Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] GPU assisted video decoding in XBMC for Windows via a custom DXVA renderer? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS] GPU assisted video decoding in XBMC for Windows via a custom DXVA renderer? (/showthread.php?tid=33323)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- miljbee - 2009-06-02

BrokenCodes Wrote:History solved... Now I go back to work.

I am sure you will successfully solve the few problems you are facing.

Thanks in advance for this great job and good luck !

- Livin - 2009-06-03

BrokenCodes Wrote:@dmidi and others who need meds, and in support of the mods and devs who call bullshattle...

I started an account here around 1 month ago. Brokenbrainedphil... and since lost the password... I am the same guy. I'm known in my circles as "TheBroken" and no, not that Kevin Rose fellow.

I've been an embedded developer since forever ago, making some unsavory files for some foreign folk to make their wares easier to sell to US importers. My history is one of proving the impossible possible, including placing a full emulation of a smartcard in a Set Top Box with less computational power than the original smartcard itself, and having it work flawlessly (So flawlessly that the owners of that smartcard's innards have seen fit to sue me.)

Now with nothing but time on my hands, I have decided to involve my time in the improvement of software I've been using since 2003.

History solved... Now I go back to work.

Interesting history... I know many people that have benefited from those set top boxes you speak of... me, no way but a little card that does the same thing - maybe Wink

anyway... if you get GPU decoding working you'll be the guy that put XBMC on every Windows machine in the world! OK maybe not, but it will definitely get it on MANY more than there would be without GPU decoding.

We happy to await a positive result! Nod

- HexusOdy - 2009-06-05

Hows it going BrokenCodes? Any progress?

- waldo22 - 2009-06-08

BrokenCodes,

Did your card show up on the 5th?

We're all excited to hear about your progress.

What methods were you using to test HW acceleration before your card arrived?

This is all very interesting and cool. Please keep us updated...

-Wes

- BrokenCodes - 2009-06-08

I have a intel G45 based lappy, and was playing with DXVA there.
I also have an ATI Radeon HD 45XX system that I play with...
My employer has recently asked me to take on some daunting tasks, and has chipped in for a C2Q system, and it includes a Nvidia 9500GT. I have not stopped.

Yes, the card arrived.
I keep looking for the button on the IDE that says "Write code for me" but alas there isn't one, so these things take time, and the learning curve is awesome.
Main thing now is finding a way to allow for all of the above to work, and a fallback, if the requirements for DXVA are not met (by the system, or by the video)
Thankfully there is alot of test materials in the mplayer samples.

I will keep you apprised...

- ashlar - 2009-06-08

Not fully understanding the coding behind this proposed solution, my simple (and hopefully flawed logic) is sending me warning messages regarding audio-video synch stuff. All the work done by bobo1on1 for Smoothvideo could be seriously compromised, couldn't it?

Please, tell me I'm wrong. Smile

- BrokenCodes - 2009-06-08

I'm simply offering another render method, no more, no less, the devs here can do with that as they see fit...

- ashlar - 2009-06-08

So it would be something appearing under the Renderer choice? And it would be... let's say you call it DirectX. When you choose DirectX XBMC is gonna render stuff according to the standard merit settings for DirectShow?

Is that how it's gonna work?

- Livin - 2009-06-11

BrokenCodes,
A professional developer friend (does it for a living, codes for MS at time too) in the gaming industry told me DX11 (coming natively in Win7) had some enhancements that make it easier to code. Not sure if it will help in this situation but I'm hoping it would.

- BrokenCodes - 2009-06-11

Problem is, if you target DX11, it will not function in earlier OS's.
Vista will work when they release DX11 for Vista, but Windows XP users (80%, my assumption) of Windows users will be left without use of your application.

Also, only Premium users of vista will be able to use the DX11 updates for Vista as is my understanding...

- ashlar - 2009-06-11

BC, would you be so kind as to better describe how the end result will be, as per my previous question?

Many thanks in advance. Smile

- waldo22 - 2009-06-11

BrokenCodes,

This may be an ignorant question, but have you considered messing around with JMarshall's original Windows "port", which was a DirectX 8 binary?

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=23235

According to him, it was not meant as a full port, but it functioned by simply replacing the xbox .xbe executable with his Windows DirectX .exe.

It is still in SVN, but it's not been maintained, but the code to render the GUI all works.

Gamester17 mentioned it earlier in this very thread:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=340175&postcount=86

If you could somehow update his GUI renderer to be compatable with SVN, then you could add your own DirectX Video renderer and not worry about SDL or OpenGL at all.

Is that helpful at all?

- Livin - 2009-06-11

BrokenCodes Wrote:Problem is, if you target DX11, it will not function in earlier OS's.
Vista will work when they release DX11 for Vista, but Windows XP users (80%, my assumption) of Windows users will be left without use of your application.

Also, only Premium users of vista will be able to use the DX11 updates for Vista as is my understanding...

I understand but if someone wants to be able to utilize the latest/greatest I say let them update to Win7/Vista.

If they don't want to they can still keep the regular CPU rendering.

People always want "everything" and that is unrealistic... life has trade-offs. For those that want GPU rendering we will install Win7 and likely be spending $ on a new super quiet system anyway. I will be.

Ans, if you get the at128 working with the new stream at the same time, even better... I'll buy you an Atom system Wink

- miljbee - 2009-06-11

I agree, CrossPlatform compatibility has its limits.

VDPAU is only available for Linux, but XBMC still run flawessly in Windows. So if there is a specific feature that is available only on Windows Seven, that's not a problem. My opinion is that XBMC should be able to run on every platform, and take the best from each one.

If you have some sort of interrest in DX11, please go, don't limit yourself with dx9 or Dx10. Changing the OS of a dedicated HTPC is quiet easy for most of us here.

- watzen - 2009-06-11

Livin Wrote:I understand but if someone wants to be able to utilize the latest/greatest I say let them update to Win7/Vista.

If they don't want to they can still keep the regular CPU rendering.

People always want "everything" and that is unrealistic... life has trade-offs. For those that want GPU rendering we will install Win7 and likely be spending $ on a new super quiet system anyway. I will be.

Ans, if you get the at128 working with the new stream at the same time, even better... I'll buy you an Atom system Wink

The biggest point of having gpu accelerated decoding of video is that slower and cheaper systems can play back high definition media. So mostly those who need the hw-acc is not going to spend a lot of $/£/€/:- on new super quiet system anyway. And if you're buying an ion system you probably won't do anything else with it then playing back media, in which case you can install linux and get the VDPAU going.

I say have some faith in BrokenCodes and let him try to develop his implementation his own way and be as it may with high compatibility with alot of systems... then that is even better for the masses.