Kodi Community Forum
[PATCH] Rendering SSA/ASS subtitles via libass - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: [PATCH] Rendering SSA/ASS subtitles via libass (/showthread.php?tid=32634)

[PATCH] Rendering SSA/ASS subtitles via libass - Rudd - 2008-04-15

I've decided to try my hand at adding libass support to dvdplayer for my gsoc qualification task. I posted the patch here:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1943420&group_id=87054&atid=581840

Some notes:

tested against revision 12670 of linuxport
libass requires the fontconfig library

The files created are:
DVDSubtitleParserSSA.cpp - Handles parsing the .ass/ssa file
DVDOverlaySSA .cpp - overlay containing libass structures

Files modified are:
DVDOverlayRenderer.cpp - added a function to handle rendering SSA overlays
DVDFactorySubtitle.cpp - to detect the ass/ssa file

Included in the file is a compiled version of libass as well as a test ssa file with some karaoke/positioning effects.

I'm not used to working with large MakeFile projects, so please feel free to call me an idiot and tell me what i did wrong Big Grin

- spiff - 2008-04-16

cool as.

now, i'm too tired to actually think so let's just do the sillies.

http://dureks.dyndns.org:8080/libass.patch.comments

tip; open your diff in a decent editor (like vim or emacs or whatever) and set the tabsize to something != 2 - makes them very easy to spot.

you need to update the browsable sub extension list in CGUIDialogAudioAndSubtitleSettings.cpp - and possible CUtil::CacheSubtitles (not sure if .ass is in there)

will look at the actual code later unless somebody beats me to it - first impression it looks good

- elupus - 2008-04-16

sweet:
will look at the code later but... do you think you could create an aas decoder in the same fashion as vobsubs...... ah forget it. i need to combine those two things somehow as otherwise we'll have to maintain two paths depending on if the aas subs are internal in mkv or as en external file.

* just forget my ramblings *

- elupus - 2008-04-16

one note. ditch the now pts in the overlay structure, make that a parameter to the render function instead.

- bmfrosty - 2008-04-17

I know I'm a bit off topic here, but please excuse me while I dance.

- topfs2 - 2008-04-18

I've tried this patch and it works for me.

- Rudd - 2008-04-18

Spiff: Sorry about not getting back to you about the nits/problems earlier, I've had 2 tests in as many days. I'll try and fix the nits and have another patch for you to look over tonight.

- elupus - 2008-04-21

Quote:+bool CDVDSubtitleParserSSA::Open(CDVDStreamInfo &hints)
+{
+ //Converting to C String for libass's convenience
+ int length = m_strFileName.length();
+ char fileName[length + 1];
+ m_strFileName.copy(fileName, length, 0);
+ fileName[length] = '\0';
+
+
+ CLog::Log(LOGINFO, "SSA Parser: Creating ass_track from SSA file: %s", fileName);
+ ass_track = ass_read_file(ass_library, fileName, 0);

ass_track = ass_read_file(ass_library, (char*)m_strFileName.c_str(), 0);

Also the current code leaks memory. There is nothing freeing the libass structures is there? One simple solution could be to add a ref counted wrapper around the libass pointers, which destroys it when done (christ I want the new shared_ptr of new c++ standards). should probably also have a criticalsection which is locked when used.

- elupus - 2008-04-21

Quote:+CDVDSubtitleParserSSA::CDVDSubtitleParserSSA(CDVDSubtitleStream* pStream, const string& strFile)
+ : CDVDSubtitleParser(pStream, strFile)
+{
+ //Setting a Default Font
+ string strFont = "Arial.ttf";
+ string strPath = "";
+ CLog::Log(LOGINFO, "SSA Parser: Creating ASS library structure");
+ ass_library = ass_library_init();
+
+ CLog::Log(LOGINFO, "SSA Parser: Initializing ASS library font settings");
+ if (!XFILE::CFile::Exists(strPath))
+ {
+ strPath = _P("Q:\\media\\Fonts\\");
+ ass_set_fonts_dir(ass_library, strPath.c_str());
+ strPath += strFont;
+ #ifdef _LINUX
+ strPath = PTH_IC(strPath);
+ #endif
+ }

How can strPath be anything but empty at the call of exists?

- elupus - 2008-04-21

The whole parsefile function seems useless (and with it the entire inputstream)? Doesn't the libass structure contain all the timing info you need?

- Rudd - 2008-04-21

As for the first point: thanks Smile that didn't occur to me, haha.

The second point: I am actually not completey sure. there are some calls to ass_library_done and ass_track_done that i've since added that I forgot in the patch, but I do not know if it correctly frees all of its pointers.

Regardng the exists call: D'oh! i'll fix that.

The parsefile function: You are actually correct, the ass_track contains all necessary timing info, however I wasn't sure how to make it play nicely with how subtitles are currently done. The reason I still parse the file is to make Overlay objects with current times so. Is there another way you might reccomend?

Thanks for the comments!