Kodi Community Forum
Kodiubuntu USB bootable will not boot - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Kodiubuntu USB bootable will not boot (/showthread.php?tid=226350)

Pages: 1 2

Kodiubuntu USB bootable will not boot - ASydReign - 2015-05-07

Hello everyone and thank you to all who help me out in advance!

About 9 months back I had turned an old computer of mine into an xbmcbuntu 13.0 Gotham machine however after numerous bugs and issues with the XBMC portion as well as the OS itself I kind of stopped working on it. I see now that there is a stable version of Kodibuntu available and would like to completely scrap my old installation and start fresh with this new one.

Everything was going well, I grabbed a usb stick, used the Kodibuntu ISO and created a bootable flashdrive with it, popped it into the computer, changed bios to removable priority and even booted from the removable via the boot menu but nothing happens.

I feel like there is something simple I am messing up on. I tried 3 different USBs, all USB ports on the computer, 2 different programs to create a bootable drive but still nothing. I am wondering if since I have xbmcbuntu installed already if that is causing an issue? I wouldn't think it would since the first time I installed it i did a few re-installs while I was learning how to use the Linux based OS.

And for a little background insight, the reason I want to start completely fresh is because I think my install has just been damage by me personally. Package Manager and other programs will not open when clicked and on the rare occasion that System package manager opens it says I don't have admin privileges and doesn't allow me to update anything even though I clearly see that there is an update for Kodi available in the very large list of available updates. When I try and update through xterm it asks for my password and, although I don't believe it is the case that I have forgotten it, it doesn't recognize the password I use or simple stops allowing me to type in commands (very odd). I have nothing of value on the hard disk as I bought it new just for this build, so wiping it clean of the previous install and settings isn't an issue for me.

I can provide anything in terms of pictures of my bios, what it shows when I attempt to boot (which is nothing but a blinking underscore) or anything else that may help someone help me.

I would appreciate any feedback!! Thank you all so much!

RE: Kodiubuntu USB bootable will not boot - DaVu - 2015-05-08

Which software did you use to create the bootable USB stick?

Win32diskimager is the recommended one. Unetbootin works fine for me but I heard of ppl having issues with that. I also got success with the linux built in USB-boot-stick-creator (those names differ form distro to distro). So, which one did you take?

Can you provide some specs of the laptop, please....the GPU is most important.

RE: Kodiubuntu USB bootable will not boot - un1versal - 2015-05-08

Rufus, is one of the best for windows imo.

Re: Kodiubuntu USB bootable will not boot - nickr - 2015-05-09

Win32diskimager and Rufus are windows only. Unetbootin works well.

RE: Kodiubuntu USB bootable will not boot - un1versal - 2015-05-09

I wrote this whole page on this and more http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_KodiBuntu_from_a_USB_drive someone should read it.

RE: Kodiubuntu USB bootable will not boot - Soli - 2015-05-09

Note that unetbootin for OSX does not work on OSX 10.8+. It's been like that for the last few years now. Works fine on Windows, but I would prefer Lili.

RE: Kodiubuntu USB bootable will not boot - ASydReign - 2015-05-13

I used both Rufus and Lili to create the bootable drives and neither of them worked. I also believe the gpu is a Nvidia ti550. It is not a laptop, it is an old desktop gaming pc that I had lying around.

As for uNiversal, that was the page I read to help me before I posted here. Unfortunately the steps simply didn't work after many attempts. The drives just won't boot.

RE: Kodiubuntu USB bootable will not boot - nickr - 2015-05-13

Some USB drives are just stubborn. I have found my older 1 or 2 GB drives work best. They need to come up to speed real fast for the BIOS to recognise them as bootable. There are other factirs too I believe. Just try different ones.

Also, uNiversal, the link that you have for the Ubuntu ISO on the wiki you created has been 404. Have tried to find another but have had a hard time locating one.

Yeah, agreed nickr, that's why I used 4 different ones, all different sizes and brands. One of them was even the one I have used to install xbmc on other machines. Does it just take forever for it to start up?

And, if it makes a difference, I created the bootable disk on a windows computer and I am trying to get a xbmcubuntu computer to boot from the created drive. Not sure if I made that clear earlier.

RE: Kodiubuntu USB bootable will not boot - DaVu - 2015-05-13

Last thing I could imagine....try different USB ports.

Otherwise try downloading OpenElec for a test and see, if you might be able to install this.

Ps.: And the wiki universal linked to works pretty fine. No 404 for me

Re: Kodiubuntu USB bootable will not boot - nickr - 2015-05-13

UnI points to a number of isos. The plain Ubuntu (not kodibuntu) one is 404.

RE: Kodiubuntu USB bootable will not boot - DaVu - 2015-05-14

Oh...misread again...you're right. Sorry

RE: Kodiubuntu USB bootable will not boot - ASydReign - 2015-05-15

Anyone have a link for the one that is 404? Yeah, tried every usb port with every different drive and it's the same thing. If I used openelec does it still have an OS? Not so familiar with it but more than willing to give it a shot.