Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

PS3 Opened...XMBC development? - john.doe - 2011-01-06

So in a nut shell the PS3's master key was found and it's public. Anything can be officially signed and this allows new opportunity's for the homebrew scene.

As XMBC is homebrew I'm hoping to see a version arrive for the PS3.

Of course, I've seen the sticky that states we'd never see such a thing, but this should present a way to allow development without a hitch from what you've encountered in the past.

I've gone through the liberty of posting the link to allow those whom are interested take a watch and soak up what's been accomplished. One more thing, the team has released tools for the PS3.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/12/29/hackers-obtain-ps3-private-cryptography-key-due-to-epic-programm/

Also there's a ton of information about this just by using google. It's about everywhere and information to get loaders up and running.

- poofyhairguy - 2011-01-06

Anyone who wants to make it work can get started. The pieces are there with the full GPU access.

Add the core of the the SPU enabled Mplayer to XBMC's FFMPEG, update the nouveau x driver to be compatible enough with mesa to support XBMC's interface without it being dog slow, clean up XBMC's PowerPC port for the PS3, and then find a way to deliver compiled versions to the general public without Sony shutting you down.

I mean, that is ONLY years worth of work and a wish from a magic genie away from happening. Someone get after it.

- john.doe - 2011-01-06

Your baseless assumption that Sony would shut down the process of a XMBC client running on their hardware is not only wrong but ridiculous.

If this were the case then Microsoft would have shut down XBMC years ago. The use of the name Xbox is trademarked and using it without Microsoft's consent is infringing on it. I doubt Microsoft cared enough to allow the team to use it with their consent. The program did allow things like backups to be played which would have been the thing to have Microsoft's lawyers setting their sights on the team, of course this really didn't happen.

Then there's the case that the program allows a way to circumvent a service Sony charges, which of course isn't the case. Then you have the team making money off of it which isn't true either. You can compare XMBC to the likes of PlayOn or PS3 Media server, the latter using the Playstation name trademark.

I don't have the technical mind set to argue whether or not the hardware is difficult to implement into the XBMC. I'm just stating that the console is open, as open as any console is going to be.

Yes Jailbreak allowed backups to be ran before. No hacks used before allowed complete control though. This method used by fail0verflow does. They can flash the NOR Nand and have the PS3 run whatever they want, ie linux or CFW. That is the actual hack itself. This hack cannot be fixed by Sony through updates. Because it involves using Metldr and there are keys in Metldr that even Sony does not have. Only your specific PS3 has those keys. Metldr cannot be updated or revoked. This is why the hardware hack is here to stay no matter how many software updates Sony does.

- darkscout - 2011-01-06

1) I don't think XBMC was originally in the states. So good luck to Microsoft on that.
2) If you remember, XBMC binary was never distributed by the team. You had to go through illicit means to get it on your own.
3) The landscape was MUCH different back then. XBMC was the only game in town and that's what it got developed on. Things have changed. It runs on almost 4 architectures (PPC, i386, AMD64, almost ARM), 3 OSes, and tons of hardware. They're focusing their time on getting it working on that. Davilla got it on CrystalHD. Etc.

If you want to, you are more than welcome to develop it for the PS3.

But right now it's almost like saying "Hey guys. I figured out how to put ANY fuel into my car. Look here I found this old can of Leaded Gas! Lets do it"

john.doe Wrote:If this were the case then Microsoft would have shut down XBMC years ago. The use of the name Xbox is trademarked and using it without Microsoft's consent is infringing on it. I doubt Microsoft cared enough to allow the team to use it with their consent. The program did allow things like backups to be played which would have been the thing to have Microsoft's lawyers setting their sights on the team, of course this really didn't happen.

You are obviously not familiar with the history of XBMC. Originally XBMC binaries COULDN'T be distributed in the open in many nations because it was made using the official Xbox development kit (outside the "legal" uses of that kit). It was a glorious day when XBMC was ported to normal PC platforms so that it could exists completely in the open.

The issue is not about legal trademarks.

Here in the United States (one nation I know, but many other countries have similar laws) it is against the law to crack the DRM of media devices. Therefore completely legal binaries of anything signed by this new discovered key cannot be created. Sony might not ever assert their legal right to go after someone for distributing a homebrew program, but the fact is that a "Official" version of XBMC for the PS3 based on this new information would be a significant step BACKWARDS for the project.

With that said, all the pieces are there and somebody can do it. The current XBMC devs are focused on other things, but there is nothing stopping someone else from putting an unofficial version together.

darkscout beat me to it! Laugh

- Robotica - 2011-01-06

Point is that, because Sony screwed up, you can sign and execute custom code without breaking the probably patented alghoritm. However, reverse engineering isn't illegal in many parts of the world. Distributing that hacked firmware is risky and illegal but other project already proved distributing is unstoppable.

Developing an XBMC fork which runs on PS3 isn't illegal (like with the XBOX but in this case I don't believe you need a special SDK to compile). Even distributing that fork isn't illegal since XBMC has a complex ownership model probably without Sony as copyrightholder.

As a user running the XBMC-fork, you will probably break their EULA but that is nothing to worry about ("except when void by law") in most sensible countries; it's your hardware.

But I don't see the use for all this trouble since there is better hardware available; in the XBOX-ages it made sense.

Robotica Wrote:Developing an XBMC fork which runs on PS3 isn't illegal (like with the XBOX but in this case I don't believe you need a special SDK to compile).

No, the development is not illegal but in order for it to be distributed in binaries it would have to be signed by the tainted key. It might not be "put you in jail" kind of bad, but it certainly is a "Sony will drain your foundation's resources with frivolous suits if YOU make the killer homebrew application" bad.

- Robotica - 2011-01-06

poofyhairguy Wrote:No, the development is not illegal but in order for it to be distributed in binaries it would have to be signed by the tainted key. It might not be "put you in jail" kind of bad, but it certainly is a "Sony will drain your foundation's resources with frivolous suits if YOU make the killer homebrew application" bad.

I am not totally up to date on PS3 security.
You mean: All binaries should be compiled with that key including XBMC (single package distribution-scenario)
I meant: just the firmware which is hacked should be compiled using that key and then resigned and reflashed so PS3 can run a seperately compiled XBMC-fork (2 packages distribution scenario's)?

I am not sure which scenario would apply for this hack so I assume you are right.

- Robotica - 2011-01-06

poofyhairguy Wrote:Here in the United States (one nation I know, but many other countries have similar laws) it is against the law to crack the DRM of media devices.
I recently read that even in US jailbreaking (and remixing and unlocking) is legal thanks to EFF.... Are media devices an exception?? How stupid is that! It is based on the same principle of ownership. Besides, I don't think that many countries have IP-laws like the US. i.e. In EU jailbreaking is fine, as long as you're not doing it for the purposes of infringing copyright (i.e. playing pirated games). Only countries with a large techno lobby (US, Japan) have some strange IP laws.

- darkscout - 2011-01-06

It's not a matter of "IF" it can be done or the legality.

It's the fact that the XBMC developers aren't going to waste their time on it like they're not wasting their time on the Boxee Box. The Boxee box is 10x more open than the original XBOX but in the current state of affairs it's still too closed.

- N3MIS15 - 2011-01-06

since the fail0verflow guys are working on a custom bootloader to launch linux, woulnt the most feasible way to launch a livecd on boot suited to the ps3 hardware? Therefor there is no risk with lawsuits and such?..
I also understand that its not the cheapest or easiest hardware to work with, but with the install base of ps3s out there im sure there would be quite a bit of intrest (ive been reading thru the ps3 hacking forums and ALOT of ppl are asking if hacking will enable support .mkv and such).

- Robotica - 2011-01-06

In that case: you are right. Only the guys distributing the bootloader can have (but won't if they are smart enough) a problem. Even there is no need for a livecd (when there is enough storage space); XBMC can be placed on local nand/storage/hd to boot.

See: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=683083&postcount=7

- darkscout - 2011-01-06

Until the GPU is "cracked", I doubt you'll get 1080p.

No clue how different the Cell is from normal PPC. But if you can get debian/ubuntu on there. You can start from scratch building stuff.

- N3MIS15 - 2011-01-06

yea, doesnt need to be livecd, but definatly duel boot. i would still like to use my ps3 for games Tongue i guess we will have to wait and see what comes from the bootloader.. i know that marcan already has linux kernel booting on ps3 with aid of a jig.