Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] GPU assisted video decoding in XBMC for Windows via a custom DXVA renderer? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: [WINDOWS] GPU assisted video decoding in XBMC for Windows via a custom DXVA renderer? (/showthread.php?tid=33323)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

- xalaros - 2009-03-12

OK, after the rumbling about windows vs linux this thread is beginning to look somehow promising. ANyway i have been using xbmc both on linux and vista and i don't have a problem with any of them with pretty medium hardware so i don't get why people complain about gpu acceleration anymore.
On the other hand since MPC-HC seems to have a standalone filter for dxva playback and from what i remember you can get the code for it from svn maybe the windows developers can have a look at how MPC does the DXVA2.0 since it is the only player that does full accelaration and custom EVR for subtitles as well which is a nice feat.
On the other hand there is CUDA and ati stream which should be implemented in all drivers both linux,windows in the future so if xbmc wants a uniform platform it should go that way.
SInce i am not very familiar with the technologies doesn't opengl 3.0 specs have something similar to DXVA SINCE opengl is a common platform it should work anywhere shouldn't it??

- ashlar - 2009-03-12

ArtVandelae Wrote:No, but the main issue with CUDA is that it is NVidia only.
Well, as VDPAU is. But it's already been pointed out.
To xalaros: I've always been adamant in not considering the hardware requirements for XBMC a problem anymore (you can make do with a pretty average CPU and this is only gonna improve).
On the other hand, GPU decoding allows two things:

1) Go for a really low power platform = silent = small form factor.

2) Use system resources for post processing of all kinds. In this regard XBMC still has a long way to go before reaching the avsynth/custom shaders opportunities offered by the DirectShow platform.

- ArtVandelae - 2009-03-12

EMK0 Wrote:VDPAU is nvidia only as well

True, but the whole reason that VDPAU support was added to FFMpeg was because the NVidia guys added it themselves.

- ashlar - 2009-03-15

ashlar Wrote:If the performance is there, maybe there's hope for an XBMC version using CUDA. It should not be tied to DirectX, right?
Ok. Tried CoreAVC using CUDA on an 8800GT. It's definitely effective. Can't compare to VDPAU but, minor glitches apart, CPU usage drops *significantly*.
Does CUDA interface only with DirectX or would an OpenGL implementation be possible?
A simple Google search suggests a positive answer:
http://appsrv.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~ymxie/CUDA/
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/sdk/website/samples.html

Actually... by looking around I discover that CUDA supports Windows, Linux and OSX. Maybe efforts could have been targeted toward this instead of VDPAU (Linux only)?

- EMK0 - 2009-03-16

yea if CUDA is possible for all 3 platforms that would be great

- Livin - 2009-03-30

Just checking to see if any of the devs are working on GPU decoding for Win?

- tslayer - 2009-03-30

Nope.

- CrashX - 2009-05-14

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33323

- Livin - 2009-05-14

CrashX Wrote:http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=33323

that is not integrated, thus not what we are talking about.

- tknice1 - 2009-05-14

Hi all,

I'm an original xbox user and appreciative win XBMC fan today. I've gone the external player route and have returned to the integrated player after a hardware upgrade--3+ghz on a new mobo w/4 gigs ram plays everything great!

Would I love to see GPU support to get the cycles down? Sure, but converting to Linux will cause me to lose some of the other programs my home theater relies upon. For example, I control XBMC via a program called EventGhost (which I'm sure some of you are familiar with) and it's Windows only. My point is that there are all kinds of cool devices/software that may eventually make it to Linux, but for now can only be installed in a WinOS. Whether it's a universal remote, touchscreen, or (insert your sweet Slingbox type gadget here), there are plenty of examples of things people want to add to their media PCs and wouldn't be able to.

Tom

- CrashX - 2009-05-14

Livin Wrote:that is not integrated, thus not what we are talking about.

What do you mean by not integrated ?

- natethomas - 2009-05-15

I have to admit, I also don't understand what "integrated" means. At present, NOTHING is integrated into XBMC for GPU decoding on Windows.

Of course, I don't get the point of Crash's initial link either. One should always preface a link with an explanation for the link.

- Rrrr - 2009-05-15

natethomas Wrote:As to motd2k's point..., good point. It may well be, if this whole Nvidia Ion thing blows up like I hope, that everything we are talking about could be a moot point in about 8 months. You have no idea how excited I would be if we could get the next standard equivalent to the original Xbox. No more hassle. No more thinking. Just pop and go.

I was so hoping it would make it to an appliance type platform rather than 1500 different hardware senarios. Oo[/quote]

Great discussion so far, but can you explain the above please?
natethomas / Geeba:
Why do you hope ION will fail?
Does it complicate things for you?
Is is not a step forward?
Please educate me here.

Furthermore:
I believe that you guys are doing great: there are different market segments for each solution and I believe each segment is big enough.

XBMC Live (embedded) for those who want a simple, but the best, media player appliance and not a one-for-all solution.

XBMC for Windows for those who want more than a media player and are willing to spend more on the OS and hardware.

Integrated GPU acceleration helps to get the hardware costs down and save power, heat thereby bringing cheaper, smaller boxes and more beautiful boxes to the living room.

People are still spending $500+ on a decent player in a nice case and that is too much for accelerated mass adoption.

My believe is that the media player with GPU acceleration will evolve from $200-250 (like Apple TV, but I would like to know other examples) downwards to $100-150 type of set-top box with integrated functionality, but it may take a few more years.

- Geeba - 2009-05-15

I think you've read my post incorrectly - I hope it DOES take off! 1 hardware platform, multiple OS's - like Xbox (obviously lack of OS support here) but a single hardware platform.

1500 different hardware scenarios ie. "my GFX "XYZ" wont do this".... "my 1866Mhz CAS 9-9-9-24 memory timings are crashing XBMC", "why no support for Fatality sounds cards" I think are a pain in the butt .. but with ION (or similar) it would eliminate alot of this... like your say Apple TV and infact the original xbox.... GPU access was looked into even on this many years ago.

- Rrrr - 2009-05-15

thank you for the explanation: "blows up" in my understanding was negative Smile

Having read the review of the ION board, it looks like it will not be a good platform for Windows with slow boot, application load times, switching applications, etc...all the Windows (7, forget Vista) associated crap like anti-virus, updates etc will be a PITA.

Let us know if anyone tests it as a dedicated XBMC for Windows media player.

However, for XBMC Live this will be great: cant wait till someone tests it and see if all the components work under XBMC Live (different thread, see XBMC Live).