Kodi Community Forum
problem with Wi-Fi - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: problem with Wi-Fi (/showthread.php?tid=299100)

Pages: 1 2

problem with Wi-Fi - redkoatz - 2016-12-05

I have a problem which is causing me some major distress.

The built in Wi-Fi adaptor is very slow and hd movies constantly buffer, so I bought a very fast Wi-Fi adaptor.
When I first plugged it in, the signal was maximum, the bar appeared to be full. Now for some reason, a few months later the bar only appears to be a little higher than the built in adaptor wlan0.
I noticed this because several aggravating problems have been occurring which led me to check the signal.

Because sometimes wlan0 has a stronger signal than wlan1 the Wi-Fi connection switches to wlan0
When this happens, the time appears wrong , even though the country and time zone is correct, the time reports about 7 hours ahead , why?

And now because the Wi-Fi adaptor has switched , YouTube seems to automatically sign out
I have YouTube configured to use api keys, which was a solution to the YouTube exceeded daily limit problem.
This means whenever the Wi-Fi adaptor switches, I have to once again create new api and with keys in Google, then once again sign in, which means deleting the YouTube add on data , then entering the key from kodi into Google , twice
( deleting the YouTube add on data file was the only way to make " sign in appear" don't ask me why )

I tried changing wlan0 from auto to manual, I tried deleting it, but still it returns and is connected? How is that possible if I didn't enter the Wi-Fi key ?

Whether the solution involves 1. fixing the new Wi-Fi adaptor so the signal is once again maximum, or 2. disabling completely wlan0 forever , or 3. correcting. YouTube and the time so the former doesn't have the bugs explained above and the latter isn't incorrect I don't care.

This is my father's raspberry pi, I myself cannot stand Wi-Fi , and don't tolerate them in pcs Xbox or anything that isn't necessary ( not portable) exactly because if these kind of issues.
And why would raspberry pi have a built in adaptor if it performs so poorly ? Anyone who watches. High def video is going to get a decent adaptor anyway. Shouldn't that have remained an optional extra ? At the very least, you should be able to disable it, like Bluetooth.

Sorry for my rant , but for some reason my father always complains when computer things won't work and its all I hear about ! I just wish he would get Ethernet

RE: problem with Wi-Fi - bry - 2016-12-05

invest in powerline adapters and you should be okay.

RE: problem with Wi-Fi - donbrew - 2016-12-06

Why not turn the builtin on off?
The builtin adapter is G. What is the router set to, what security is it set to? What other wireless devices are using it? Sounds like somebody diddled with the settings, G should work fine.

I have never seen a wireless router that did not have ethernet ports.

If you really want to know why the RPi has G instead of N, go to the RPi website it is all explained, way to technical for me to try. Basically because the adapter interface can't be faster.

The websites you are trying to access probably use your IP address for identification, you probably have your IP set to dynamic.

RE: problem with Wi-Fi - popcornmix - 2016-12-06

(2016-12-06, 04:24)donbrew Wrote: Why not turn the builtin on off?
Yes, dtoverlay=sdhost in config.txt will disable the onboard wifi on Pi3.

Quote:The builtin adapter is G. What is the router set to, what security is it set to? What other wireless devices are using it? Sounds like somebody diddled with the settings, G should work fine.
802.11g is not sufficient for HD video streaming (unless very low bitrate)

Quote:If you really want to know why the RPi has G instead of N, go to the RPi website it is all explained, way to technical for me to try. Basically because the adapter interface can't be faster.
Onboard Pi3 wifi supports 802.11g and 802.11n.

About 30Mbit/s is achievable from Pi3 onboard wifi, but it is very much dependent on distance to router, number of other wifi networks active (e.g. from neighbours) and number of obstructions.
A metal case will obviously harm performance. Try to ensure the wifi antenna (corner of board where power connects) doesn't have obstructions in path to router. e.g. you don't want TV and other equipment blocking the path.

But if wifi used to work better and gets worse, it usually means neighbours have started transmitting on the same wifi channel. You may improve things by moving channel, but generally wifi is not suitable for guaranteed reliable video streaming. First choice is an ethernet cable. Second choice is powerline.
Wifi may be adequate when distances are short and number of interfering neighbours is low, but it's never guaranteed.

RE: problem with Wi-Fi - trogggy - 2016-12-06

(2016-12-05, 22:10)redkoatz Wrote: When I first plugged it in, the signal was maximum, the bar appeared to be full. Now for some reason, a few months later the bar only appears to be a little higher than the built in adaptor wlan0.
I noticed this because several aggravating problems have been occurring which led me to check the signal.
If it did work well and now it doesn't it's possible another wifi using the same (or close) channel has popped up in the meantime.
Easy to check on a phone, there are plenty of apps that will scan for nearby networks / channels.

My 802.11 G wireless streams HD just fine on my Pi 1B; it looks exactly the same as ethernet, YMMV.

Use WPA/WPA2 with TKIP, you probably took the router out of the box and plugged it in; that probably left WEP turned on.

On some N systems; if you connect a G device all of the connections will degrade to G.

RE: problem with Wi-Fi - black_eagle - 2016-12-06

(2016-12-06, 17:55)donbrew Wrote: My 802.11 G wireless streams HD just fine on my Pi 1B; it looks exactly the same as ethernet, YMMV.

Use WPA/WPA2 with TKIP, you probably took the router out of the box and plugged it in; that probably left WEP turned on.

On some N systems; if you connect a G device all of the connections will degrade to G.

TKIP is not secure, I'd recommend WPA2-PSK/AES for security, and turning off WPS if your router supports it.

(2016-12-06, 18:20)black_eagle Wrote:
(2016-12-06, 17:55)donbrew Wrote: My 802.11 G wireless streams HD just fine on my Pi 1B; it looks exactly the same as ethernet, YMMV.

TKIP is not secure, I'd recommend WPA2-PSK/AES for security, and turning off WPS if your router supports it.

You are correct! That's what I meant to type. Plus it speeds it up considerably.

RE: problem with Wi-Fi - redkoatz - 2016-12-09

WPA2-PSK (AES. Security

How to disable onboard? Where does that command go?

Wps is enabled for my Wi-Fi extender ,, do you think disabling that will work ? I supposed the Wi-Fi extender won't work?

I can change the channel,of the router , or leave it on auto

Did you mean scan for network devices, or look,at connected. Devices on the router ? Didn't quite understand

RE: problem with Wi-Fi - redkoatz - 2016-12-14

https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/how-to-get-local-console-while-kodi-is-runnig/6311

Still can't figure out how to use the console/ how to Disable onboard Wi-Fi. Have no idea what " ssh into console means " why should I know ? If there's no, instructions coming with kodi etc ?

I

RE: problem with Wi-Fi - Av3nged - 2016-12-14

(2016-12-14, 23:15)redkoatz Wrote: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/how-to-get-local-console-while-kodi-is-runnig/6311

Still can't figure out how to use the console/ how to Disable onboard Wi-Fi. Have no idea what " ssh into console means " why should I know ? If there's no, instructions coming with kodi etc ?

I
ssh is not a kodi thing. to use it i suggest THIS

RE: problem with Wi-Fi - redkoatz - 2016-12-14

(2016-12-14, 23:34)Av3nged Wrote:
(2016-12-14, 23:15)redkoatz Wrote: https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/how-to-get-local-console-while-kodi-is-runnig/6311

I
ssh is not a kodi thing. to use it i suggest THIS

I only use android and raspbian

RE: problem with Wi-Fi - Av3nged - 2016-12-14

(2016-12-14, 23:40)redkoatz Wrote: I only use android and raspbian
is kodi running on your install of raspbian? if so open up a terminal and change config.txt from there no need for ssh. if not then you can use that os to ssh into the pi running kodi and turn off the wlan0.

RE: problem with Wi-Fi - redkoatz - 2016-12-15

(2016-12-06, 18:20)black_eagle Wrote:

Turning off wps and attempting to connect my netgear ext2700 Wi-Fi extender was death absolute death.
I tried adding it via mac code in user access control, which worked just fine for my mobile but not for this extender.

Don't listen to this advice anyone with range extenders or game consoles

RE: problem with Wi-Fi - redkoatz - 2016-12-15

(2016-12-14, 23:57)Av3nged Wrote:
(2016-12-14, 23:40)redkoatz Wrote: I only use android and raspbian
is kodi running on your install of raspbian? if so open up a terminal and change config.txt from there no need for ssh. if not then you can use that os to ssh into the pi running kodi and turn off the wlan0.

Both kodi and raspbian are on the same raspberry pi, android is on my phone