Kodi Community Forum
WIP adsp.biquad.filters - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+---- Forum: Audio DSP (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=235)
+---- Thread: WIP adsp.biquad.filters (/showthread.php?tid=218756)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: adsp.biquad.filters - giaur - 2016-06-11

My workaround is to adjust values during playback, then write down slider values, edit xml and write correct values. Save xml, restart Kodi and it's ok.

RE: adsp.biquad.filters - giaur - 2016-06-12

Btw does anybody know if there is any Android build? Some repository for Android?

RE: adsp.biquad.filters - AchimTuran - 2016-06-13

Currently no port of adsp.biquad.filters exist for Android.

RE: adsp.biquad.filters - giaur - 2016-06-14

Are there any technical limitations? Will it work if compiled?

RE: adsp.biquad.filters - AchimTuran - 2016-06-14

Quite a good questionBlush

No there are no technical limitations. It's a basic C/C++ implementation, which could be ported to any platform that has a C/C++ compiler and is capable of loading shared libraries (binary add-ons). If this step is done it comes to the more or less hard part. Fixing bugs that doesn't appear on already ported platforms (e.g. adsp.biquad.filters works nice on Windows, but had a problem during settings saving on Linux, which doesn't appear on Windows). So far I have learned that some things can go easily wrong on different platforms. Alwinus and I had that many times in the early days of AudioDSP. He works on Linux, I on Windows. Alwinus did some changes on Linux, which didn't work under Windows. Then we both only had question marks in our eyesHuhTongue

So far the only limitation we have is man power and the lack of time. Maintaining 3 add-ons for Android, RPi, Windows, Linux, OS X and iOS is quite a huge amount of work. Furthermore AudioDSP needs to be implemented properly in Kodi itself on Android, RPi... Which is also quite a lot of work for one developer (me Blush). Doing all the work in spare time after my paid job is exhausting, but I really would like to see my vision to become reallity. A powerful customizable audio signal processing system that works on all platforms that Kodi is ported to and is easy to handle, which inlcudes configuration and extensions through self developed binary add-ons. Not like the mess we have out like VST... I really would like to love to develop for AudioDSP in full time, but then the money is the problem Blush

Currently we have the case, which I described above. AudioDSP works fine on Linux and Windows, but is totaly broken on RPi and Android. Kodi crashes all the time you if you try to enable AudioDSP, which is a pity. I try to fix the situation since approximately two weeks. Because it is the first time that I try to run and develop for Kodi on RPi, it will take some time. All of the needed stuff is new to me.Big Grin But I achieved a good progress. RPi doesn't crash any more and the last remaining problem is that the sound output is distorted and out of synchronization with video frames. I guess that I have solved the most problems, but I missed a small detailWink Hopefully it also fixes the crashes on Android. Then the "only" step that prevents BiQuad Filters to run on Android is a developer (hopefully me) that could manage to compile it for this platform and has the ability to fix all appearing bugs. Last week I was able to compile Kodi for Android, but the packaging is not working. This currently prevents AudioDSP development on my NVidia Shield.
Theoretically I can build Kodi for Windows, Linux, RPi and Android. The missing platform is OS X, because I don't own a MacWink

I guess in a near future we will see BiQuad Filters running on Android and RPi. But I can't say when. Currently the RPi issue takes so much time that I don't have the time to dive into Android. If you want you can follow the discussion in my pull request. When this PR gets closed and merged, AudioDSP might run on Android but with missing BiQuad Filters.Confused

RE: adsp.biquad.filters - leonpierresusan - 2016-06-14

Dear wisler. Thank you very much for all your effort on this project. I am sure I speak for everyone following this, and those who are yet to discover it, that we are very excited.

RE: adsp.biquad.filters - giaur - 2016-06-14

Hi,

Thanks for detailed response. Well, so I'm a little surprised - you mean it's not working on RPi. I thought Rpi is the same as Linux (only cpu differs, arm instead of x86). As I already mentioned, I'm using unofficial Openelec on OrangePi - hardware is Allwinner H3 (arm v7). Your addon works like a charm - the only bug is related to settings saving. I guess you have not ported your addon to this platform - so either there is no any specific work needed (linux version is ok, enough to compile your codes), or it's ported to Allwinner hardware by the same guy who has ported Openelec.

RE: adsp.biquad.filters - adit - 2016-06-15

I almost sold my speakers, but in fact I only needed this addon Smile. Major development for kodi as media player in my opinion, congrats @wisler!

RE: adsp.biquad.filters - AchimTuran - 2016-06-15

Awesome guys.

So far I didn't know that you like AudioDSP and BiQuad Filters so muchBlush Quite a good motivation to go further.

Maybe some of you have missed my tweet. We now have Estuary support in our latest nightly builds and the EQ does have rotated sliders. Looks pretty awesome in my living roomBig Grin

Quote:Major development for kodi as media player in my opinion, congrats @wisler!
Hopefully it works someday with RetroPlayer Big Grin
This would be very awesome.

Quote:Thanks for detailed response. Well, so I'm a little surprised - you mean it's not working on RPi. I thought Rpi is the same as Linux (only cpu differs, arm instead of x86). As I already mentioned, I'm using unofficial Openelec on OrangePi - hardware is Allwinner H3 (arm v7). Your addon works like a charm - the only bug is related to settings saving. I guess you have not ported your addon to this platform - so either there is no any specific work needed (linux version is ok, enough to compile your codes), or it's ported to Allwinner hardware by the same guy who has ported Openelec.
No problem. I guess most don't know what happends behind the scenes in open source development and I thought it's a good idea to share more about it.
Don't miss interpret my post. I really like creating add-ons and improve Kodi's audio output capabilities.
I guess you had luck that it works on your OrangePi. It's officially not supported from my side. Blush
It might be the case that it differs only in the CPU, but RPi has it's own implementation for the audio sink and video player. So far I know and it currently breaks Confused. On normal Linux AudioDSP is fine. Consequently it is not just Linux with a different CPU. Before that happend I tought so too.Big Grin
Sure he only managed to compile the add-on, but did not the required tests. Blush But during browsing the code I saw the issue, which should break during saving the settings from the EQ.
If RPi works I will release the next version of BiQuad Filters. Then I will look what I can do for Android.

RE: adsp.biquad.filters - giaur - 2016-06-16

@wisler - so, next release will have saving settings fixed, right? If I understand correctly, it's already fixed?

P.S. for test on Linux, you can eaisly set up Openelec, live usb booted from pendrive on any PC

RE: adsp.biquad.filters - AchimTuran - 2016-06-16

Right on my hard disk I already have some fixes. But I like to do more tests before I publish them. I guess at the end of this month or at the beginning of the next month you will see a new stable release with fixes. Hopefully they work well on other platforms.

I already have a VirtualBox image that runs Ubuntu and another one for OpenElec. Very awesome I can start Kodi on Windows, RPi & Android (both with real hardware), Linux and OpenElec without rebooting or leaving my desk. Very awesome.

RE: adsp.biquad.filters - AchimTuran - 2016-06-21

@adit & @giaur

The settings issue should be fixed. With my first tests it seems to work here Blush

In the next days I will provide first testbuilds for Windows and the other platforms. Linux and RPi will be available through a LibreELEC.

RE: adsp.biquad.filters - adit - 2016-06-21

Great news, thanks for sharing!

RE: adsp.biquad.filters - giaur - 2016-06-23

(2016-06-21, 20:22)wisler Wrote: @adit & @giaur

The settings issue should be fixed. With my first tests it seems to work here Blush

In the next days I will provide first testbuilds for Windows and the other platforms. Linux and RPi will be available through a LibreELEC.

Thanks. Are there your fixes already pushed to github?

RE: adsp.biquad.filters - AchimTuran - 2016-06-23

(2016-06-23, 13:35)giaur Wrote: Thanks. Are there your fixes already pushed to github?

Sure Big Grin
See here. I use this branch for developing until my AudioDSP fixes are merged into xbmc's master branch and the community have tested with my provided testbuildsWink.

If you want you can compile it on your own or have a look at my testbuild thread, which should cover the most platforms.Blush