Kodi Community Forum
Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV (/showthread.php?tid=229348)

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - jasmart - 2016-03-21

(2016-03-21, 11:54)down_under_dude Wrote: Thanks for the useful suggestions...: I think read in the manual that files on USB get down-mixed to 2 channels... so I did not pursue that (I had thought of it but abandoned the idea when I saw the comment in the user manual. Maybe I'll try anyway...)

Re your other thoughts:
1) Yes I am connected to the ARC-supported HDMI port - HDMI-4
2) Will try another cable... I have not used ARC before, so this is a possible cause
3) I have set TV Digital Audio Out to Auto-1... but I am not sure this applies to ARC ... I thought it was specifically for the optical out... could be wrong. I have tried all 3 settings anyway...

Another I had overnight... to eliminate all things Kodi, I thought I could sign up for Netflix, and see if streaming a movie might give me at least 5.1

I have also experimented with the gazillion audio options on the amp. I have been advised by a friend that these Yamaha receivers can be quite challenging to set up correctly.

Hopefully, after all that, we can get back to the Kodi on Android topic ;-) It does strike me that some folk here are happily achieving much more ambitious results (4K, 3D etc...) All I want is basic surround sound... and am pretty sure that the Playstore version of Kodi should deliver that! I don't particularly want to go down the custom side loading route - yet...
No, using the Sony Video app and USB you can play 4K files, 3D files, DTS, 5.1 etc, they all works perfectly tested myself.

Re. TV Digital Audio Out, It does state for Optical but again, tested myself this does effect output via ARC also. One of the Kodi builds gave me loud static on Auto1, switching to PCM cured it.

Stick with it, I can play 4K files, 3D files and 5.1 sound through Kodi. I actually use an add-on called PlexKodiConnect which, as the name suggest allows my Plex server and NAS to act as the host for all the files that Kodi plays.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - optico - 2016-03-22

I cannot see how your problem is similar to the Live TV issue you replied on.
Anyway, the DD and DTS are more or less working in Kodi 16 and you can also test with the PT (passtrough) version of Kodi 16. See previous post from Theetjuh.
[/quote]

Is similar from the point of view that it was working well with previous versions. I have tested all versions from 16 on, PT tests, 17 alpha, SPMC and, as said before, none after 15.2 gives me DD/DTS on my av receiver

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - down_under_dude - 2016-03-22

(2016-03-21, 21:19)jasmart Wrote:
(2016-03-21, 11:54)down_under_dude Wrote: Thanks for the useful suggestions...: I think read in the manual that files on USB get down-mixed to 2 channels... so I did not pursue that (I had thought of it but abandoned the idea when I saw the comment in the user manual. Maybe I'll try anyway...)

Re your other thoughts:
2) Will try another cable... I have not used ARC before, so this is a possible cause
3) I have set TV Digital Audio Out to Auto-1... but I am not sure this applies to ARC ... I thought it was specifically for the optical out... could be wrong. I have tried all 3 settings anyway...

Another I had overnight... to eliminate all things Kodi, I thought I could sign up for Netflix, and see if streaming a movie might give me at least 5.1

I have also experimented with the gazillion audio options on the amp. I have been advised by a friend that these Yamaha receivers can be quite challenging to set up correctly.

Hopefully, after all that, we can get back to the Kodi on Android topic ;-) It does strike me that some folk here are happily achieving much more ambitious results (4K, 3D etc...) All I want is basic surround sound... and am pretty sure that the Playstore version of Kodi should deliver that! I don't particularly want to go down the custom side loading route - yet...
No, using the Sony Video app and USB you can play 4K files, 3D files, DTS, 5.1 etc, they all works perfectly tested myself.

Re. TV Digital Audio Out, It does state for Optical but again, tested myself this does effect output via ARC also. One of the Kodi builds gave me loud static on Auto1, switching to PCM cured it.

Stick with it, I can play 4K files, 3D files and 5.1 sound through Kodi. I actually use an add-on called PlexKodiConnect which, as the name suggest allows my Plex server and NAS to act as the host for all the files that Kodi plays.

Thanks... so I tried the Dolby test file on USB via the Sony player...same result !@#
Well, at least I now know it's NOT a Kodi issue, so I'll stop talking about it on this forum ;-)
Thankyou for your encouragement to keep going ...

KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - schweppy - 2016-03-22

So I went ahead and bought an X85C. Not sure if this is listed anywhere but what settings should I be using.

Have downloaded the PT version of Jarvis so will test HD passthrough.

What about video settings? Does refresh rate switching work?

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - jasmart - 2016-03-22

(2016-03-22, 15:48)schweppy Wrote: So I went ahead and bought an X85C. Not sure if this is listed anywhere but what settings should I be using.

personally, I've found the standard version of Kodi 16.1 to give better performance. I tried both the PT and the SF (specifically for Android) branches and have returned to the standard. This is on an 8509C with ARC paasing through audio to a Sony AMP. 4K video, DTS and 5.1 audio works well

KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - schweppy - 2016-03-22

Ah good to know. Will try both. I just realised I will be using optical so won't be able to try HD audio anyway.

Not wishing to go off topic but can anyone tell me if Amazon prime video has an app for Sony android? I can't seem to find anywhere confirming.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - jasmart - 2016-03-22

(2016-03-22, 20:55)schweppy Wrote: Ah good to know. Will try both. I just realised I will be using optical so won't be able to try HD audio anyway.

Not wishing to go off topic but can anyone tell me if Amazon prime video has an app for Sony android? I can't seem to find anywhere confirming.
Yes, the app is pre-installed. But, no 5.1 audio only stereo! It's an app limitation. The Netflix app (also pre-installed) has 4K series on there, House of Cards, Daredevil etc. with 5.1 audio.

Great. Thanks for the info! Awaiting TV delivery Thursday!

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - clfnole - 2016-03-22

(2016-03-22, 20:37)jasmart Wrote:
(2016-03-22, 15:48)schweppy Wrote: So I went ahead and bought an X85C. Not sure if this is listed anywhere but what settings should I be using.

personally, I've found the standard version of Kodi 16.1 to give better performance. I tried both the PT and the SF (specifically for Android) branches and have returned to the standard. This is on an 8509C with ARC paasing through audio to a Sony AMP. 4K video, DTS and 5.1 audio works well

Is the 16.1 version the one in the Google Play Store? I have been reluctant to upgrade from Isengard 15.2 because I saw some were experiencing audio problems with Jarvis. Have you had any issues not getting Dolby 5.1?

(2016-03-22, 21:44)clfnole Wrote: Is the 16.1 version the one in the Google Play Store? I have been reluctant to upgrade from Isengard 15.2 because I saw some were experiencing audio problems with Jarvis. Have you had any issues not getting Dolby 5.1?
No, the one on the Play Store is version 16, I side loaded 16.1. However you'll find that 16 works just fine too.

I had a couple of audio issues that started a few revisions back, but resolved them. My issue was loud static when playing 5.1 tracks. The workaround was switch to a different app i.e. Netflix or Sony Video then on returning to Kodi the sound played as it should. I then found the fix which was change the advanced Sony Bravia sound setting from compressed to standard.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Gras1 - 2016-03-22

I have a KDL55W800c and everything worked fine until the Android/TV update. I great DTS + DD pass through for what I was watching. The screen was smooth and beautiful... Now I can't even play a TV episode and the picture looks grainy and zoomed. It jitters and stutters and buffers Oh MY!

I was going out of my mind trying to get it figured through different settings. The sole purpose of buying this TV was to have the media capability which is pretty much no longer. I'm going to try the creation of advancedsettings.xml and attempt the buffer adjustment to see what happens.

I really wish they would allow us to revert to a previous version since this is giving us issues.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - down_under_dude - 2016-03-23

(2016-03-22, 07:17)down_under_dude Wrote:
(2016-03-21, 21:19)jasmart Wrote:

Re your other thoughts:

Thanks... so I tried the Dolby test file on USB via the Sony player...same result !@#
Well, at least I now know it's NOT a Kodi issue, so I'll stop talking about it on this forum ;-)
Thankyou for your encouragement to keep going ...

The plot thickens...
Playing the Dolby test file from USB using the Sony Video player... I got surround sound - at last !! ... but only after replacing the HDMI cable (thanks for that tip)
However, playing the very same file either
  1. via Kodi - from the USB, or
  2. using Sony Video player, but using data file on my PC
*still* reverts to 3 channels (L,C,R) only. So I obviously had a couple of problems initially... but now Kodi is back in the mix, since a local file via Video player works - and Kodi doesn't... and remote files don't either. My head hurts...

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - jasmart - 2016-03-23

(2016-03-23, 04:55)down_under_dude Wrote: The plot thickens...
Playing the Dolby test file from USB using the Sony Video player... I got surround sound - at last !! ... but only after replacing the HDMI cable (thanks for that tip)
However, playing the very same file either
  1. via Kodi - from the USB, or
  2. using Sony Video player, but using data file on my PC
*still* reverts to 3 channels (L,C,R) only. So I obviously had a couple of problems initially... but now Kodi is back in the mix, since a local file via Video player works - and Kodi doesn't... and remote files don't either. My head hurts...

Well that's progress.

Stick with Kodi main version 16 from the Play Store for now for the next bit of troubleshooting. Using the Sony Video Player with files from your PC brings in DLNA server settings from the host. I have mixed success doing that playing files hosted on my PC or NAS, some play fine, some don't. Hence initially using USB on the Sony App as step 1.

Go through and test the following settings. It may be good if you have a couple of test files. Ideally one with just AC3 basic 5.1 sound.

Within Kodi > System - Settings > Audio Output (settings level expert) > Number of channels 5.1 > Passthrough enabled > Tick Dolby Digital and DTS
On the Sony Bravia, with the Kodi app running > Press "Action menu" Go to sounds/advanced setting/input related and put Dolby Dynamic range and/or HE-AAC dynamic range on STANDARD.
On the Sony Bravia > Android menu > Sound section > Digital Audio Out > Change to PCM (just for testing, you may be able to switch back to Auto 1 if all ok)

KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - schweppy - 2016-03-25

Well using the standard play store version of Kodi I've tested out a few 4K files streamed from a Mac mini and all fine with DTS via optical. Can't test HD audio though.

Does anyone know why sonys inbuilt video player stretches all my videos and won't allow me to change aspect ratio?

And another non related question. What on earth does the blue flashing light at the bottom of the screen mean? Lights up the led below the Sony logo the same colour too.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Theetjuh - 2016-03-25

(2016-03-25, 18:59)schweppy Wrote: Can't test HD audio though.
HD audio isn't capable over optical or ARC, so if you want HD audio, you need a dedicated device.