Kodi Community Forum
Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Android Nvidia Shield Android TV (Updated Jan 26 2017 - 5.0 update) (/showthread.php?tid=228158)

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - datranquil - 2015-12-08

Hello Forum.

As I now got 25Hz working on my shield correctly I'm searching for a way to set the standard resolution to 1920x180x50Hz.
ATM I set 50Hz in the HDMI Configuration of the shield, but I would like to set it to 60Hz just for GameStream and GeforceNow. KODI should run on 50Hz standard and then switch, if necessary, to the media fps.
I think I have to modify the advancedsettings.xml once again, but could not find how to in the wiki.

Any hints?

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - Tinwarble - 2015-12-08

No, you can't have Android running at 60Hz and Kodi running at 50Hz.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - datranquil - 2015-12-08

So I have to switch manually every time? Sad....

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - Koying - 2015-12-08

What's the point of having Kodi run at 50Hz out of video?

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - Uukrul - 2015-12-08

(2015-12-08, 16:00)Tinwarble Wrote: No, you can't have Android running at 60Hz and Kodi running at 50Hz.

Actually, you "can" but it's a hit and miss. Remove

Code:
<setting id="videoscreen.resolution">
  <visible>false</visible>
</setting>

from system/settings/android.xml and recompile Kodi. Then you can select the 50 Hz resolution from System / Video Output / Resolution.

The problem is, most of the time, when you launch Kodi, the font appears garbled and unreadable and I guess that's the reason why it was removed.

Otherwise it works as intended: from 60, it changes to 50 and when you exit Kodi it changes back to 60.

Quote:What's the point of having Kodi run at 50Hz out of video?

Live TV. I know we can adjust the display refresh rate, but for those who use Live TV with slow displays (my projector needs 6 second to change the refresh rate) is a bless.

(2015-12-08, 16:37)Uukrul Wrote:
(2015-12-08, 16:00)Tinwarble Wrote: No, you can't have Android running at 60Hz and Kodi running at 50Hz.

Actually, you "can" but it's a hit and miss. Remove

So you can by modifying Kodi itself then recompiling. And then it causes issues if you do.

Think I'll stand by my first assessment, "you can't". Especially since it most definitely can't be done via the advancedsettings.xml, as was mentioned.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - Koying - 2015-12-08

(2015-12-08, 16:37)Uukrul Wrote: The problem is, most of the time, when you launch Kodi, the font appears garbled and unreadable and I guess that's the reason why it was removed.

No, actually. It was hidden at the time because it didn't make sense, as nothing could be changed.
I never thought about that use case Wink

(2015-12-08, 17:02)Koying Wrote:
(2015-12-08, 16:37)Uukrul Wrote: The problem is, most of the time, when you launch Kodi, the font appears garbled and unreadable and I guess that's the reason why it was removed.

No, actually. It was hidden at the time because it didn't make sense, as nothing could be changed.

Wouldn't it make more since, if possible, that for 25Hz video it would just switch to 50Hz.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - Biriem - 2015-12-08

(2015-12-08, 14:34)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2015-12-08, 13:16)Biriem Wrote: You are right, it works with the remote control, but unfortunetaly it is unpossible to zoom with the remote control.
ConfusedIt is crazy you need two controllers to use the zoom function properly.

Does the d-pad work?

Which D-Pad do you mean?

The D-Pad of the shield remote works and you can move the cursor with it and in zoom mode you can move the zoomed area up/down/left/right.

The D-Pad of the shield controller works also for zoomin (up), zoomout (down), previous picture (left) and next picture (right).

Only the left thumbstick of the shield controller has a problem.
It should have the same function like the D-Pad of the shield remote, but it doesn't.
But this problem occurs obviously only in zoom mode of pictures, in all other modes the left thumbstick works like expected.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - Juhler - 2015-12-08

Hi there

I am new to this forum :-)

I have used the Shield and Kodi for a few weeks now, and I am just playing around with it. But one question is is it possible to get Android TV to open and start Kodi when it boots up? I have tried XBMC Launcher and it works, but when ít is set as the default launcher,I cannot get back into Android TV menu. I know it is possible to access the settings through the Programs -> Android Apps through Kodi, but I would really like Kodi to start when the Shield is switched on (Note: It is powered down everytime and boots from scratch every time!).

Anyone with a good solution? :-)

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - wrxtasy - 2015-12-09

(2015-12-08, 16:23)Koying Wrote: What's the point of having Kodi run at 50Hz out of video?
I do this all the time, but not on the Shield. Run the Kodi GUI at 50Hz, so I do not have to refresh rate switch to watch 25/50Hz broadcast TV every time. Smile

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - Hiphopopotamus - 2015-12-09

(2015-12-08, 21:14)Juhler Wrote: . But one question is is it possible to get Android TV to open and start Kodi when it boots up? I have tried XBMC Launcher and it works, but when ít is set as the default launcher,I cannot get back into Android TV menu. I know it is possible to access the settings through the Programs -> Android Apps through Kodi, but I would really like Kodi to start when the Shield is switched on (Note: It is powered down everytime and boots from scratch every time!).

Are you saying that XBMC Launcher is not working on booting up?
If what you want is to be abel to access the Android TV home screen, then Tinwarble says there is a way "By installing the Super Favorites add-on for Kodi, then you'll have to add "com.google.android.leanbacklauncher" as a favorite." See here

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/892980/shield-android-tv/hi-jacked-kodi-home-screen/post/4717416/#4717416

I still haven't gotten around to trying it again. Might do later today.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - datranquil - 2015-12-09

(2015-12-08, 17:04)Tinwarble Wrote:
(2015-12-08, 17:02)Koying Wrote:

Wouldn't it make more since, if possible, that for 25Hz video it would just switch to 50Hz.

Unfortunately not. I tried this and experienced stuttering of 25Hz media on a 50Hz.

Kodi LiveTV is bound to fix 50Hz to be fluid. Media are adjusting the refreshrate just fine and this is now also working as it should in KODI.
The only problem I have:
Services like GameStream are fixed to run on a 60Hz screen outside of KODI, otherwise it stutters horribly.

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - Dark-Noir - 2015-12-09

Hey,

I post my problem again because I have no solution yet.

The 5.1 DD/AC3 sound works but no DTS in Kodi. But when i use the Stock Video Player (Gallery) then it works perfectly.

- Kodi 16.0 beta 3 Jarvis is installed
- I set Kodi Audio to 2.0.
- Pass-trough in Kodi is activated.
- Tested with various samples from here: http://www.demo-world.eu/2d-demo-trailers-hd/.

My Setup:

The Converter:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00NZYHKHO?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

I hope you can help me and i do appreciate any help!

RE: Nvidia Shield Android TV - datranquil - 2015-12-09

Under Audio Passthrough settings: Have you enabled the option, that your "receiver" (in your case, your converter) is able to handle DTS?
What happens when you try this?