Kodi Community Forum
Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Port XBMC to PS3 (PlayStation 3) to run on Linux ("Other OS") or natively on GameOS? (/showthread.php?tid=21849)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

- linuxluemmel - 2011-01-13

poofyhairguy Wrote:The day a PS3 with 256MB of RAM and a rotational (so funny in 2011) HD is a better HTPC than my Quad Core, 4GB, SSD driven HTPC monster, is the day I will eat my hat and put the video on youtube!

I eat my hat too including the jeans I wear ,-) if that happens .... LOL
Please make this thread stopped ...

- waste of time and energy
- I guess the devs allready said it a few times .... ps3 is not the right solution for running xbmc.
- Compared to systems from 2011 the ps3 looks like a c64 inside a case of a SUN-Workstation ... :_)

- linuxluemmel - 2011-01-13

Barbaroxxa Wrote:You're saying that the PS3 is incapable of handling x264 codec. You are wrong dude. it just needs a workaround.

The workaround means to replace the ps3 with a real HTPC from 2011

- TugboatBill - 2011-01-13

Lol!

- BORIStheBLADE - 2011-01-13

The best hack for a PS3 that supported by XBMC.... Drum roll.....

- air.zrakovic - 2011-01-13

Great news guys !! Nod
read this: SNES9x (Super Nintendo Emulator) PS3 Port Arrives!

- Geeba - 2011-01-13

Geesss people shouting ages around again... a PS3/360 will still give any game rig a run for its money - and I'm a windows game rigger! not a console player so all the blow it away chit chat is just daft - its optimized hardware - PS3 is still a very capable system an will still be playing the game that you will be upgrading your PC hardware next year to play. - the same reason a PIII Xbox played Half Life 2 - a P4 1.7Ghz minimum with 265Mb GFX card was the spec on a PC.

It will never come out of here - but I'll bet XBMC will end up on PS3 in some shape or form - it has a massive following - there will be an overlap of interests.
Does make me laugh - one dev has already said they will accept patches... and the people that are so anti it, by the look of thing have probably never known or used Xbox and know just how good uniform hardware was - if PS3 ever got the attention the original Xbox had (and to state again I'm not asking for this) then I would be buying you a portion of chips/fries to have with that hat!

- darkscout - 2011-01-13

Quote:one dev has already said they will accept patches

That's the boiler plate "I sure as hell aren't going to work on it" response from the devs.

"I want a unicorn and pony with XBMC" -> "Submit a patch".

So until someone or some group steps forward saying they're going to do the PS3 port, then it isn't going to happen.

Davilla has his pet projects of the AppleTV, Broadcom and maybe AppleTV2. Those are his contributions to otherwise "closed hardware.

Until Sigma paid a 3rd party to port to their chips, the Devs had flat out said that they won't support Sigma chipsets because they're not open enough. (Popcorn Hour, etc). Now Sigma is looking like it may happen. But that's because someone stepped up and took the reigns.

I see plenty of people wanting the PS3 port and chiding the devs for not doing it, but no one has actually stepped forward.

I'm not saying it won't ever happen. But a 42 page thread begging and arguing with the Devs isn't what is going to make it work. It's going to be someone spending their free time developing it. Heck there was once a very internal beta of XBMC for the Wii floating around.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32974

Developer made 3 Posts. But even got "Grumpy Bastard Developer" spiff to say "great work" and "Team-XBMC Developer" topfs2 to say "Wonderfull work mate! this will be interesting, gives me the shivers already". And was never heard from again.

So. Pick up your C++ in 21 days book and get started. Until then, drop it.

- Geeba - 2011-01-13

"Until then, drop it. "

Drop what mate? - I aint asking for it! - this a forum people come here to talk... thats how the projects get started - a C++ guru in Timbuktu googles PS3/XBMC and ends up here.

"But that's because someone stepped up and took the reigns. "

Yeah thats pretty much how XBMC has always been... VDPAU/DXVA even the Xbox by Arnova and Exobuzz, the ATV by Davilla....

- cassius - 2011-01-13

poofyhairguy Wrote:http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/

Wow, never knew the xbox xbmc community was still so active. Thanks for the tip poofyhairguy... now for some xbox modding...

- crash123 - 2011-01-13

darkscout Wrote:That's the boiler plate "I sure as hell aren't going to work on it" response from the devs.

"I want a unicorn and pony with XBMC" -> "Submit a patch".

So until someone or some group steps forward saying they're going to do the PS3 port, then it isn't going to happen.

Davilla has his pet projects of the AppleTV, Broadcom and maybe AppleTV2. Those are his contributions to otherwise "closed hardware.

Until Sigma paid a 3rd party to port to their chips, the Devs had flat out said that they won't support Sigma chipsets because they're not open enough. (Popcorn Hour, etc). Now Sigma is looking like it may happen. But that's because someone stepped up and took the reigns.

I see plenty of people wanting the PS3 port and chiding the devs for not doing it, but no one has actually stepped forward.

I'm not saying it won't ever happen. But a 42 page thread begging and arguing with the Devs isn't what is going to make it work. It's going to be someone spending their free time developing it. Heck there was once a very internal beta of XBMC for the Wii floating around.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=32974

Developer made 3 Posts. But even got "Grumpy Bastard Developer" spiff to say "great work" and "Team-XBMC Developer" topfs2 to say "Wonderfull work mate! this will be interesting, gives me the shivers already". And was never heard from again.

So. Pick up your C++ in 21 days book and get started. Until then, drop it.
Yeah you guys have to remember that while they are called the dev team the are still just volunteers doing what interests them. Every part of XBMC source code written by the XBMC dev team that has ever been added to XBMC has only been done so because what ever they have added interests them. Why would they do something in their spare time that they don't get paid for and that they don't want to do?

Also the reason it looks like we have a Sigma port on the way is because Sigma actually paid someone to do it.

- Geeba - 2011-01-13

cassius Wrote:Wow, never knew the xbox xbmc community was still so active. Thanks for the tip poofyhairguy... now for some xbox modding...

Yep get over a join up! great bunch of guys over there. Big Grin I still cant resist the ugly box! Laugh

- rl4engx - 2011-01-13

Lulz @ "2011 is the year of the HTPC" Haha, I don't think so somehow, PC's will never be mass market consumer devices for the lounge cos they're too complicated! Having to phone Curry's up because you get an "Windows has encountered an error and needs to shut down.."!

It appears I've unwittingly stumbled into a HTPC Fanboy zone..

I already have (Hummy Freeview+, 360, PS3, Viewsonic VMP-74) under my TV so I certainly don't want some "HTPC" sat there making noise, using loads of electricity, needing an extra Network cable, constant maintenance, taking up another optical input on my amp, etc.

My PC is 4 years old, and sits upstairs all day getting my torrents, I don't need (or want) another PC because at the end of the day it's only job is to fetch stuff to display on my telly, how it gets to my telly is independent (The Viewsonic is OK for now).

Fact: You don't need 4Gb of RAM to play a 1920x1080p video file. It only needs that amount of RAM because of bloated OS's, code that has to cater for 2^n different Hardware configurations, sloppy coding in general etc.

This is the beauty of fixed hardware, you don't need Bloat. Hence why PS3 is the ideal platform for a build (not a bloat build) of XBMC.

- Boneless - 2011-01-13

i'm dissapointed that the other thread was completely deleted-- for anyone who is interested in this here there is another discussion located at: http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1602

- TugboatBill - 2011-01-13

hube Wrote:Now that we can use homebrew in the PS3: There will be a XBMC for PS3? Cool

THX.

That hack is under serious attack.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/12/sony-follows-up-officially-sues-geohot-and-fail0verflow-over-ps/

- The_Dogg - 2011-01-13

^^ the hack is already out, sony can try what they want to stop it, but it's a moo point.

Master key has been released, and sony can't do nothing about it appart from trying to scare people off