Kodi Community Forum
Android M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Android M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage (/showthread.php?tid=223367)

Pages: 1 2

M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - davidgilmore - 2015-04-04

Hello chaps. Have used and setup countless M8 boxes over last 6 months with various different configurations. Ever since Kodi 14 I have some boxes that crash and the Kodi app seems to either not open at all or returns to 'First time use setup' and the app itself has suddenly gone from an average of 400MB in size to over 5GB in size (after the crash). The massive file size then makes the box unstable and the only way to fix it it os flash it.

It doesn't seem to happen on every box, but has become more and more common.

I am in contact with manufacturer (awaiting response) to find out of this is a known problem, just wanted to see if anyone else has witnesses this strange problem and if there is any known work-around.

Have managed to replicate crash using Kodi 14 / 14.1 and 14.2

One last thing, the boxes come installed with Super User, however there is no log activity in SU, I cannot see of the Kodi has been granted root access or not. It was my understanding that Kodi does require root access - early M8 boxes with XBMC had some audio sync issues, was told by manufacturer it was because the box was not rooted.

Any help please?

RE: M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - gwilly7 - 2015-04-04

I just came looking for an answer to the same problem. I upgraded an MX2 box and an Amazon Firetv to Kodi 14.2 this week and both are having the same problem and were working fine previously.

RE: M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - davidgilmore - 2015-04-05

Having done some more research I am wondering if there is an issue with cache. All my boxes (I have done many) have the 'M' tool installed and I have zero cache enabled on each box.

RE: M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - JNRW - 2015-04-05

Careful, David, what you have referred to (m t) is not Kodi approved.

RE: M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - davidgilmore - 2015-04-05

Ooops thank you JNRW. Anyone else have experience with this issue on Android though? Am I on to the right track here? does having zero cache max out device storage ?

RE: M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - gwilly7 - 2015-04-05

I was wondering if that might be the problem too bit have been using zero cache for years with no problems until now and now it happened on two different brands of boxes.

RE: M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - davidgilmore - 2015-04-06

I have used zero cache for about 9 months without any issues as well, but i have had a whole load of problems over the last few months. I have now taken zero off and am trying just the standard settings for cache to see how I get on. Watched an entire 3hr HD movie yesterday without any problems so far

RE: M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - ratcat - 2015-04-08

A friend of mine has the same issues, I have the same M8 box, same 14.2 Kodi with no issues yet, we are both investigating to find out the cause and possible fix, I will post if we figure it out.

RE: M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - gwilly7 - 2015-04-08

There is a temp folder in the kodi folder that is getting very large, not sure what the best way to delete it is.

RE: M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - ratcat - 2015-04-08

(2015-04-08, 18:40)gwilly7 Wrote: There is a temp folder in the kodi folder that is getting very large, not sure what the best way to delete it is.

You can see how big your cache is by going to android main screen, settings, other, more settings, apps, open apps go click on Kodi, you will see the cache and how big it is, you can clear the cache and see what happens, what ever you do, do not click the clear data button, you will lose all your repositories channels and other essential data in Kodi.
Please post the amount of data in your cache at the time, this can help me On figuring out what is going on.

RE: M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - gwilly7 - 2015-04-08

(2015-04-08, 20:10)ratcat Wrote:
(2015-04-08, 18:40)gwilly7 Wrote: There is a temp folder in the kodi folder that is getting very large, not sure what the best way to delete it is.

You can see how big your cache is by going to android main screen, settings, other, more settings, apps, open apps go click on Kodi, you will see the cache and how big it is, you can clear the cache and see what happens, what ever you do, do not click the clear data button, you will lose all your repositories channels and other essential data in Kodi.
Please post the amount of data in your cache at the time, this can help me On figuring out what is going on.

I have done that and the cache is minimal and the data is over well over 3gb with most of that being one file called filecache001.cache that is in the temp folder in the kodi folder. Not sure if this is a cache file why it is showing up as data. Very strange. On one of the boxes I tried to delete the whole temp folder but kodi would not start up afterwards.

RE: M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - ratcat - 2015-04-09

(2015-04-08, 21:41)gwilly7 Wrote:
(2015-04-08, 20:10)ratcat Wrote:

I have done that and the cache is minimal and the data is over well over 3gb with most of that being one file called filecache001.cache that is in the temp folder in the kodi folder. Not sure if this is a cache file why it is showing up as data. Very strange. On one of the boxes I tried to delete the whole temp folder but kodi would not start up afterwards.
Ok, my friends box had the exact same problem, he was running kodi 14,1 not 14,2 as I stated, he had almost 5 gigs of data with 53MB of free space left over on his internal storage, we flushed all the data then kodi could be opened again, then we deleted kodi right after and installed 14.2, now he has to redo all the repositories and other setup.
Im running 14.2 on my box and have 500 MB of data stored in kodi, Im going to keep an eye on it tonight, but Ive used my box way more than my friend has used his, I think I did some kind of extra step when I was setting up my box, Im trying to remember what it was, I understand 14.2 has the same problem, I have a feeling the extra step I did flushes the data properly, like I said Im trying to remember what I did, also kodi can take a few minutes to shut down as I think thats when the data is getting dumped.

My friend had turned the box off a few times as he thought there was something wrong with the shutdown as it was taking a long time, if kodi is taking a long time shutting down, you must leave it, turn the TV off, leave the box on and walk away, kodi will shut down, bad kodi shutdowns could be the problem here, but Im still looking.

RE: M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - davidgilmore - 2015-04-11

I always let my boxes shut down properly before pulling the plug so not sure if that is what the issue is (although i agree that not allowing a proper shutdown may cause issues). What I have done now is installed SPMC on some boxes and running that with the zero cache DISABLED (so no advanced settings). When I did the install first off the size of SPMC was around 488MB (with all the addons installed etc). After one week of watching several movies and some live streams the size today is 539MB so looks like (as far as I am concerned) it was either KODI or the zero cache setting.

RE: M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - davidgilmore - 2015-04-14

***MOD EDIT: snip snip***

RE: M8 Box Kodi 14.2 crashes and uses all device storage - thespangleman - 2015-04-15

(2015-04-14, 15:27)davidgilmore Wrote: ***MOD EDIT: snip snip. ***
Hi David, I'm glad my post yesterday helped you, good to know.