Kodi Community Forum
Porting XBMC to Mac OS X (Leopard) - Developers only! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: Porting XBMC to Mac OS X (Leopard) - Developers only! (/showthread.php?tid=30074)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

- yuvalt - 2007-12-13

elan Wrote:The nice thing about it is that it is portable across a bunch of systems, and it's easy to just play a fixed piece of audio (like a skin sound).

However, Portaudio is very portable too, and would probably serve well, although it would need higher level code to playFile(...), etc. If the lower level Linux stuff had used it instead of ALSA, the port to OS X would have been trivial, and it's even portable to Windows, so it might be a good common layer. I used Portaudio extensively in a former job, and it's a solid bit of code.

I'd love to see a common audio library used for both Linux and OSX. Just make sure that this library can play both on the analog device (2ch) and on the digital device (2ch pcm and passthrough for Dolby Digital/DTS).

-Yuval

- Gamester17 - 2007-12-14

yuvalt Wrote:I'd love to see a common audio library used for both Linux and OSX.
...and Windows (Win32)? Huh

- yuvalt - 2007-12-14

Gamester17 Wrote:...and Windows (Win32)? Huh

Yeah.

More progress - elan - 2007-12-14

Got TLS stuff working better, networking, photo browsing, and now I'm stuck on an annoying problem where DVDDemuxFFmpeg is having trouble talking to libavformat...strange stuff.

- yuvalt - 2007-12-14

Excellent progress!

- MDPauley - 2007-12-14

Would these changes also allow XBMC to compile under Tiger?

- griffore - 2007-12-14

awesome work! keep it up! Smile

btw, when is the linux branch moving into the main trunk?

- SandmanCL - 2007-12-14

elan -- this is looking promising ! Thanks for working on this. I have an old G4 PowerBook through work (hopefully I'll get upgraded to a MacBook Pro after Christmas) that has been a faithful travel companion for years. Running XBMC on a plane will make traveling seem more like being at home Smile

- elan - 2007-12-14

MPauley73 Wrote:Would these changes also allow XBMC to compile under Tiger?

In theory, yes. In practice, I've been focusing on Leopard. I'm sure once I merge to svn, other people can complete the work (if any) for Tiger.

- yuvalt - 2007-12-14

griffore Wrote:awesome work! keep it up! Smile

btw, when is the linux branch moving into the main trunk?

There's no plan in the horizon to merge it back. Not sure it's worth the effort as a lot of changes have occured in the linux branch. Vulkanr merges very often so no change that's in the main trunk is missing in the linux branch.

-Yuval

A bit more progress - elan - 2007-12-15

I finally got DVDDemuxFFmpeg working, although all the MMX/SSE stuff is turned off because of an ld regression in Leopard. Hence video thumbs now show up, which is kind of cool. Performance is EXCELLENT.

Browsing for photos, videos, and music seems to work well, so now I'm working on get the playing to work. Playing photos and videos should work, but it crashes right at the start, there's something basic wrong but I'm not sure what it is yet.

I'm also having a really hard time building MACDll.so (for paplayer), as I'm not sure what sources were used, and the ones I found don't match up with the calling code.

- nikothebouriko - 2007-12-16

hi

I hope you post the complet command line/add lib for compiling testing ^^

macmini coreduo gma950
macbookpro ati x1600

thx

- elan - 2007-12-16

nikothebouriko Wrote:hi

I hope you post the complet command line/add lib for compiling testing ^^

macmini coreduo gma950
macbookpro ati x1600

thx

Once I get basic functionality complete to my satisfaction (and to the satisfaction of the other team members), I'll prepare some sort of release, as well as commit back to the trunk.

It'll be a while, though, there are definitely still big issues to resolve.

PAplayer with PortAudio now works - elan - 2007-12-17

I got PortAudio integrated, and build a PAplayer for it, and now I can play music just fine, even with cross-fading, works perfectly. No visualizations yet, although supposedly the OpenGL spectrum should work.

- B4tm4n - 2007-12-17

I've been away from the xbmc scene for awhile, since moving to a mac from a pc, but having read this thread I'm looking forward to running xbmc on my macbook.

I really impressed with work you guys do in your free time, so people like me who can't program for toffee can use this wonderful app.

Cheers.