Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- poofyhairguy - 2011-01-06

darkscout Wrote:Until the GPU is "cracked", I doubt you'll get 1080p.

No clue how different the Cell is from normal PPC. But if you can get debian/ubuntu on there. You can start from scratch building stuff.

Disclaimer: I was really into PS3 Linux when the Other OS option existed

Actually since the GPU in the PS3 is more primitive than the 360's it lacks the ability to really help decode video. The 360 offers modern general shaders like every Nvidia card since the 8xxx series, while the PS3 had a 7800GTX shoved in at the last minute that had dedicated shaders. All the GPU needs to do is have OpenGL support for the XBMC interface. I haven't tried using the open source Nvidia driver on XBMC so I don't know if it will work.

The only thing that can play 1080p on the PS3 is the Cell and its SPUs. The Cell is very weird- instead of something like three equal cores like the 360 or many AMD CPUs have, the cell has one normal core (to Linux) and then this army of half cores that are basic number crunching machines.

A build of Mplayer exists that uses these SPUs, so FFMPEG could do it. I used it back in 08 to play 1080p on there. Couldn't get father than that myself though (and you couldn't use X, that might have changed).

But after thinking about it a lot it would be better if it was an outright XBMC fork. Then instead of having the same release cycle as XBMC (and having to deal with the huge task of bringing the PowerPC code to date) one could fork off an older XBMC that builds correctly, use the Mplayer as an external player, use the most recently available Ubuntu release, stack a super fresh Xorg on that, slap this skin on there, and it might be a slick optimized package.

- N3MIS15 - 2011-01-06

please correct me if im wrong, but it seems the main thing holding back a ps3 xbmc port is drivers linux or otherwise. from what i can recall there has been a demo using gpu to render 3d images. as primative as it was, this is the fist step yea?
Or am i totaly on the wrong track?

N3MIS15 Wrote:please correct me if im wrong, but it seems the main thing holding back a ps3 xbmc port is drivers linux or otherwise. from what i can recall there has been a demo using gpu to render 3d images. as primative as it was, this is the fist step yea?
Or am i totaly on the wrong track?

Yes, there is a basic SPU X driver:

http://psubuntu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1805

I honestly think that getting the GPU involved is needed considering how demanding the XBMC interface is on GPUs.

- N3MIS15 - 2011-01-06

Thanks, poofy, but what i was refering to was this: http://is.gd/gkv1e
From what i understand it was run in gameos (without the need for otheros and its RSX restictions)

N3MIS15 Wrote:Thanks, poofy, but what i was refering to was this: http://is.gd/gkv1e
From what i understand it was run in gameos (without the need for otheros and its RSX restictions)

The only driver that can be used for the RSX is nouveau. That driver has basic 3D support thanks to Gallium3D. This driver is at best a fourth as slow as the official x86 Nvidia Linux driver:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nouveau_mesa79&num=2

From my experiments with hardware, I think that is enough to still run the XBMC interface acceptably. The problem then is having nouveau completed to a point where is supports every OpenGL feature the XBMC interface uses.

- davilla - 2011-01-06

No hw decode of video, any port is useless even if you have some form of OpenGL/OpenEGL working.

- ashlar - 2011-01-06

davilla Wrote:No hw decode of video, any port is useless even if you have some form of OpenGL/OpenEGL working.
Starting with the idea that I couldn't care less for a PS3 port, from what's been written before in the thread, it seems that Cell could do the decoding just fine in mplayer.

- topfs2 - 2011-01-06

poofyhairguy Wrote:But after thinking about it a lot it would be better if it was an outright XBMC fork. Then instead of having the same release cycle as XBMC (and having to deal with the huge task of bringing the PowerPC code to date) one could fork off an older XBMC that builds correctly, use the Mplayer as an external player, use the most recently available Ubuntu release, stack a super fresh Xorg on that, slap this skin on there, and it might be a slick optimized package.

This is where git also shine, fork it as a team or individual dev and release however wanted and the core project can pull back patches as time goes on. If it becomes a fully working port who knows, maybe all patches will be in XBMC core package and it would be something we start supporting. I think there is very few that would argue against a working port but many dont think its worth putting their man hours into it.

davilla Wrote:No hw decode of video, any port is useless even if you have some form of OpenGL/OpenEGL working.
Pretty sure you can use one of the cores and get 1080p for sure, the mplayer-ps3 port does afaik 1080p just fine. Wasnt there talk about that one of the cores where especially good with video in the infant days of PS3 even and that it could decode an enormous amount of video streams? Mind you I'm far from read up on the subject Smile

Ooops. Two devs showed up!

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to rock the boat. My PS3 is dead, and even if it wasn't a media player with 256mb RAM and a processor for general tasks equal to a 800mhz Pentium 3 is not appealing to me. I was just entertaining the idea cause I love hardware.

- topfs2 - 2011-01-06

poofyhairguy Wrote:Ooops. Two devs showed up!

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to rock the boat. My PS3 is dead, and even if it wasn't a media player with 256mb RAM and a processor for general tasks equal to a 800mhz Pentium 3 is not appealing to me. I was just entertaining the idea cause I love hardware.

I didnt mean to sound like I shut you down. TBH if a port is made by someone it would be awesome, if its workable thats also awesome. If the patches are nice we might even pull some patches Smile

- jherico - 2011-01-08

Robotica Wrote:But I don't see the use for all this trouble since there is better hardware available; in the XBOX-ages it made sense.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills every time I hear that. The point is that there is a massive installed base of PS3's already connected to televisions by people who might be willing to download an ISO and burn it, but who would never contemplate the hassle of building a dedicated media center PC, or who have tried and failed. I myself have never found a connected PC to be as easy to set up and control as a console I've already integrated, and I have a friend who is an extremely intelligent geek and senior developer at a major PC gaming software company who essentially threw up his hands in frustration trying to get an HTPC integrated with his system.

The problems
  • Many poeple won't buy hardware for the sole purpose of running XBMC
  • There are often issues getting remote controls working properly, particularly with powering the machine on and off
  • There are often issues getting audio drivers to work properly, especially when trying to push multichannel audio through HDMI, SPDIF or Optical connections

Fortunately, I don't think the real blocker for XBMC is the XBMC dev team. The app builds on PowerPC so the limiting factor now is getting a linux distribution onto the PS3 with a decent accelerated graphics driver.

Another poster pointed out that might take years, but I'm thinking its going to be 'man-years', which means months in real-time.

- topfs2 - 2011-01-08

jherico Wrote:Another poster pointed out that might take years, but I'm thinking its going to be 'man-years', which means months in real-time.

It would most likely mean years in real-time. Take a look at the linux port, osx port and arm port they all took years before they reached a useable state...

XBMC on PS3 ? - TheVirus - 2011-01-09

Hello

now that Geohot has released root keys and a jailbreak tool for PS3, is there a chance XBMC-team will make XBMC for PS3 ?

- poofyhairguy - 2011-01-09

Search:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=21849&highlight=ps3+xbmc

The answer is basically no.

- TheVirus - 2011-01-09

Thanks for det answer.......... but I dont like it Shocked
Hope xbmc-team will reconsider in the near future..Nod