Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- NineT9mustang - 2011-01-10

I'm personally willing to donate $200 for this project if there are any takers

- Geeba - 2011-01-11

Good to see the console gang is still strong, uniform hardware would be great and if its designed to be plugged into a TV even better! - my favorite XBMC box still has a 733mhz CPU and 64Mb of RAM! Wink and its a testimony to what can be done with low memory and processing power by not lobbing a heap of code at it... bit like a light weight sports car.. it will still completely TROUSER a non-GPU accelerated P4 XBMC machine.. I had them side by side in my lounge this weekend!

I just wish I had learnt to program instead of TCP/IP Sad

- linuxluemmel - 2011-01-11

I see a other big problem ...
In the moment you are offering prebuild and signed binarys for the ps3 you have a company behind your neck called sony.

- fns76 - 2011-01-11

i think sony will not the problem, you can make a xbmc without signigure and everyone can use the signature programm for windows to sign the xbmc binary. so sony can nothing say against the project, only against the sign programms and the keys, but this is not the problem of xbmc

- YodaEXE - 2011-01-11

fns76 Wrote:i think sony will not the problem, you can make a xbmc without signigure and everyone can use the signature programm for windows to sign the xbmc binary. so sony can nothing say against the project, only against the sign programms and the keys, but this is not the problem of xbmc

No, it's still a problem for the XBMC devs, because they'll have to instruct people on how to do all that, which makes them just as liable. And if they don't do that the forums will be filled with people flipping out going "OMG how do i do this i cant figure it out plz help me!!!".

- giblet - 2011-01-11

YodaEXE Wrote:No, it's still a problem for the XBMC devs, because they'll have to instruct people on how to do all that, which makes them just as liable. And if they don't do that the forums will be filled with people flipping out going "OMG how do i do this i cant figure it out plz help me!!!".

Why are you panicking so much about this?

The original XBMC for XBOX was built with an official Microsoft SDK - called XDK.

Do you forget so soon. http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Obtaining_XBMC

Do you not remember T3CHHuh Do you think he got sued or any of the XBMC devs got sued by Microsoft?

Why is everything so anti in your world? I think a high percentage of the 40 million users of PS3 would support an XBMC version for Jailbroken PS3.

I can't understand this whining. Hopefully, some of the old skool wil return to bring some sort of equilibrium to the XBMC team...

It makes me sad to hear you speak in this way about an amazing opportunity to redefine XBMC for the masses.

- YodaEXE - 2011-01-11

giblet Wrote:Why are you panicking so much about this?

The original XBMC for XBOX was built with an official Microsoft SDK - called XDK.

Do you forget so soon.

Do you not remember T3CHHuh Do you think he got sued or any of the XBMC devs got sued by Microsoft?

Why is everything so anti in your world? I think a high percentage of the 40 million users of PS3 would support an XBMC version for Jailbroken PS3.

I can't understand this whining. Hopefully, some of the old skool wil return to bring some sort of equilibrium to the XBMC team...

It makes me sad to hear you speak in this way about an amazing opportunity to redefine XBMC for the masses.

Microsoft didn't care about what people did to the Xbox. They just banned the system from Live and moved on. Microsoft also released a dev kit that people could use. Sony has done nothing of the sort. Sony goes out of their way to stop people from doing anything that they don't approve of.

We're not whining. You just don't understand how things actually work. Frankly, if you want this so badly, buy a few PS3s, mail them to the devs, and let them get started. Otherwise, start working on it yourself. If you're not going to do either, be quiet.

- ashlar - 2011-01-11

giblet Wrote:Why are you panicking so much about this?

Do you forget so soon. http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Obtaining_XBMC

The masses can install XBMC on a variety of legitimate hardware. I completely agree with the developers if they do not have any intention of going back to a "grey area" such as that represented by hacked consoles.

Sigma just announced an XBMC port, this means, finally, serious recognition from major brands of the huge work done here. Why would they want to go back to a time when everything *had* to be "underground"?

And this is spoken by an ex Xbox user that vocally asked for a PC port since... 2006 I guess. So while I remember fondly the days of Xbox, I don't see the point in going backwards instead of forward.

Edit: in any case, the nature of the license under which XBMC is created and distributed makes it easy for anybody willing to do a PS3 port to do it. I don't think the developers would object to that.

- prae5 - 2011-01-11

giblet Wrote:Why is everything so anti in your world? I think a high percentage of the 40 million users of PS3 would support an XBMC version for Jailbroken PS3.

The team has no interest in supporting closed platforms when there are better alternatives available.

No amount of whining will change this, no amount of stating how many millions of deployed units will change this. The team currently has no interest in doing this and likely will not change.

If you want it on this platform, do it yourself of find some devs who are interested in working with you.

- ashlar - 2011-01-11

Also, moving away from Xbox was pretty much needed, due to the switch to HD video that happened in the past few years. Now, exactly, when there's ton of options to playback everything... what would be the incentive?

- fns76 - 2011-01-11

i read this and think the devs has no free resouces and the big wave from xbmc is over. one of the biggest problem is that other people makes his own banche of xbmc like dlink do with boxee and the source drift away. so its not a win win situation, the only way to bringt this project alive on ps3 is, to find developers with free resouces and a simple solution to bringt a kind of xbmc live ,,image" directly to the ps3.

now the private and public keys are open, so its no big problem to make disc images with this key insert and every user can burn it. i think its must be possible to make a kind of hdd installer to bring this image from a dvd to the ps3 hdd too.

but the first step must be a bootable ,,game/linux dvd", with 3d and codec support for every HD content. after this step you can bring a xbmc to this bootable media and make a kind of installer for the hdd.

then its not needed to jailbreak the ps3 for bring xbmc to the box.

but for now the asbest bootloader it not easy to install, not complete public and the complete ps3 solutions are in the first steps.

- topfs2 - 2011-01-11

fns76 Wrote:but the first step must be a bootable ,,game/linux dvd", with 3d and codec support for every HD content. after this step you can bring a xbmc to this bootable media and make a kind of installer for the hdd.

You really have two options, none of them are simple. Either you make as you say 3D support and such to the linux system which has nothing to do with XBMC and is completely third party (and is most likely man-years of work). There are some interesting stuff already done regarding SPU decode and gallium, I have not seen how fast the latter actually is and if it is enough, somehow I doubt it. The gallium 3D drivers for nvidia are fast but they do have some hw accel in them, without that I somehow doubt it will be enough but Id love to be proven wrong. When that is done and you have a linux running on the PS3 you need to incorporate that code into XBMC, which will take some time.

Other option is to actually port XBMC to the PS3 SDK (which is not publically available) and this is depending on what libraries it uses many many man-months if work.

I am kindof tired of so many people in this thread posting steps which clearly have no clue about how big they are or how much work they actually represent. Besides, most of the step-by-step stuff these people post are at best obvious, everyone knows these steps if they have half a brain...

As said previously, if someone takes on this and the patches are good we will most likely accept them. And as stated previously anyone can fork xbmc and do whatever as long as they adhere to GPL, which is also why we no longer need to care about how xbmc4xbox distribute binaries as its not coupled against us anymore. So a third-party could fork and distribute signed PS3 binaries if they wish, its not our responsibility. I can bet alot that sony will go after those that do though.

Cheers,
Tobias

- TugboatBill - 2011-01-12

This helps clarify Sony's attitude to jailbreaks.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/sony-sues-geohot-fail0verflow-over-ps3-exploits/

It doesn't mean it still can't be done, but they're making it that much harder and the potential consequences much more severe. How many of us have the cash to go toe to toe with Sony's legal department?

- teaguecl - 2011-01-12

TugboatBill Wrote:This helps clarify Sony's attitude to jailbreaks.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/11/sony-sues-geohot-fail0verflow-over-ps3-exploits/

It doesn't mean it still can't be done, but they're making it that much harder and the potential consequences much more severe. How many of us have the cash to go toe to toe with Sony's legal department?

Wow, Sony has accused them of "binary malfeasance". Is there really a law that covers that? DMCA obviously covers encryption and content control, but the only thing I've ever heard of covering binary manipulations were EULA's preventing reverse engineering - which have not proven legally binding.

- rl4engx - 2011-01-12

ashlar Wrote:..Now, exactly, when there's ton of options to playback everything... what would be the incentive?

You've just answered your own question. "..there's a ton of options to playback everything.." Yes, and none of them work properly! The last thing you want in the middle of a film is some PC error message popping up saying there's been a keyboard driver failure or some other rubbish.

I agree with a previous poster who said there needs to be more of the old console developers on here to redress the balance. Visiting this forum again after a few years is a bit like going back to your old SU Bar and finding all the energy has gone, it's been taken over by Geography teachers drinking Mild, and the walls have been painted in magnolia.

No one really cares for HTPC's, what most people want is an all in one media/gaming centre that's already integrated into their comfy lounge/TV/Amp/Network and that just works.

I don't claim to have the technical ability or time to help with a PS3 port of XBMC (save to help with any bug reporting), but I know that there are 40 million PS3's out there and a huge demand for some good media player homebrew to run on it. Even if 0.001% start tinkering that's still a huge development community.

Once the technical challenges are overcome I'd imagine PS3 and XBMC (in whatever guise it may take) will become the mainstay media player in a lot of lounges for a good few years to come.