Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- poofyhairguy - 2010-09-08

I think what causes the confusion is that XBMC started on the Xbox, which makes people think its console friendly.

What outsiders don't know is that the Xbox was chosen because of the value of hardware at that earlier time.

Nowadays for XBMC the best hardware value is in ION boxes, which is why the Xbox development has ended.

Even if the PS3 has a hack that allows access to the GPU, it doesn't help. You can't run the Nvidia display drivers in PowerPC Linux. The open source drivers for Nvidia aren't good enough yet for XBMC use, so we are back at square one.

The PS3 will never be a decent XBMC box, and that is no big deal. We have Revos people, buy one and be happy....

- checkup - 2010-09-09

Aside from the things already mentioned by the others, the possibility has been removed by sony anyway with the latest 3.42 fw update.

- waldo22 - 2010-09-10

checkup Wrote:Aside from the things already mentioned by the others, the possibility has been removed by sony anyway with the latest 3.42 fw update.

...which is exactly why they don't want to support this platform.

@poofyhairguy, You're absolutely right, with one exception:

I think that the point is that lots of folks already have PS3s, Wiis, 360s, NMTs, PCHs, etc...

If we could support these boxes, it would mean that people could run XBMC on a great platform without having to buy anything.

-Wes

- frieten - 2010-09-11

theres already a few homebrews been made for it. wont be long before something like XBMC is avaiable if not an out and out port.

- killer - 2010-09-12

checkup Wrote:Aside from the things already mentioned by the others, the possibility has been removed by sony anyway with the latest 3.42 fw update.

Simple solution you do not go online.And if you haven't made it to 3.41 yet maunally update by file.

- Geeba - 2010-09-12

PC's in my mind are a complete shag to get running correctly IMO... ION included... I have one. Resolution via hdmi never works right on my tv.. remotes are a pain... I always find myself reaching for the keyboard.. live install won't recognise my audio hardware so i'm back on windows on my TV which is just a world of nastyness.... hopefully boxee will bring some sort of uniform for people that don't know Linux that well...

Or a PS3 guru!

- xecutionx - 2010-09-12

Geeba Wrote:PC's in my mind are a complete shag to get running correctly IMO... ION included... I have one. Resolution via hdmi never works right on my tv.. remotes are a pain... I always find myself reaching for the keyboard.. live install won't recognise my audio hardware so i'm back on windows on my TV which is just a world of nastyness.... hopefully boxee will bring some sort of uniform for people that don't know Linux that well...

Or a PS3 guru!

Setup with my Acer Revo with a Sony Bravia with a Surround Sound system took less than an hour. I edited the audio configs in XBMC to get multichannel audio, and didn't have to touch anything else. Then I ran less than 5 commands to get lirc and my media center remote working. That's it.

Read a guide. That's what I did. If you think that installation of a port of XBMC on the PS3 will be as simple as running an exe on a PC then you'll be in for a surprise.

- Geeba - 2010-09-12

Yep think I'm pretty ofey with the in's and out's of console hacking.... been doing it a while now Wink... but I dont think your getting my point.....

"Setup with my Acer Revo"... exactly.. I dont have a Revo.... I have an ION2 Jetway which wont boot any Dharma Live builds full stop! yet will boot camelot Live/Win32.. chances are the audio setup/chipset on yours is completely different for starters.

I have read guides.. I am far from a techno phobe been meddling for many years. but who else has a setup the same as mine? - dont get me wrong I like hardware diversity but it does have its drawbacks

- vikjon0 - 2010-09-13

Quote:I have read guides.. I am far from a techno phobe been meddling for many years. but who else has a setup the same as mine? - dont get me wrong I like hardware diversity but it does have its drawbacks

I think this is the thing. If you use new/standard/not too new HW the process is pretty much painless. If try to run on your old used desktop with ATI connected to an old CRT over s-video it is a different ball game.
I guess a simple list of tests (including reference video and sound files) could be used to create a "tested for XBMCLive" label.

I guess we are a bit too off top now..

- saratoga - 2010-09-13

Geeba Wrote:"Setup with my Acer Revo"... exactly.. I dont have a Revo.... I have an ION2 Jetway which wont boot any Dharma Live builds full stop! yet will boot camelot Live/Win32.. chances are the audio setup/chipset on yours is completely different for starters.

I have read guides.. I am far from a techno phobe been meddling for many years. but who else has a setup the same as mine? - dont get me wrong I like hardware diversity but it does have its drawbacks

So you bought unpopular hardware and are complaining that its unpopular? Isn't the problem here that you made bad choices?

IMO given the hardware limitations of the PS3 (slow CPU, coprocessors that won't work with ffmpeg), you'd probably just have bought one of those and came in here complaining that it couldn't decode HD video and XBMC should only run on Ion :p

- Geeba - 2010-09-14

saratoga Wrote:So you bought unpopular hardware and are complaining that its unpopular? Isn't the problem here that you made bad choices?

IMO given the hardware limitations of the PS3 (slow CPU, coprocessors that won't work with ffmpeg), you'd probably just have bought one of those and came in here complaining that it couldn't decode HD video and XBMC should only run on Ion :p

What are you going on about? Rolleyes ION2 unpopular? oh really?

So Acer, Ausu, Zotac, Shuttle and Lenovo (for starters) who have all started to ship ION2 systems are unpopular?

- ZombieRobot - 2010-09-14

i think a port to the ps3 is a great idea and inevitable just dont update firmware would definitely put a use to the two ps3 i have in my closet with broken bluray players and sure as hell got to preform better than apple tv imo

- saratoga - 2010-09-14

Geeba Wrote:I am far from a techno phobe been meddling for many years. but who else has a setup the same as mine?

Geeba Wrote:What are you going on about? Rolleyes

If your system is so popular, why not ask someone else how to fix your problem? Presumably lots of people know how . . .

- vikjon0 - 2010-09-14

come on don't start that saratoga. The whole ION2 discussion is off topic.
Also, I assume ION2 is the next thing after ION and there are other people having problem with the same box.

- Geeba - 2010-09-14

saratoga Wrote:If your system is so popular, why not ask someone else how to fix your problem? Presumably lots of people know how . . .

Idiot. maybe you should read back and look at the point I was making instead of jumping on the ION2 is no better than ION boat... I'm pretty sure nVidia know a little more than you.