Kodi Community Forum
Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV (/showthread.php?tid=229348)

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Talguy - 2016-09-16

Ok guys, I've been noticing an issue on my Kodi 16.1 install on the Sony 43X830c TV which I have a Samsung HW-K550 soundbar hooked up to the TV via the HDMI ARC port. I've been noticing that for certain audio formats the audio becomes out of sync with the video as I do not have passthrough enabled. If Passthrough is enabled for the audio formats that are out of sync I don't even get audio out. I'm mostly seeing this issue with my DTS-HD MA audio. It usually works just find for my Dolby 5.1 aka AC3 but once I change up the file to one with DTS-HD MA it ends up screwing up all other formats when I play a different file that isn't DTS-HD MA, causing the audio to be out of sync with the video. I have it set up so that the TV is software decoding the audio. This issue seems to have been beomcing more apparent and more frequent where I can't us Kodi on my TV.

Now for all the questions:

Has anyone experienced this with this TV? How did you fix the issue? Is anyone testing Kodi 17 Kyrpton and does it solve the issue? Will I need to switch over to SPMC if it solves this issue?

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Jeffers24 - 2016-09-16

I have had this out of sync issue on a number of different boxes including my Sony TV.
It appears to be a known Kodi problem.
I got round it by setting my audio offset Ahead by 0.250 seconds and it works for me.
I use Kodi 16.1 and an optical link from my TV to my cinema system.
Not sure it's the fix you need, maybe worth a try.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - CiNcH - 2016-09-16

Same setting here... ahead by 250ms. However I have the same issue with the native "Video" app on the TV. That's why I switched to Kodi because of the audio offset adjustment possibility.

I do test Kodi Krypton and it is problematic with the Sony concerning Passthrough. Better stick to Jarvis or go with SPMC.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Jeffers24 - 2016-09-16

It works for me, but I haven't got into passthrough and I don't know what DTS is.

Maybe you could go back to basic audio with offset see how that works, then step forward one change at a time to where you want to be.

I have not changed anything but the offset in Kodi.

I am sure that the Sony must also have an audio offset, may be worth a look.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Razviar - 2016-09-18

After last update (beta version on Google play) paasthrough works fine both for ac3 and dts. E-ac3 works too (surprisingly). So sound problem with kodi 17 solved at last.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - fatalus - 2016-09-18

Strange, because now with the beta 2 I have DD, no DD+, and now DTS does not work, although it worked in the first beta.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - hirez - 2016-09-19

First time post, and hope I stay on for a long time.
Been using Kodi and all xbmc for many years. After having many different boxes left and right, I finally decided to test it out in the tv. I got both the 2015 and the 2016, but find a lot more activity in this thread, so hope its ok to proceed here.

To my problem, i have a synology NAS and have tried all kinds of settings and different files.

Most problems occur with stuttering and with 4K material. First i didnt know whether the TV had enough cpu power to manage playing these new formats. After putting a few files on USB, and playing through the icon "videos", which is i a google app i assume, i was actually able to play files like Sony_4K_HDR_Camp, and other samsung and LG samples which i was NOT able to play in kodi, as they stuttered. After some testing, its seems NFS is better than SMB for speed. But it was not enough.

So I thought, network is too slow, bought a new NAS, new HD. Now i was able to play several more of the files, but STILL not all large movies of 20 gb +.

Damn, i thought, i am not going to mess around with usb sticks etc, i want all in Kodi, with the library etc.

So all of a sudden, i thought fine, i will try the upnp mode, and copied a few files to the standard "video" folder in Synology.
To my suprise, several videos played smooth now, even some really large ones!! How can this be any different from SMB mode or NFS? I am suprised and I cant explain it.

Does someone know why this is? Whats the best setup with Synology or any NAS for speed?
Hope we can share and i can gladly test files for you guys, as i think this is an awesome piece of software!

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - hirez - 2016-09-19

PS.
Files that still dont seem to play smoothly
jellyfish-120-mbps-4k-uhd-hevc-10bit and upwards.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Crill - 2016-09-19

(2016-09-19, 02:36)hirez Wrote: First time post, and hope I stay on for a long time.
Been using Kodi and all xbmc for many years. After having many different boxes left and right, I finally decided to test it out in the tv. I got both the 2015 and the 2016, but find a lot more activity in this thread, so hope its ok to proceed here.

To my problem, i have a synology NAS and have tried all kinds of settings and different files.

Most problems occur with stuttering and with 4K material. First i didnt know whether the TV had enough cpu power to manage playing these new formats. After putting a few files on USB, and playing through the icon "videos", which is i a google app i assume, i was actually able to play files like Sony_4K_HDR_Camp, and other samsung and LG samples which i was NOT able to play in kodi, as they stuttered. After some testing, its seems NFS is better than SMB for speed. But it was not enough.

So I thought, network is too slow, bought a new NAS, new HD. Now i was able to play several more of the files, but STILL not all large movies of 20 gb +.

Damn, i thought, i am not going to mess around with usb sticks etc, i want all in Kodi, with the library etc.

So all of a sudden, i thought fine, i will try the upnp mode, and copied a few files to the standard "video" folder in Synology.
To my suprise, several videos played smooth now, even some really large ones!! How can this be any different from SMB mode or NFS? I am suprised and I cant explain it.

Does someone know why this is? Whats the best setup with Synology or any NAS for speed?
Hope we can share and i can gladly test files for you guys, as i think this is an awesome piece of software!

I know with the 2015 model the camp fire video wont play over a network due to the bit-rate, the NIC on the TV is only 100mb, which seems a massive oiversight and i think this is the case on the 2016 models. no amount of new equipment on the network will resolve this im afraid. The campfire video is the only native 4k file i have so im not sure if this is the same with other 4k content but id assume it is.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Hannes The Hun - 2016-09-19

massive 4k bitrate and the 100Mbit LAN (or 802.11n) in the Bravias don't mix up well. additionally different network protocols have different implementations and varying CPU/bandwidth overhead. and to further complicate the situation, the integrated Video Player app (which is Mediatek/Sony, not a Google app) - apart from the various persistent and annoying bugs - has a better optimization for the decoder hardware and probably uses up less resources than SPMC/Kodi.

you see, the issues are manifold. basically, due to the weak SoC that Sony decided to implement for their Android TVs and the crappy OS implementation, there is just no hope for SPMC/Kodi for smooth playback of extremely high bitrate files over network, at least for the 2015 models. I read somewhere that the 2016 models feature 802.11ac so maybe there's hope for these when using wireless connection but I don't have confirmation on this.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - CiNcH - 2016-09-19

Quote:I read somewhere that the 2016 models feature 802.11ac so maybe there's hope for these when using wireless connection but I don't have confirmation on this.
However, the MediaTek WiFi chipset is connected via USB 2.0 (for whatever reason you would do that). I don't know how much data you get over this in real life though. Probably also limited by the slow SoC. Does it work over an USB 2.0 HDD?

Sony Android TVs are just a total hack...

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Hannes The Hun - 2016-09-19

Sony Android TV owners are like...

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - fritsch - 2016-09-19

We at kodi don't support making fun of animals. Please be polite to such creatures.

RE: KODI on Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Talguy - 2016-09-19

(2016-09-16, 16:02)CiNcH Wrote: Same setting here... ahead by 250ms. However I have the same issue with the native "Video" app on the TV. That's why I switched to Kodi because of the audio offset adjustment possibility.

I do test Kodi Krypton and it is problematic with the Sony concerning Passthrough. Better stick to Jarvis or go with SPMC.

(2016-09-16, 16:10)Jeffers24 Wrote: It works for me, but I haven't got into passthrough and I don't know what DTS is.

Maybe you could go back to basic audio with offset see how that works, then step forward one change at a time to where you want to be.

I have not changed anything but the offset in Kodi.

I am sure that the Sony must also have an audio offset, may be worth a look.

Ok guys, I tried the audio offset and it didn't work. I'm used the setting with DC's Batman: The Killing Joke. It actually started to cause my video to stutter. My biggest guess is that this TV doesn't have the horsepower to decode a high bitrate audio format and transcode it into another audio format like LPCM.

I think I forgot this in the last post but I have my system's audio settings set up for 3.1 sound as the sound bar is a 3.1 system that supports 5.1 AC3 and stereo DTS. Maybe that has something to do with it

(2016-09-19, 10:14)Hannes The Hun Wrote: massive 4k bitrate and the 100Mbit LAN (or 802.11n) in the Bravias don't mix up well. additionally different network protocols have different implementations and varying CPU/bandwidth overhead. and to further complicate the situation, the integrated Video Player app (which is Mediatek/Sony, not a Google app) - apart from the various persistent and annoying bugs - has a better optimization for the decoder hardware and probably uses up less resources than SPMC/Kodi.

you see, the issues are manifold. basically, due to the weak SoC that Sony decided to implement for their Android TVs and the crappy OS implementation, there is just no hope for SPMC/Kodi for smooth playback of extremely high bitrate files over network, at least for the 2015 models. I read somewhere that the 2016 models feature 802.11ac so maybe there's hope for these when using wireless connection but I don't have confirmation on this.

Yes, thats exactly what I felt, there are Layers of problems here, and i am trying to tackle one at a time to figure something out.

I have the 2016, and i will test over Wifi instead, and see what kind of difference this makes.

If its only a 100mbit nic this is awful, this alone is sure to cause problems.