Kodi Community Forum
DVD-A (DVD-Audio) playback in XBMC? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: DVD-A (DVD-Audio) playback in XBMC? (/showthread.php?tid=2904)

Pages: 1 2

- jkaero - 2004-04-19

would it be possible to make xbmc read and decode it?
or even xbox for that matter?

- thebeast - 2004-04-23

i might have the option of borrowing some dvd audios for testing on my own box, should the need arise.

- modal - 2004-09-28

hi, title says it all really.
does it play dvd-audio discs.
i'd like to know before i go out and buy a couple that i've got my eyes on.

(i don't mean audio from a dvd disc btw, i mean actual dvd-audio format 5.1 etc).

thanks...

- Gamester17 - 2004-10-25

no, (link to feature request on sourceforge.net rfe tracker, xbmc doesn't yet support playback of the dvd-a (dvd-audio) format.
ps! suggest you submit this suggestion/request to the mplayer-devs & let them implement it first into mplayer, read why here (link).

- Warlord2k - 2004-11-11

howdy.. i wonder if the x-box ever will support dvd audio (see dvda faq for more info about dvd audio)

i still haven't found a dvd player that support dvda in my country yet, so i hope this x-box with the executer 3 chip can play it with a little nice proggie.. hope u guy's got a nice sollution or will add it.

- pike - 2004-11-11

i can say without hesitation that xbmc will not support dvd-a in the forseeable future.

the only programs that support it, are programs that have licensced the technology.

remember css ? you say but css has been cracked a long time ago...

cppm (the system dvd-a uses) took 3 years to develop, and they learned from their mistakes bigtime.
everyone who got explained to themself what cppm is, understand it's a completely different beast.
and until the day it gets cracked, no opensource apps whatsoever will be able to playback dvd-a

trust me, and do a little googling if you dont believe me

- Gamester17 - 2004-11-12

@pike, i actually heard that some dvd-a discs 'only' use verance watermark; sdmi (secure digital music initiative), which been cracked(?)

- pike - 2004-11-12

@gamester

those texts are dated 2001/2002 and have had no impact whatsoever on dvd-a support in opensource apps that -i- know of atleast

- Gamester17 - 2004-11-12

jon lech johansen (aka 'dvd-jon', the guy who officialy cracked css) released a new sdmi crack (link) recently but his link is now dead Sad
however (as always), google to the rescue => jon+lech+sdmi search (link), and sdmi crack dvd-a search (link), ...never say never :p

- walterb1 - 2005-06-29

will this be supported in xbmc?

- pike - 2005-06-29

nope

- Dolfhin - 2005-07-02

(pike @ june 29 2005,22:34 Wrote:nope
so how does the crack changes the situation? if it understands it correctly it just is some progness not a crack for the entire format, am i right?

- pike - 2005-07-02

the crack ?

- Gamester17 - 2005-07-04

the sdmi crack/hack has nothing directly to do with xbmc not being able to play dvd-a, it is only indirectly related as it would later be needed to play protected discs.
to even play unprotected dvd-a xbmc would first have to be able to demux and decode the lpcm codec then re-sample from 44.1khz to 48khz and encode to ac3.

please read this (link), it explains that you need to request it from ffmpeg or mplayer developers.

- HeresJohnny - 2011-03-04

Sorry again for resurrecting an old thread, but this seems to be the most appropriate one to do a follow-up. XBMC is one of the most versatile systems I know and one of the few features that it's missing is DVD-Audio support from ISO. Since both ISO support for DVD-Video and MLP decoding are already present, this shouldn't be too hard now (then again, I'm not a programmer).

I've updated the tracker ticket with some info, maybe someone might be interested in tackling it? http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/926#comment:7