Kodi Community Forum
Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV (/showthread.php?tid=229348)

RE: Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - noggin - 2018-02-23

150Mbs HEVC (I'm assuming you are using 4:2:0 and HEVC?) is overkill for consumer playback devices.  

If you want to play this content back, export a more consumer-friendly version from your editing software (Prem Pro, FCP, Avid MC, Resolve etc.) If you are running 2160/23.976p then unless your material is incredibly demanding, I doubt you need go much over 50Mbs.  That material should play fine on a lot of ARM platforms running Kodi.  If you are running at 2160/50p or 2160/59.94p then maybe a bit higher - but I'd still have a look and see how many artefacts you see.  (If your material isn't that demanding you can probably reduce the bitrate lower, as playback GOP-lengths can be longer than acquisition GOP-lengths if you are shooting in a non-Intra format)

Personally I'm not doing much editing in 2160p yet, but I master my 1080i HD stuff in ProRes HQ 4:2:2 at around 200Mbs, and that's the format I keep my masters in, but for playback on Kodi devices I export an x264 encoded dual-pass H.264 version at ~30Mbs. (For some platforms I'll also use an ffmpeg Weston 3-field de-interlace to avoid the player having to de-interlace). I think it's important to separate mastering formats with playback formats.  I wouldn't expect Kodi to play ProRes HQ 4:2:2 content on an ARM device, but the convenience of playback (and cost) on ARM means exporting an ARM Kodi-friendly version makes sense (and is a simple workflow)

RE: Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - FoxADRIANO - 2018-02-23

Speaking of consumer playback devices , can you explain something please?
Today I have bought MX Player Pro and I have just watched all my files with it. MX Player Pro is reading very fine all my files unhesitating manner. Then I wanted  to watch them with Kodi again but after 10 seconds I turned the television off because it was impossbile to watch them.  Are you still saying it's a hardware problem?

RE: Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - whoopn - 2018-02-23

(2018-02-23, 11:03)FoxADRIANO Wrote: I'm sorry for my thought but it seems all you answer to another question and not mine. Someone replied me it is a hardware problem and they don't explain because all other software read prfectly my files. I use always the same TV. Other people are telling me Kodi works fine with PC. I use TV. Even a a gold sta member is telling me it is not a Kodi problem. I tell all you: it is a Kodi problem. It is the worse software I have used still now but it has a very good interface. All that is incredible but true. I am on a Kodi forum and all you are afraid here to tell the real problems of Kodi. All of you are like fans of a football team.  Wink

It’s NOT a bloody Kodi problem it’s a bloody TV problem. Your TV SUCKS. Android TVs are some of the worst TVs ever. We’re telling you how to have a good time, not alter physics to make your TV less of a PoS. Kodi doesn’t have access to the same codecs and hardware decoders that the built in app for movies does and that built in player SUCKS, it supports nothing but straight .mp4 files and .mkv files as long as they don’t have any high fidelity audio streams in them.

We’re telling you a freaking app is not going to fix your hardware deficiency.

If you still don’t quite understand I suggest you hook a Mac up to your TV and use a mouse.

RE: Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - noggin - 2018-02-23

(2018-02-23, 16:21)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Speaking of consumer playback devices , can you explain something please?
Today I have bought MX Player Pro and I have just watched all my files with it. MX Player Pro is reading very fine all my files unhesitating manner. Then I wanted  to watch them with Kodi again but after 10 seconds I turned the television off because it was impossbile to watch them.  Are you still saying it's a hardware problem?
 No - but MX Player Pro has access to stuff that Kodi doesn't because MX Player Pro doesn't have to stay Open Source and abide by things like the GPL.  MX Player effectively sign NDAs to be given access to hardware features that Kodi can't sign (and Kodi also doesn't do bespoke playback systems for specific hardware and uses standard Android functionality)

However I re-iterate - why on earth are you playing 150Mbs HEVC on your TV?  There is no need to export edited content at that bitrate for consumer viewing.

RE: Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - whoopn - 2018-02-23

(2018-02-23, 16:21)FoxADRIANO Wrote: Speaking of consumer playback devices , can you explain something please?

Alright we’ll if that’s good for you then case closed. Good for mx player. Use that.

(2018-02-23, 18:24)whoopn Wrote: If you still don’t quite understand I suggest you hook a Mac up to your TV and use a mouse.
I'm sorry but I think you don't understand. Why do I have to spend a lot of money? If I use MX player Pro I don't have any problem.

RE: Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - cwh060 - 2018-02-23

Ha, I love this forum. People are so passionate!

Yes the Sony television is hardware premature for sure. Sony installs Android, well sort of, and everyone expects it to do miracles. It has so many limitations. Netflix Ultra works great, Amazon Ultra, not so well (I dropped it).

In any case, Kodi (SPMC for me) is a wonderful interface installed on my Bravia, it's a great library for keeping track of everything and viewing Fanart and content info.  I have no problem playing back my files through SPMC (unless they are UHD from my NAS). If you want a good hybrid solution, read about how to invoke other players from within Kodi including MX Player Pro. External_players (wiki) .

cwh

Out of curiosity: Now I use MX Player Pro that reads well the files I'm editing in UHD with high bitrate. I use a Sony TV 46". This software is asking me to configure the "color format" and I have 3 options: RGB 16bit, RGB 32bit and YUV. What should I choose? Thanks

RE: Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - nickr - 2018-02-24

Again, you are not asking a kodi question. Get your support from the people you paid for mx player

RE: Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - FoxADRIANO - 2018-02-24

thanks for your precious news.

RE: Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - nickr - 2018-02-24

I am not quite sure what you mean by that, but if you start getting rude you'll be taking a holiday from this forum.

RE: Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - FoxADRIANO - 2018-02-26

ahaha, now Kodi works perfectly with all my files. Would you like to know what was my problem? I deleted the cache of Kodi and it made the miracle. Anyway I thank you for your help.

RE: Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - ydothdot - 2018-03-31

Hello everyone... There was a recent software update to my Sony tv and ever since then all my add ons, including YouTube, disappeared and I can't seem to re download anything... Install from repositories isn't even an option and I keep getting the message "dependency on version could not be satisfied" anytime i try to install something, no matter what it is. Kodi was working fine but ever since the Sony update i haven't been able to watch anything. If anyone has any idea how i may fix this, i would greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks

RE: Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - FXB78 - 2018-03-31

(2018-03-31, 22:43)ydothdot Wrote: I keep getting the message "dependency on version could not be satisfied" anytime i try to install something, no matter what it is.
Which addons in particular? I can't imagine you would get this installing anything from the official Kodi repo.

RE: Sony Bravia Smart TVs (2015) based on Android TV - mazey - 2018-04-05

well good news.. today i upgraded my sony bravia 2015 to android 7. and the zoom problem for 4:3 to 16:9 in kodi stretch left and right but not up and down is fixed... without turning surface off.. Smile yay

@Koying just letting you know too. sony finally fixed it...