Kodi Community Forum
XBMC Linux port questions and answers... - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (http://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Kodi General Help and Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux and Live support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC Linux port questions and answers... (/showthread.php?tid=26097)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

- El Piranna - 2007-05-25 10:35

pike Wrote:1. there is no script support in linux port yet, it's currently worked on
Oh, f*ck... all this work to nothing... Sad

pike Wrote:2. you need 24bpp display or better for XBMC window to open.
Ok, i'll try later with 24bpp/no 3d accel to see if it work (i think i would need both...)

pike Wrote:tslayer is right, we don't take any bugreports yet, and for the love of god, use pastebin or rafb.net for pastes
Don't doubt it, i promise i'll do it the next time. Only for the ugle way to cut the logs it's a good enought reason to do it (oh, and thanks for the url, it could be useful to me later... Tongue )

- hexland - 2007-05-25 22:01

This is probably a retarded question, and I'll get flamed like hell for asking... but here goes... (apologies if it's already been asked in the preceeding 13 pages)...

I ask, only because I stumbled across this thread while looking for a nice simple frontend for a new HTPC I'm building (I've tried various others and the all suck, and I love my XBMC)...

Why are you guys doing all this work to port to linux?

Last XBMC build I downloaded had a fully functional (apart from video playback) XBMC.EXE for Windows (for skin development). Everything worked smoothly (audio, skinning, animation, mouse, etc) - albeit missing the all important music and video playback portions...

However - wouldn't it be a whole hell of a lot simpler to modify the existing win32/DX build to use mplayer than it is to re-do all this work for a linux branch?

I'm just curious what your collective thoughts were when you made the decision to go with Linux.

Smile

- Jezz_X - 2007-05-25 22:44

hexland Wrote:This is probably a retarded question, and I'll get flamed like hell for asking... but here goes... (apologies if it's already been asked in the preceeding 13 pages)...

I ask, only because I stumbled across this thread while looking for a nice simple frontend for a new HTPC I'm building (I've tried various others and the all suck, and I love my XBMC)...

Why are you guys doing all this work to port to linux?

Last XBMC build I downloaded had a fully functional (apart from video playback) XBMC.EXE for Windows (for skin development). Everything worked smoothly (audio, skinning, animation, mouse, etc) - albeit missing the all important music and video playback portions...

However - wouldn't it be a whole hell of a lot simpler to modify the existing win32/DX build to use mplayer than it is to re-do all this work for a linux branch?

I'm just curious what your collective thoughts were when you made the decision to go with Linux.

Smile

Because the guy doing most of the programming wants too (simple as that) and dosn't as excited about doing win32
Thats how things get done when you don't get paid someone has to want to do it.
And no compatent dev has come forward with a rock solid plan/commitment to get it running in win32 proper

Also on a side note how many game consols and othe hardware do you hear get hacked to run windows XP ? my guess is none yet they all run linux in some bread

- El Piranna - 2007-05-26 01:43

Well, i've tried to launch it with 24bpp (so no 3d accel and using libMesa instead of) and it runs in a very pretty fancy way: the PM3 home window reload constantly drawing the diferent sections triangles Tongue It's usable (it responds to keyboard action), but... well... nothing more Tongue Maybe with a very little stupid skin (as "big letters" one) it would be able to be used, so now you know that it runs (in a special way ;-) ) without 3d accel Big Grin

And, well, a little sugestion... what about addapt linux port to be able to run on 16 or less colors too? Yes, i know that it's my problem to have a bastard graphic card (i found the computer droped on the street, remember? Wink ) and all new low end computers would be able to run it without problem, but maybe it would be useful that XBMC would be able to run at low end, old fashioned computers...

- jmarshall - 2007-05-26 01:51

Run it in SDL only (make sdl_2d) is your only choice really.

- jonb2 - 2007-05-26 06:45

Looking forward to this I like XBMC better then every other media center / player on any platform. And once this has progressed several months it should be a great upgrade to the xbox.

3 things I'm interested in ( down the road ) this are:

1 being able to setup it up as the default gui forget kde or gnome I want to boot straight to XBMC.

2 A video capture feature, take like 1 single capture device from ati that is already well supported in linux and support that for recording. So down the road this would be a complete and totally better replacement to the tivo style dvr's.

3 Support to burn to DVD's as both Standard DVD videos and data DVD's using lets say the Xvid and/or maybe X.264 format.

Now before you start flaming, understand what I am talking about. The the drivers handle the hardware XBMC does not so I'm not talking about writing a dvd burning package, I'm talking about scripting the command line controls for doing it into the XBMC interface.

So for example lets says 18 months down the road you have a dual core 2Ghz system with a GB of ram a Terabyte HD, DL DVD burner an AMD(ati) capture card. You schedule it to record the Sopranos while you watch Hero's on a DVD and later on you can save (burn to dvd) the sopranos to a disk.

Complicated as hell? Yes. Could I do it ? No. But don't think XBMC has to do it either, because it does not, it just has to tell other pre-existing applications to do it in the background. Which is something it already does on the Xbox every time you play a video. So again before you start flaming think future, it wasn't that long ago some people here were raising hell if someone mentioned porting XBMC to linux.

PS. If gets ported to win32 could it be done in a way that it replaced explorer.exe as the ui rather then run on top of it ?

- mace - 2007-05-26 10:41

To reply to the last question: Yes
Windows reads a registry value and launches that file as your shell. A simple change of that key will have the desired effect

- El Piranna - 2007-05-26 15:06

jmarshall Wrote:Run it in SDL only (make sdl_2d) is your only choice really.

Interesting... now that i've erased all the files... Smile Ok, i'll go to examns now and i'll try later on July (python support for then? Tongue ). I think this sort of things would be useful to have on a page of the wiki, isn't it? I'll do later.

P.D.: interesting the point of to use XBMC as a gui shell on Linux or windows, but if you want to launch another one thing, how do you handle the windows? You need a little window manager, as FluxBox or similar that are used with FreeVo and MythTV as frontends: you use them, but when you launch another thing the window manager pop-up.

P.D.2: how do you handle .xbe on Linux, using a XBox executable patch for Wine or using CXBE? Rofl Rolleyes

- pike - 2007-05-26 18:25

El Piranna Wrote:P.D.2: how do you handle .xbe on Linux, using a XBox executable patch for Wine or using CXBE? Rofl Rolleyes

EHConfused?

Question: Why would we bother with .xbe's on linux ?
Answer: we would not

- El Piranna - 2007-05-26 18:35

pike Wrote:EHConfused?

Question: Why would we bother with .xbe's on linux ?
Answer: we would not

Big Grin It was a joke, what it would be able to go to "bizarre proyect" section too, isn't it? Now almost all computers are more powerful that original XBox, so in some time XBMC4Linux would be able to have an XBox emulator to run XBox games, isn't it? Yes, don't bother about it now (at this moments is almost imposible to do it, and more with CXBE project frozen) but maybe in one or five years when XBMC4Linux would be stable, computers are more powerful and our little black beast start to fail and get broken it would be a very good "XBox Phoenix Project"...Rolleyes

- stickman - 2007-05-26 22:27

stickman Wrote:I just built the latest SVN with no problems and deployed the executable in the latest T3CH build directory, but there is no xbmc windows created at all.

I can't find any relevant info on the logfile on what the problem could be.
Maybe someone could help with that.

By the way. I'm on Feisty, gfx is GMA950 and direct rendering is working.

Well, I finally solved my problems after what you said about 24bpp X. I had no idea it was a requirement since no mention was made in the README.
Now, at last it does and It'll help a lot of people for sure.

- stickman - 2007-05-26 22:34

jonb2 Wrote:2 A video capture feature, take like 1 single capture device from ati that is already well supported in linux and support that for recording. So down the road this would be a complete and totally better replacement to the tivo style dvr's.

That's too much work to be done twice.

There is already a working project on linux that provides what you are requesting, and it's called mythtv.

The problem would just be to build a fully working frontend on xbmc, and it can be done thanks to some folks who are working on gmyth, which quoting their webpage:
Quote:GMyth is a set of libraries to access MythTV backend services. To build a Mythtv frontend, or client, three different piece of software are needed: The first one is to connect to the backend and retrieve its data like EPG, schedules, records, etc. The second part is the media support for Mythtv video/audio formats (nuv files), and the third part is the application UI.

- jonb2 - 2007-05-27 02:04

Forget the rest I want the best XBMC+TVR

- pike - 2007-05-27 13:48

here's what's working so far (that I've confirmed):
GUI
SMB
viewing of pictures; jpg and ?
music playback; mp3, wav, ogg, flac

- El Piranna - 2007-05-27 13:53

pike Wrote:here's what's working so far (that I've confirmed):
GUI
SMB
viewing of pictures; jpg and ?
music playback; mp3, wav, ogg, flac

A little (stupid) question: it works using the XBMC code or it works linking the native installed libs and daemons (smbd, libJpeg, gstreamer...)? Confused