on that thing

- devanl - 2010-09-06

This has me interested. I wonder if the discussion shouldn't start with someting like an OpenGL interface for PS3?

- tigeredwards - 2010-09-07

Is it really so easy to make a cloned Jailbreak? I doubt. Those guys spent such a long to time to figure it out. I believe it will work I trust the original developer only coz' I don’t want my PS3 hurt. Does anyone know gadget-asia? I got an email from them that they are the authorized seller of PS3 Jailbreak. Considering to order from them.

- TugboatBill - 2010-09-07

It looks like the latest PS3 update may have closed the jailbreak door.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/blog-post/1731664/ps3-firmware-update-kill-jailbreak

XBMC on PS3? - xdoktor - 2010-09-08

Hi all 'devs',

now that the PS3 has finally been 'exploited' to run 'homebrew' utilising all of the PS3's hardware via 'PSGroove' , 'Menu Manager' & new yesterday 'FTPPS3 Manager', what is the likelyhood of the XBMC being ported onto PS3 now?

that would be an awesome media player...especially as you could just run 'homebrew or anything else on your HDD' WinkWink from within XBMC??

i will help anyone who wishes to help with this project!

thanx

- Hitcher - 2010-09-08

Why XBMC for PS3, Wii, Xbox360, or any Sigma box like PCH will probably never happen!

- spiff - 2010-09-08

this has feck all to do with development. *grump*

also it has been answered a gazillion times; not by us.

- xdoktor - 2010-09-08

apologies then...!

fair enough,
but,

from what ive read so far it maybe possible to access aspects of the PS3 which were not possible to use prior eg graphics chip .....

politely i ask if there is any one out there willing to try and where would be a good place to start?

ps3mc?

- buzz_kill - 2010-09-08

the poster has a point the things holding back a port of xbmc before are no longer an issue. It is not being accessed through linux of the other os option, the newest exploits have access to all of the ps3 hardware from the XMB. SO no longer hindered by not being able to access the video hardware and the ram it may be a possibility now.

- waldo22 - 2010-09-08

Since the xbox build was separated from mainline XBMC, the devs have had a policy of not developing XBMC for consoles.

They have said that they would be glad to help a serious and competent programmer to make it happen, but aren't interested in doing it themselves.

The reasoning behind this is the cat-and-mouse game that you get with 'closed' hardware.

We install our homebrew on the PS3, Sony patches the exploit, we exploit again, etc...

The basic philosophy is, if Sony/Nintendo/MS don't want to open their platforms, screw them...

Again, if you or someone you know has the chops to make this happen, team XBMC has said they'd help out in any way they can.

-Wes