Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- TugboatBill - 2011-01-12

teaguecl Wrote:Wow, Sony has accused them of "binary malfeasance". Is there really a law that covers that? DMCA obviously covers encryption and content control, but the only thing I've ever heard of covering binary manipulations were EULA's preventing reverse engineering - which have not proven legally binding.

There may not be a law, but that doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't file against them. It doesn't matter who is right or wrong as long as the lawyers get paid. Confused

- Warsnoopy - 2011-01-12

I think this can happen because people really aren't seeing the big picture. The problem with linux on the PS3 before it was removed by Sony is that it had no hardware access of any kind and ran like shit.

What we will see eventually, and this is a guarantee, is a stable full access distro coded for the PS3. Lots of groups are already working hard on this because it is easy. If your making linux for 40 million devices that all have the exact same hardware, compatibility problems or drivers issues etc are things of the past.

Once the PS3 linux distro is completed (who knows how long it will take) XBMC on the PS3 will be easy.

- rl4engx - 2011-01-12

Warsnoopy Wrote:Lots of groups are already working hard on this because it is easy.

Excellent news. I'd imagine there's a race to get the first group to produce a stable distro, now that this great new hardware has been made available to the masses.

- htpc guy - 2011-01-12

I'm not very hopeful on this. Sony is coming down pretty hard on the dude that came up with the crack. They are requesting that all sites hosting the crack be removed from the interweb. I know this is virtually impossible at this point because it is probably spread to hundreds of locations but it may make people think twice before anyone tries to port software over to the machine.

They are threatening him with criminal charges (violating the Digital Millennium Copywrite Act).

- Boneless - 2011-01-12

yeah once the jailbreak is out the jailbreak is out, no amount of cracking down can change that. Now what we can hope for is a similar decision to the one made in apple's case-- Jailbreaking should be legal (its your own hardware, its not illegal for me to smash it with a hammer, its not illegal for me to open my tv and connect a bunch of random wires together) piracy should remain illegal, but theres nothing that geohot has done that specifically supports malicious behavior--

I just bought a ps3 a few weeks ago because of all the great news surrounding the opening of the console-- my main intentions are to play rock band 3 and learn piano (we'll see how far i'll get) and to have the ps3 eventually take over the duties of all my other media players (currently a cinematube for HD and general playback-- horrible interface, an orig. xbox running XBMC-- great interface, no HD and spotty dvd support, and a dvi input for a macbook) It would be awesome if the interface could be XBMC, and i'm sure it will be possible eventually, now we've gotta have some patience and hope for some willing and talented devs to appear

- poofyhairguy - 2011-01-12

rl4engx Wrote:You've just answered your own question. "..there's a ton of options to playback everything.." Yes, and none of them work properly!

My HTPCs work great. You obviously lack experience.

Quote:The last thing you want in the middle of a film is some PC error message popping up saying there's been a keyboard driver failure or some other rubbish.

Thanks for proving you lack experience. Failures of that kind never happen.

Quote:I agree with a previous poster who said there needs to be more of the old console developers on here to redress the balance. Visiting this forum again after a few years is a bit like going back to your old SU Bar and finding all the energy has gone, it's been taken over by Geography teachers drinking Mild, and the walls have been painted in magnolia.

Your old bar still exists, it just moved:

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/

Go try your luck there.

Quote:No one really cares for HTPC's, what most people want is an all in one media/gaming centre that's already integrated into their comfy lounge/TV/Amp/Network and that just works.

For the record, 2011 is the YEAR of the HTPC. You say consumers don't want them, yet Boxee and Google (with the GoogleTV) are shipping tons of customized HTPCs this year.

And the fact that you are pretending that even 10% of PS3 owners would be willing torrent an illegal XBMC build and install it is ridiculous. Most people bought a PS3 to play games.

- poofyhairguy - 2011-01-12

Warsnoopy Wrote:What we will see eventually, and this is a guarantee, is a stable full access distro coded for the PS3.

But the problem is:

THE PS3 HARDWARE SUCKS COMPARED TO ANY ION HTPC FOR XBMC PURPOSES!!!!

A PS3 has:

1. An ancient GPU (compared to the technology in ION) that can't decode x264.

2. Only 256mb of RAM (bye bye decent skins)

AND

3. A weird PowerPC CPU that is about as powerful as a Pentium 2 for many general tasks (like the XBMC interface).

You CAN get XBMC on there, but at its best it will be an inferior experience to the first ION system sold.

This isn't just about XBMC developers ignoring some big market, its that the PS3- hardware wise- is a STEP BACKWARDS.

And that is Sony's fault. Their arrogance thought the Cell could do everything, and when it couldn't they had to shove a GPU in at the last minute (hence why the PS3 GPU is less advanced than a 360 GPU despite coming out later). To save some of the money lost by this, Sony then only put in a pitiful amount of RAM. Lose-Lose.

Developers have found ways around these limitations for gaming, but for media center use each mistake of Sony's is MAGNIFIED.

But if someone wants to try have at it.

- Boneless - 2011-01-12

While i understand all the arguments leveraged against using the ps3 as a media player, one just needs to look at the original xbox to see how a completely underpowered system can still function with some pretty advanced features-- the ps3 already has the ability to play back all sorts of HD xvid/h264 content, so personally i'm not so concerned about what skin the GUI is running, etc....

I think my main point is that nobody is demanding that the official XBMC devs do the work on this project, this just happens to be the most logical forum in which to post about such a thing....

Quote:But if someone wants to try have at it.

basically, thats all I personally am saying-- and I know others would greatly appreciate it too-- if you dont wanna, dont bother, and don't worry about it Wink

- htpc guy - 2011-01-12

Boneless Wrote:While i understand all the arguments leveraged against using the ps3 as a media player, one just needs to look at the original xbox to see how a completely underpowered system can still function with some pretty advanced features-- the ps3 already has the ability to play back all sorts of HD xvid/h264 content, so personally i'm not so concerned about what skin the GUI is running, etc....

I think my main point is that nobody is demanding that the official XBMC devs do the work on this project, this just happens to be the most logical forum in which to post about such a thing....

basically, thats all I personally am saying-- and I know others would greatly appreciate it too-- if you dont wanna, dont bother, and don't worry about it Wink

But the original XBox was a great solution for a media center because of price. There are so many better options at much cheaper prices. This would only benefit people who all ready have a PS3.

- Boneless - 2011-01-12

htpc guy Wrote:But the original XBox was a great solution for a media center because of price. There are so many better options at much cheaper prices. This would only benefit people who all ready have a PS3.

i've got no argument with you there... thats true

- Barbaroxxa - 2011-01-12

poofyhairguy Wrote:My HTPCs work great. You obviously lack experience.

Thanks for proving you lack experience. Failures of that kind never happen.

Your old bar still exists, it just moved:

Go try your luck there.

For the record, 2011 is the YEAR of the HTPC. You say consumers don't want them, yet Boxee and Google (with the GoogleTV) are shipping tons of customized HTPCs this year.

And the fact that you are pretending that even 10% of PS3 owners would be willing torrent an illegal XBMC build and install it is ridiculous. Most people bought a PS3 to play games.

Dude what's your problem..

Many people dreaming about a decent media center software with gaming possibilities. Back in the days XBMC caused a big bang on xbox 1. We would want to see this on the PS3 too. But this time it is getting interesting. A gaming machine that has great games and which has a bluray player built in. Some SKU's can play PS2 games as well.

You're saying that the PS3 is incapable of handling x264 codec. You are wrong dude. it just needs a workaround.

With the tools released by team Fail0verflow, we soon would be able to make full use of the cell processor and the gpu in ''OtherOS'' mode.

Then you will see that the PS3 is the best platform for XBMC..

- Robotica - 2011-01-13

poofyhairguy Wrote:Your old bar still exists, it just moved:

Go try your luck there.

With that said, I think xbmc4xbox is a better place for discussing XBMC forks (for consoles in general). xbmc branche is dead on xbmc.org since xbox' hardware is not capable for XBMC anymore.

Since the split, many commits are sinked by Arnova (and other like exobuzz) to xbmc4xbox so development is really up te date. To have XBMC running on consoles, it probably is better to start with XBMC4XBOX

XBMC can not satisfy those low hardware consoles anymore since design decisions in the last 2 years ask for more power.

Edit: Oops, xbmc4xbox is windows.

- Boneless - 2011-01-13

started a topic about this on the xbmc4xbox forums: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1602

- poofyhairguy - 2011-01-13

Barbaroxxa Wrote:Dude what's your problem..

This is a 40 page thread that already includes what must happen for XBMC on the PS3 to exist and reasonable explanations from XBMC developers why they aren't interested in doing that.

Yet poster after poster comes on here and tries to tell XBMC developers that they- a random stranger- knows what is better for the future of XBMC than the developers do. Its ridiculous at this point.

Quote:Many people dreaming about a decent media center software with gaming possibilities.

Then build one. My not too expensive quad core HTPC BLOWS AWAY a PS3 in raw power. DESTROYS it. The PS3 came out in 2006, that is old news in 2011. At once it was the hardware king, but that was back when Linux was actually allowed on the console. Heck even an ION with 2GB of ram and a SSD can have a XBMC experience MAGNITUDES better than a PS3.

Quote:You're saying that the PS3 is incapable of handling x264 codec. You are wrong dude. it just needs a workaround.

No. You haven't read the thread obviously. I HAVE said that the PS3 can play the files (duh it plays Blu Rays), but I also said that thanks to other limitations the PS3 will struggle with XBMC's interface. And quite honestly, without the pretty interface- why not just use Mplayer or something (which already works on the PS3 for YEARS BTW)?

Quote:With the tools released by team Fail0verflow, we soon would be able to make full use of the cell processor and the gpu in ''OtherOS'' mode.

So what!?! I had full use of both YEARS AGO when someone found a hole in the hypervisor. I was playing with both WAY back when they were more relevant hardware (2007).

It is not gonna change the fact that the DRIVER for the GPU is no where near what the closed x86 driver is, or that every PS3 on the planet has less RAM than some new cell phones.

Quote:Then you will see that the PS3 is the best platform for XBMC..

The day a PS3 with 256MB of RAM and a rotational (so funny in 2011) HD is a better HTPC than my Quad Core, 4GB, SSD driven HTPC monster, is the day I will eat my hat and put the video on youtube!

- htpc guy - 2011-01-13

poofyhairguy Wrote:The day a PS3 with 256MB of RAM and a rotational (so funny in 2011) HD is a better HTPC than my Quad Core, 4GB, SSD driven HTPC monster, is the day I will eat my hat and put the video on youtube!

LaughLOLZ Falls Out of ChairLaugh