Kodi Community Forum
Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update) (/showthread.php?tid=228158)

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated April 18, 2016 - 3.1 Marshmallow) - Tinwarble - 2016-06-11

No, you don't need to convert anything, Kodi will play those files.

However, if you want a cleaner setup then .mkv is a better choice. What tool to use depends on if you want compressed or 1:1 videos. For 1:1 use MKVtoolnix , for compressed use Handbrake.

With MKVtoolnix your videos will be the same size and quality as the original. With Handbrake you'll lose a little bit of quality (you probably won't notice if you use high profile settings) but you'll get a much small file size.

You also don't need any add-on to scrape data or artwork, that is already built into Kodi. All you need to do is add the source to the library. http://kodi.wiki/view/Video_library/Adding_media_sources

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated April 18, 2016 - 3.1 Marshmallow) - mjbxx - 2016-06-11

(2016-06-11, 08:25)Tinwarble Wrote: Try X-Plore: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lonelycatgames.Xplore

You can actually install it directly using the Play Store on the Shield.
I find ES File Explorer to be frustrating to use as well. X-Plore File Manager appears to be an excellent alternative. Be sure to buy a beer to unlock the app to gain Lan access and other premium features. Thanks for the tip on this.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated April 18, 2016 - 3.1 Marshmallow) - SeniorBoy - 2016-06-11

(2016-06-11, 18:40)Tinwarble Wrote: No, you don't need to convert anything, Kodi will play those files.

---snip

+1

Much much thanks. You motivated me to look again and correct you are.

One little friggin switch /lol from another thread on this forum. AFTER I did this: Settings > Videos > File Lists > Combine Split Video Items and make sure it's selected. That causes Kodi to see the DVD structure as one movie object

Bingo! smb share scraped meta data and ready to play all 200 of my rips. Tested a few and they play fine.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated April 18, 2016 - 3.1 Marshmallow) - Hiphopopotamus - 2016-06-12

(2016-06-11, 18:40)Tinwarble Wrote: With Handbrake you'll lose a little bit of quality (you probably want notice if you use high profile settings) but you'll get a much small file size.

Have you used Handbrake to do x265, and have you found any quality difference vs x264 with handbrake? As the Shield does x265 easily, it makes good sense to have smaller files size if the quality is fine.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated April 18, 2016 - 3.1 Marshmallow) - Tinwarble - 2016-06-12

Yeah, I've recently been doing some H.256 encodes. The quality does seem to be slightly better, though by how much I can't really say and you do get a slightly smaller file than with H.264 (if you go for a quality encode).

I just ran Ant-Man through it and it went from 7.87GB for H.264 to 6.53GB for H.265 (both with DTSHD audio) with the same or better quality.

I'd also suggest using the nightly builds which have more presets and specific ones for doing H.265 encodes, and can encode with TrueHD pass-through, which is something that the official release (0.10.x) can't do.

No sound - fox123 - 2016-06-12

My 16GB Shield has been working great until recently. playing youtube or Kodi has no sound to my Denon Receiver nor tv speakers. I thought of resetting the Shield to factory but Netflix works fine. So this sound issue seems to be affecting specific app, not system wide.

anyone has this issue or know how to fix it?

Edit... never mind. Shield volume was set to zero.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated April 18, 2016 - 3.1 Marshmallow) - poo417 - 2016-06-17

Hi I currently have a matricom G box q. Its a great little box but it struggles to play HEVC files via kodi. I was wondering if the Shield would be upto the job of software decoding HEVC via kodi? I have looked through many reviews and its clear that it can (like the Q) hardware decode but cant see a mention of software.

Reading the reviews it looks like the cpu is plenty powerful enough but wanted to check first.

Many thanks

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated April 18, 2016 - 3.1 Marshmallow) - Tinwarble - 2016-06-17

(2016-06-17, 14:38)poo417 Wrote: Hi I currently have a matricom G box q. Its a great little box but it struggles to play HEVC files via kodi. I was wondering if the Shield would be upto the job of software decoding HEVC via kodi? I have looked through many reviews and its clear that it can (like the Q) hardware decode but cant see a mention of software.

Reading the reviews it looks like the cpu is plenty powerful enough but wanted to check first.

Many thanks

There's no need for the Shield to software decode since it's capable of hardware decoding. Specs are on the first post, H.265 = HEVC.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated April 18, 2016 - 3.1 Marshmallow) - poo417 - 2016-06-17

(2016-06-17, 14:56)Tinwarble Wrote: There's no need for the Shield to software decode since it's capable of hardware decoding. Specs are on the first post, H.265 = HEVC.

Many thanks for the reply. I know the box can hardware decode but I thought kodi its self was not able to use hardware decoding on devices and thus had to use software. Certainly when running on my gaming rig it uses the cpu and not the GFX cards that are able to hardware decode.

I may however be very confused. The Q can hardware decode if I use the appropriate software to playback but not via kodi. The sound starts and the video struggles to play.

Cheers

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated April 18, 2016 - 3.1 Marshmallow) - Tinwarble - 2016-06-17

(2016-06-17, 15:29)poo417 Wrote: I may however be very confused. The Q can hardware decode if I use the appropriate software to playback but not via kodi. The sound starts and the video struggles to play.

Cheers

Yep, Kodi uses hardware decoding for HEVC on the Shield.

(2016-06-17, 15:43)Tinwarble Wrote: Yep, Kodi uses hardware decoding for HEVC on the Shield.

Excellent! That's even better. Many thanks for the help and advice.

Heads off to order ?

Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated April 18, 2016 - 3.1 Marshmallow) - iMak - 2016-06-17

(2016-06-17, 16:47)poo417 Wrote:
(2016-06-17, 15:43)Tinwarble Wrote: Yep, Kodi uses hardware decoding for HEVC on the Shield.

Excellent! That's even better. Many thanks for the help and advice.

Heads off to order ?

Go ahead you won't regret it

Sent from my iPhone6s+

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated April 18, 2016 - 3.1 Marshmallow) - HannL - 2016-06-21

Hi!

I am using a 2.40:1 screen and a anamorphic lens for my projector.

I've downloaded Kodi from Google Store with my Nvidia Shield.

How can I do vertical stretch for video files with Kodi/Nvidia Shield in order to
be able to use my lens properly?

Thank you for any info!

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated April 18, 2016 - 3.1 Marshmallow) - Ned Scott - 2016-06-21

(2016-06-21, 01:39)HannL Wrote: Hi!

How can I do vertical stretch for video files with Kodi/Nvidia Shield in order to

Thank you for any info!

Try going to Settings -> Videos -> Accelleration -> and disable MediaCodec (surface)

Then go to Settings -> System -> Video output -> Calibration

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated April 18, 2016 - 3.1 Marshmallow) - HannL - 2016-06-21

(2016-06-21, 07:42)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2016-06-21, 01:39)HannL Wrote: Hi!

Thank you for any info!

Try going to Settings -> Videos -> Accelleration -> and disable MediaCodec (surface)

Then go to Settings -> System -> Video output -> Calibration

Thanks, with calibration I can change the height and width, but I have to experiment more,
to me it looked now like one would need to have the possibility to adjust those more.
I wish there was a ready-made setting for this.