Kodi Community Forum
Different thumbnails for different views (banners vs. posters), support using both? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Different thumbnails for different views (banners vs. posters), support using both? (/showthread.php?tid=28691)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

- migueld - 2009-11-01

1+++++++++++++++++

Make it like this though:

tvshow-banner.jpg
tvshow-poster.jpg
tvshow-fanart.jpg

- Jezz_X - 2009-11-01

been discussed to death on the forums before.
Short answer is when the thumbnail code gets rebuilt better it will be looked into until then your out of luck

Poster and Banner View for TV shows - option to scrape both banners AND posters? - Takie - 2010-01-24

Hi there

As you probably know it is possible to scrape for banners or posters for tv shows. But as far as I know it is not possible to scrape for both. What than happens is that when your skin and viewtype requires the other format the images will look all stretched out because of the wrong aspect ratio. Like this:

To fix this a few things have to be changed (I think):

- External and internal scrapers: Able to download both poster and banner views
- Skins: Able to request whether they need poster or banner images
- XBMC: Able to handle the requests from the skins and pass along the right format.

My apologies if this was poster before, I did search for it but without any luck.

Thanks

Download and cache both wide banners and posters for each and every TV Show? - sp10 - 2010-02-06

Is it possible to have both wide banners and posters recognised by XBMC at the same time. Say folder-wide.jpg and folder-poster.jpg so you could switch between different views or skins that supported either type you would have the alternate wide or poster image there ready?

- GreyHound - 2010-02-06

I don't know much about the interials about the logic yet but i think some condition like:

Code:
if(w > h)  
    doBannerView();
else
    doPosterView();

should be a way to do this.

Oh:
Well, this is "of course" depending by the skin in use,
my idea was more towards the problem that posters are often sqeezed into banner size even if it should (somehow) be obvious that a banner would be the way to go.

- sp10 - 2010-02-07

Yes I agree that the problem is that wide banner/posters are resized to fit the alternative container looking pretty awful. If images for both formats were available ahead of switching then you could switch views or skins and always have a well presented library.

- mots - 2010-02-08

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=60641 :<

- sp10 - 2010-02-08

Disappointing, yet there is hope. Have been using XBMC (and XBMP before it) for years and the evolution of this program is astounding so who knows maybe it will happen?

Posters and Banners switch? - MarkTaunton - 2010-12-03

I have just started a thread in http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=86691

regarding using different skins or indeed views.

Some skins suit posters better than banners and vice versa.

Some skins have both excellent poster and banner views.

Is there any way that such a thing could be implemented in XBMC that a poster and a banner image can be used in one skin.

So if you switch to poster view it shows the poster, switch to banner view and then it displays the banner rather than the poster.

When new skins come out, having to rescrape all of the media to get that perfect view takes a long time, and if you have multiple users, this ends up having a knock on effect on the other graphics.

Apologies if double posting but didn't really know who would be the best people to ask.

Regards

Mark

- jmarshall - 2010-12-03

Not yet. In the future, yes, XBMC will simply download both and display whichever is appropriate (skinners choice). This basically coincides with the video library revamp which is going to take some time yet.

A patch to implement this would be welcome short-term.

Cheers,
Jonathan

- MarkTaunton - 2010-12-03

Sounds good, obviously it is only the TV shows that have banners, but when you have more and more shows can become a nightmare.

Thanks for your reply.

Regards

Mark

- Sranshaft - 2010-12-03

Also, as a quick workaround, some skins like Alaska will utilise banner.jpg and landscape.jpg found in the show's folder.

- MarkTaunton - 2010-12-04

Cheers, I shall have a look at that and see what skins work. At the moment it is slowly getting harder and harder to choose between skins.

I have most skins installed so I'll go through each skin and list the ones that do this just incase someone else feels the same as me.

Regards

Mark

- MarkTaunton - 2010-12-04

Sranshaft Wrote:Also, as a quick workaround, some skins like Alaska will utilise banner.jpg and landscape.jpg found in the show's folder.

Nope just tried it with Alaska and Alaska revisted mod, using rc2, had the graphics in the folder aptly named but was no joy.

- mcborzu - 2010-12-04

They way guys do it is so:

You set XBMC to use Posters as default
Then you either download yourself, or run the Logo script to download*, and save Landscape thumbs as landscape.jpg and Banner images as banner.jpg
Then theres some type of skin setting to check which one to use

Of top of my head Night, The Carmichael, Alaska Revisted, Shade, Aeon65 support this way of doing thumbs

*check logo script thread for further explanation