Kodi Community Forum
Pictures database and library mode; scan EXIF and IPTC metadata tags into a SQL db - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Pictures database and library mode; scan EXIF and IPTC metadata tags into a SQL db (/showthread.php?tid=22407)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

- pecinko - 2009-06-26

I do not know if it is really necessary to change DB.

Maybe it is enough to sort pictures by a Description or Title tag. This way I could tag part of a pictures in iTag and lately choose them in XBMC by "Trip to Berlin", "Summer vacation 2005" and so on.

- Gamester17 - 2009-06-26

pecinko Wrote:I do not know if it is really necessary to change DB to SQL.

Maybe it is enough to sort pictures by a Description or Title tag.
Sorting by anything other than file-name or file-size is not possible without a database, so that is needed before anything else.

Rolleyes

- steve1977 - 2009-06-29

Gamester17 Wrote:Sorting by anything other than file-name or file-size is not possible without a database, so that is needed before anything else.

Rolleyes

So, it all comes back to sho's post. 90% is done, but takes a skilled developer to be interested in this feature.

Cheers!!!

- MaxNL - 2009-06-29

Maybe it should be made not directly in XBMC. I could use Picasa to handle album, tags, etc etc etc and then just import these information in XBMC.
Just like MIP or MC or EMM does for movies Picasa would do for pictures.

Regards
Max

- steve1977 - 2009-06-29

MaxNL Wrote:Maybe it should be made not directly in XBMC. I could use Picasa to handle album, tags, etc etc etc and then just import these information in XBMC.

Regards
Max

For XBMC for Mac, a iphoto plugin exists. Works fairly well, but still not as ideal as an own database.

- pecinko - 2009-06-30

MaxNL Wrote:Maybe it should be made not directly in XBMC. I could use Picasa to handle album, tags, etc etc etc and then just import these information in XBMC.

Regards
Max

As I understood problem, there is no database for pictures (as for movies and music), accordingly there is no way to display and sort photos by tags. So it does not matter where do you handle your content.

Lets hope that some of the developers will consider picture database useful for XBMC as such, disregarding personal lack of interest.

- EMK0 - 2009-06-30

one thing that would make my picture viewing better when the library gets added would be when i put in my sd card or plug in my camera via usb xbmc detects it and imports/transfers the pictures to the library. The pictures library has been requested 3 years ago Sad It seems like no devs like to view there pictures on there tv, i hope someone picks up this project.

- ultrabrutal - 2009-06-30

how about yourself? everyone can learn to code! start by doing small patches to existing code before undertaking bigger challenges Smile

- EMK0 - 2009-07-01

you make it sound so easy i couldn't even make a python plugin with out getting a big headache Sad and when i looked a patches for xbmc those look even harder to understand.

- m.savazzi - 2009-07-03

Gamester17 Wrote:Sorting by anything other than file-name or file-size is not possible without a database, so that is needed before anything else.

Rolleyes

You are right.

It would be perfect to create a library where the file tags are store and then the exif info.

The user experience should be something like the Adobe Photoshop elements or other programs that allow you to check-uncheck the tags and filter the picture accordingly.

It should be great!

- jcouvaras - 2009-07-05

I Agree a Picture Database is now needed and would be a great feature to have :-)

I currently have about 33,000 Pictures and the newer ones are all about 5MB+ in size as I've moved up to a DSLR and XBMC does take a long time to read in all the information and load the directories that have 1500+ pictures in them.

Also scrolling and viewing the thumbs is slow where as if I use ACDSee (Image viewer) it's fast and seems to work well with it's internal Database.

It would be great to be able to catalog/'scan' all your pictures into the XBMC database even if it's just purely for thumbs creation for now as this alone will save allot of time when you want to view the pics they will be there for viewing whilst at the moment a folder with 1500+ pictures is about 8.2GB in size that XBMC has to read in and catalog only when you enter that folder and cannot to much else until it's finished else it does not keep scanning/creating thumbs.

Just a though that I believe might be nice to have a scan for changes on the pictures folder, I'm also not sure why when viewing large folders or pictures why scrolling and navigating through the picutres is so slow... I am using an older PC (Pentium 4 2.8Ghz with HT) so that could be why but other tasks on the PC seem to run fine... Perhaps XBCM is loading very high quality thumbs even though it's not needed and this could required a very large amount of RAM/CPU power? I'm not sure... any one know the answer and is there a solution to speeding the thumbs viewing up?

Thanks very much
Jonathan :-)

Library for pictures - m.savazzi - 2009-07-09

Maybe is not in the core focus of the topic but I would love to have a library for pictures like Picasa-Photoshop Elements etc...
so that I can filter pictures by the tags I've given them.

Mf

- steve1977 - 2009-08-03

jcouvaras Wrote:I Agree a Picture Database is now needed and would be a great feature to have :-)

I currently have about 33,000 Pictures and the newer ones are all about 5MB+ in size as I've moved up to a DSLR and XBMC does take a long time to read in all the information and load the directories that have 1500+ pictures in them.

Also scrolling and viewing the thumbs is slow where as if I use ACDSee (Image viewer) it's fast and seems to work well with it's internal Database.

It would be great to be able to catalog/'scan' all your pictures into the XBMC database even if it's just purely for thumbs creation for now as this alone will save allot of time when you want to view the pics they will be there for viewing whilst at the moment a folder with 1500+ pictures is about 8.2GB in size that XBMC has to read in and catalog only when you enter that folder and cannot to much else until it's finished else it does not keep scanning/creating thumbs.

Just a though that I believe might be nice to have a scan for changes on the pictures folder, I'm also not sure why when viewing large folders or pictures why scrolling and navigating through the picutres is so slow... I am using an older PC (Pentium 4 2.8Ghz with HT) so that could be why but other tasks on the PC seem to run fine... Perhaps XBCM is loading very high quality thumbs even though it's not needed and this could required a very large amount of RAM/CPU power? I'm not sure... any one know the answer and is there a solution to speeding the thumbs viewing up?

Thanks very much
Jonathan :-)

Perfect description of exactly my situation. Any hope short- or mid-term in sight?

Cheers!!!

- steve1977 - 2009-10-03

Any hope for the next release?

- lennon105 - 2009-12-09

Hello

I've been away from the scene for a little while but glad to see my requested picture database has some interest. I'm hoping with the added platforms this needed feature could find a talented coder. (little ass kiss couldn't hurt Smile ) I see in the tracker it's been changed to future.... does that mean it's being worked on?
Thanks again

http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/3117