Kodi Community Forum
Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV (/showthread.php?tid=257713)

Pages: 1 2 3

Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - stefaang - 2016-01-25

In this thread I'll track the Android Kodi Audio PT status for Philips Android TV.
The goal is to get your 5.1 channel audio out of the TV.

The TV has only HDMI inputs, no HDMI outputs. This is different to most Kodi media players which do have an HDMI output.
The digital audio outputs are optical SPDIF and HDMI ARC.
The bandwidth over SPDIF is limited, which means that several HD codecs cannot be used in PT mode.
The hardware supports AC3 (DD), EAC3 (DD+) and DTS core bitstream.
The TV audio middleware requires android apps to use the correct AudioFormat settings.

Android 5.1 only supports AC3 and EAC3 in the API... so that is why DTS doesn't work yet.
Android M API (6.0) has support for DTS too. Unfortunately this update is not available yet.

You should put "Digital Out Format" in your TV Sound Settings to Multichannel, otherwise the TV decodes to stereo downmix.

Models:
2015: 49PUK7100 and higher.
2016: 55PUS8601 - 65PUS8601 - 65PUS8901 - xxPUS6501 - ...

Kodi Isengard v15.2
No passthrough supported.

Kodi Jarvis v16 (PT build by Koying)
Supported:
AC3, EAC3
TODO: check SPMC again, I didn't get any AC3 PT last time I tried.

Kodi Krypton v17 beta 3 (fixes by fritsch)
Coming to the Play Store soon.
Supported:
AC3, EAC3 for most common bitrates except for 640 kbps
When you get chopped audio, cold reboot the TV.

Not supported in Android 5.1 - API lvl 22:
DTS, DTSHD (core pt)
Do not enable DTS passthrough in your System - Audio settings. The static noise could damage your speakers.
Wait for the Android M firmware update ...

Other formats, like passthrough of TrueHD will never be supported. The TV can't decode it.
Also not working: transcoding to AC3.

Thanks devs for the support!

TL;DR
AC3/EAC3 passthrough is supported, but not in the current standard Play Store version of Kodi.
The highest bitrate, 640 kbps, is currently not supported.

DTS passthrough support should be part of the Android M update.
For now, use the builtin mediaplayer to play DTS.

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - Koying - 2016-01-26

Philips is still API 21 (or 22), right?
If so, DTS is not part of that API, only from 23 on (Marshmallow). So it's quite normal that it's not working in non-iec mode.

My build falls back to iec for those, though, but whether it works totally depends on the firmware handling iec PT for dts.

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - stefaang - 2016-01-26

Indeed, they are using API lvl 22 at the moment.
Is there any use in adding the constants ENCODING_DTS and ENCODING_DTSHD to the lvl 22 API?
Or is the only solution an "IEC detector" in the firmware?

I'll check DTS on an Android M build.

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - Koying - 2016-01-26

(2016-01-26, 15:51)stefaang Wrote: Is there any use in adding the constants ENCODING_DTS and ENCODING_DTSHD to the lvl 22 API?

Not sure what you mean. Adding where?
Just adding the constants in the Android sources won't produce much unless the full firmware follows (i.e. backport the DTS part from API 23, which Nvidia did with the Shield for their < 23 firmware).

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - stefaang - 2016-01-26

Yeah there is a DTS hw decoder available so it should be quite straight forward and similar to AC3.

I just found the relevant part in https://github.com/koying/xbmc/blob/master/xbmc/android/jni/AudioFormat.cpp
For API lvl > 21, you test if ENCODING_DTS is supported by the platform. That looks all good.

Let's see if we can get platform support for this param.

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - diodorus - 2016-07-18

Hello I have a (2016 model) 43PUS6551, connected to a Samsung HT-C5500 via SPDIF, but I am unable to get any 5.1 audio via PT: i just get no sound if i enable PT, or stereo if i disable that.

Any idea please?

Thanks!
diodorus

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - stefaang - 2016-08-23

PT doesn't work in the Play Store version of Kodi.
It should work when Kodi 17 is released.
Or try to sideload the APK in the OP.

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - raverke95 - 2016-11-12

Tested yesterday the PT function with a HiMedia Android box. It has also Android 5.1 and Kodi 16.1 on it.

Connected my receiver on the same way to the mediabox as my 55pus8601 normally is.
Enable PT et voila, DD and DTS without problems.

Strange...

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - Etzi - 2016-11-12

Well, we have working solution for Android TV as well, thanks to Fritsch..

See this thread:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=290439

As Philips is still on android 5.1, it works by transcoding DTS to AC3 and due to Chipset limitations, bitrate is reduced.
MediaTek chipset used in Sony and Philips Android TV`s just does not handle 640Kbit/s AC3 produced by default.

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - Vlaves - 2016-11-12

Does someone know if the Philips 2016 Android TV is accepting refresh rate changing from Android Apps or they are locked to whatever the Android TV system is set to?

Further I would also want to ask if the TVs do proper deinterlacing in hardware within the android Apps?

I know those TVs have awsome videoprocessing on the TV portion of the System, but still I fear that is an seperate part of the system and that the Android part is not able to utilize all that video processing, like the hardware scalers and so on...

Hope someone can comment on that. I know that might be offtopic, but couldn't find another thread with Philips ATV users, so hope you don't mind and can help out with the information here Smile

Regards
Vlaves

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - Etzi - 2016-11-13

Well changing Refresh Rate seems to work on mine (55PUS6561)...
Not sure about deinteralcing, don't have any content which needs to be deinterlaced.

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - Vlaves - 2016-11-13

(2016-11-13, 09:27)Etzi Wrote: Well changing Refresh Rate seems to work on mine (55PUS6561)...
Not sure about deinteralcing, don't have any content which needs to be deinterlaced.

Thanks for the reply Smile Glad to hear that refresh rate switching is working while playing in Kodi Wink

Maybe someone of the devs here nows about the deinterlacing?

Thanks again for the great support here Smile

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - CiNcH - 2016-11-14

Quote:DTS passthrough support should be part of the Android M update.
Not necessarily. API and application layer support is not enough. The MediaTek driver still has to implement support which it seems to lack on Marshmallow based Sony Android TV, featuring the same chipset as Philips. The respective ENCODING_DTS capability does not seem to be set even though the connected AVR supports it.

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - Koying - 2016-11-14

Marshmallow + Sony TV? Did I miss something?
Marshmallow = API 23. AFAIK Sony TV's are still API 22 (Lollipop MR1)

RE: Audio Passthrough on Philips Android TV - CiNcH - 2016-11-14

Sony TV models (XD75, XD80, XD83, ZD9) after July 2016 have Marshmallow. An update to Marshmallow for 2015 and spring 2016 models is not yet available.