Kodi Community Forum
Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update) (/showthread.php?tid=228158)

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - hifiaudio2 - 2015-07-09

Right now it is in its infancy (alpha release), but you can record with a "season pass" like interface, pause live TV (but not rewind it) and of course have rull rew/FF when playing back a recording.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - wrarmstrong - 2015-07-09

(2015-07-08, 22:21)hifiaudio2 Wrote: No hanging at all for me (on two different Shields). I use Emby for Kodi and the HDHR dvr app. Arctic Zephyr skin from beta repository.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm also using a MySQL database to store my video library data. Perhaps it is hanging when it is trying to update the database? Are you using a central MySQL database, or are you using a local database on the Shield?

**UPDATE** - I tried switching to a local database instead of using MySQL, but Kodi still hangs. My new suspicion is the DVBLink AddOn. I've disabled the DVBLink AddOn. Hopefully that turns out to be the cause for the hanging.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - hifiaudio2 - 2015-07-09

I am using Emby for Kodi... it takes care of all of that (and has the best web based metadata manager I have seen). Makes Kodi setup a snap!

Edit - oh sorry you meant where your files were actually stored. Mine are on a networked Windows 2012 Essentials server shared as SMB. But Emby does control how Kodi knows where they are.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - drhill - 2015-07-10

Noticed a Kodi specific issue having to do with my setup. I'm using HDMI-CEC to control the box and that works great mostly. I use the Keymap editor addon to map a few buttons to the context menu and the Kodi Main Screen. Unfortunately using the Android Home key in CEC is a bit difficult so I put a FLIRC in the box and the keymap to trigger it is ALT+ESC. Works great in every app I've tried except Kodi. Kodi ignores it. Which is annoying normally, but when my skin updates itself Kodi goes crazy and I can't use the quit button to exit out. Which means I have to reboot the box to do anything at that point. I don't have this issue on another Shield box using a Harmony which the built in Home key works fine so it must be something to do with FLIRC using ALT+ESC.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - hifiaudio2 - 2015-07-10

Which Harmony do you have? I am looking for a cheap remote to go with each Shield in my house that will give me full media controls over Kodi with minimal setup and hassle.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - wrarmstrong - 2015-07-10

(2015-07-10, 05:05)hifiaudio2 Wrote: Which Harmony do you have?

I know that you weren't asking me, but since I am also using a Harmony remote I'll give my 2 cents.

I've got a Harmony 900. It is an older model that you can't buy anymore, but it still works fine with the NVidia Android TV. Pretty much any Harmony remote should work fine, even the less expensive models.

The only minor issue that I have is that not all of the buttons work properly. For example, the Harmony can be programmed for the X/Y/A/B buttons on the controller, but they don't actually work. I've opened up a support case with NVidia. They say that they're working on a fix, but I haven't heard from them in a few weeks, so I'm not sure when it will actually be fixed.

That's ok though, because I only needed those buttons to bring up the context menu in Kodi, but someone posted a workaround for that. Now I use the Play button to bring up the context menu, and it works perfectly. Now I can completely control my NVidia Android TV with my Harmony remote and it works great.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - drhill - 2015-07-10

(2015-07-10, 05:05)hifiaudio2 Wrote: Which Harmony do you have? I am looking for a cheap remote to go with each Shield in my house that will give me full media controls over Kodi with minimal setup and hassle.

Harmony Smart Control. The number keys don't currently work though.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - hifiaudio2 - 2015-07-10

Ok cool, thanks. I have an old, old harmony 880 that I found in a drawer today after remembering it had been put away years ago. I connected it to the older software and selected a Kodi setting. Maybe it will work. Waiting for it to charge (if it will, they were notoriously crappy to charge) so I can try it out.

Is there a basic, cheap media center remote that works out of the box with most Kodi commands?

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - KeithLM - 2015-07-10

(2015-07-10, 16:30)hifiaudio2 Wrote: Ok cool, thanks. I have an old, old harmony 880 that I found in a drawer today after remembering it had been put away years ago. I connected it to the older software and selected a Kodi setting. Maybe it will work. Waiting for it to charge (if it will, they were notoriously crappy to charge) so I can try it out.

Is there a basic, cheap media center remote that works out of the box with most Kodi commands?

Yes and no. Many people use Windows Media Center remotes with Kodi on PCs and some other devices, however that involves using the IR receiver that comes with the remote as it's set to monitor for the appropriate IR signals. From what I can tell the Shield IR receiver doesn't detect the WMC remote commands. Rather Nvidia selected a set of IR functions that they respond to and provided those to Logitech to add to the Harmony support database.

I may not have all the details correct, but I attempted to use my WMC remote command set with Kodi on the Shield and it was ignored. Now it might be possible to add an USB IR receiver to the Shield and use a different remote with that. You might look back through this thread, as well as threads for other Android devices, and see if anyone has done that.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - Tinwarble - 2015-07-11

(2015-07-10, 16:30)hifiaudio2 Wrote: Ok cool, thanks. I have an old, old harmony 880 that I found in a drawer today after remembering it had been put away years ago. I connected it to the older software and selected a Kodi setting. Maybe it will work. Waiting for it to charge (if it will, they were notoriously crappy to charge) so I can try it out.

Yes, my 880 works fine with the Shield (never really had a charging problem, but you do need to keep the contacts clean). You may need to fix the delays though.

I still prefer my Harmony Smart Control Hub.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - JonSnow88 - 2015-07-11

I know you can use the shield to power on the TV/AVR etc but can you do it the other way around? I would like to use my TV remote to power on and shutdown everything as well as control the shield TV. Currently I turn on the TV which powers the AVR and Pi and off I go. All inputs are selected correctly on both the TV and AVR.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - hifiaudio2 - 2015-07-12

(2015-07-11, 10:17)Tinwarble Wrote:

Yes, my 880 works fine with the Shield (never really had a charging problem, but you do need to keep the contacts clean). You may need to fix the delays though.

I still prefer my Harmony Smart Control Hub.

I tried the 880 but the commands do nothing. I told it it was a media center PC in the software and then clicked on KODI. Or can I use the newest Harmony software with this old 880? Their website seemed to indicated I needed to use the old software, which I did.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - Hiphopopotamus - 2015-07-12

(2015-07-12, 00:27)hifiaudio2 Wrote: I tried the 880 but the commands do nothing. I told it it was a media center PC in the software and then clicked on KODI. Or can I use the newest Harmony software with this old 880? Their website seemed to indicated I needed to use the old software, which I did.

Set it up as an Nvidia Shield, not a media PC. Yes that profile exists in the older software too. It is as a Game Console, I have done it on both the newest and older software with my 650.

See here for the current list of commands - http://support-shield.nvidia.com/android-tv-user-guide/index.htm#_ga=1.48283300.301252876.1432223635&t=Universal_Remote_Setup.htm

See here for what I have done to get 7 more commands - http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=228158&pid=2026987#pid2026987

These are the buttons that are currently support by Logitech, they are waiting on an Nvidia firmware update to allow all button commands to be used by a Harmony.

Left
Right
Up
Down
OK / Select
Back
Home
Play
Pause
Stop
Volume
Mute / Unmute

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - Rew452 - 2015-07-13

I just updated from Kodi 15 rc1 to rc2 and am now getting video sync(frame rate) problems that I did not see on rc1.

It starts out fine and then gets progressively worse.

I uninstalled RC2 and reinstalled it but no improvement.

Only option I am using is HDMI sound pass-through.

I am using SD HomeRunDVR addon

Any ideas?

Thanks
Rew

Sodeloaded RC1 while not perfect, some judder but at least watchable RC2 gets worse as one watches it

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - hifiaudio2 - 2015-07-13

Is it possible to wake the Shield and or Kodi on Shield from lan? Once it is off / sleeping I cannot bring Kodi up with any of the remote apps. Tried Yatse and Kore.