Kodi Community Forum
[XBOX] T3CH Upgrader (Python Script) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: [XBOX] T3CH Upgrader (Python Script) (/showthread.php?tid=29329)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

- BigBellyBilly - 2008-01-29

Is the extract process thats called from a python builtin the same as that from filemanager ?

It would help the devs if a replicatable failure pattern could be identified.

For example: Does the extract work more often is using the Local RAR Installation option , as opposed to extract after downloading ?

- pepsi_max2k - 2008-01-29

>>The installation path (eg E:\apps\) is where it will download rar to then unpack.
>> eg. E:\apps\XBMC_2008-01-27
>> It wont overwrite your current istallation.
>> All this is outlined in the included readme.txt

sorry, haven't got any readme's as xboxscripts is down, all the links in this thread have expired and my installer script came bundled with xbmc :p

if it doesn't overwrite the old build, presumably the old build stays where it is then? and any further updates will do the same? so eventually you'd end up with a zillion versions of xbmc stored on your drive? erm... surely that can't be right?

latest T3CH build, has latest script. Readme is included in the relevant language sub folder. use the settings menu to view it.

T3CH builds held HERE

Old builds: Then you would use the menu option 'Delete old T3CH builds' ... Keeping at least one other as a fallback.

- CmKeen - 2008-01-29

I don't know if the process is the same between the built-in or the filemanager. I'm really of no help here.

But, for a reproductive pattern, it's really easy.
1. I start my xbox that launch directly on xbmc.
2. I launch the T3CH_UPGRADER script.
3.a. It download the new release
3.b. I select an 'old' RAR file previously downloaded via the script
4. It start extracting (max 1 sec)
5. The script says extracting finished.

I'm not launching anything else, not listenning to any music or so. I really go straight to the script and it fails each and every time.

>> I don't think many people would be happy with a script that overwrote their current
>> build, much safer to have a new installation and switch to it

maybe a choice to remove old build after new one is up and running? or a constant switch back n forth so first install goes to, say , E:/apps/XBMC_1, next time you update to E:/apps/XBMC_2, third time installs back in E:/appes/XBMC_1 and then keeps switching between the two?

ahhh sorry, i'll go look for menu options now then :p thanks for the tips.

ok hopefully some not quite as brainless questions now Rolleyes

after installing to E:/apps and verifying it works, would it then be safe to remove the contents of E:/Dashboard (but keep default.xbe there)? And would it also be safe to use krayzie's extras to install another default dash (either xbmc or other) which would install it back to E:/Dashboard and i guess overwrite whatever shortcuts it needs to?

- Bootsy - 2008-01-29

i just want to say something about the extraction bug...

i update via the script since bbb released it on svn...so i updated many times with the script.
i NEVER had a prob so far. i updated via the script on an other xbox...like 2 to 4 times...no problem so far.

just to have a few positiv posts about extracting in here Wink

what i heard is, if you´re on an older xbmc build, like oct 07, the extraction works much better. but i havent checked it...

have a nice day and thx for the great script bbb Big Grin

greetz,
bootsy

- CmKeen - 2008-01-29

No offence here.

I still think this script is great and was really one of the things that were missing from xbmc.
No, almost anyone could upgrade his xbmc regulary without any issues.

I've already told BBB how great his script was and helpt a little at the debugging/upgrading of it.

It is because it is so awsome that I'm so sad to not be able to run it.

no offence was taken at all, can't improve scripts without good and bad reports.
The extract is its Achilles Heel , for some people, at the moment.

I didn't know about the Oct 07 xbmc being more reliable with extract, that in itself might be worth pointing out to a dev in the extraction thread I started (bugs forum) ?

- blittan - 2008-01-30

BBB: there is a unrar python module you might want to look into, include that with the script and make it fall back using that if the built in extraction fails.

- Nuka1195 - 2008-01-30

i'm pretty sure it's a memory issue, i don't think it will help.

I get successful extraction in 720p (39mb free), but fails everytime in 1080i (29mb free)

but test it Smile

- BigBellyBilly - 2008-01-30

it doesnt fail when run under xbmc_pc, loads of mem available of course.

pyUnRaR being the referred lib, but compiled only for windows. http://www.averdevelopment.com/python/UnRAR.html

I too run under 720p which hardly ever fails, what rez are people using who get a lot of failures (CmKeen - that would be you)

This doesnt help, but it is one solution; If T3CH were to be compressed with zip then I could use Pythons builtin ZipFile module ...

- CmKeen - 2008-01-30

I have a 4:3 TV Screen so no HD resolution so I think it's not a mem issue but who knows ...

I don't know how to show the mem usage but I'm sure I can find it in the online manual.
I will try this at home after work.

- Nuka1195 - 2008-01-30

just go into sys info before you run the script