XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu) - Printable Version
+- Kodi Community Forum (http://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux and Live support (/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC Ubuntu PPAs (precompiled PPA builds for Ubuntu) (/showthread.php?tid=33327)
- UncleDirtNap - 2008-08-14 18:15
Okay so I figured out how to get around all this on my own...
Anyone else find themselves with a broken xbmc install after updating with the latest PPA?
installed but wont run - denmich1997 - 2008-08-17 16:55
I just installed xbmc with synaptic in ubuntu hardy and when I launch it, it appears for a split second then disappears. I'm a linux beginner, but have been using xbmc since its launch on the original xbox. Anyone else having this issue.
- tslayer - 2008-08-17 17:00
I bet you are using the older PPA and not the latest XBMC Atlantis PPA.
Read the last page here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=35829&page=2
- denmich1997 - 2008-08-17 18:03
All I see available is hardy2. Where would I get 8.10a3-hardy1.
- tslayer - 2008-08-17 18:05
If it is 8.10a3-hard2 that is fine as well. If you think you have that installed, then provide more details.
- denmich1997 - 2008-08-17 18:18
ok, uninstalled and re-installed and still when I launc it the program starts then dissapears. I tried running in terminal and this is what I get.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
- tslayer - 2008-08-17 18:19
Please read up on how to provide the correct details (xbmc.log and backtrace).
- denmich1997 - 2008-08-17 18:23
ok, I will and get back.
- sparky3387 - 2008-08-19 02:00
When is the alpha3 going to be backported into daily build SVN?
- tslayer - 2008-08-19 02:11
Pardon? Daily build SVN is alpha3 + fixes.
- sparky3387 - 2008-08-19 03:21
Sorry I meant in the SVN PPA (daily builds) (If you have a look the compile date for SVN is 8th of august and the HARDY PPA was built on the 15th
- tslayer - 2008-08-19 03:56
Right now, it is just the Alphas/Betas until release.
- wattazoum - 2008-08-19 07:11
SVN PPA is not maintain anymore for the moment (until the official release) . This is for ppl to test the alpha and beta release and report bugs.
- bionic1234 - 2008-08-19 15:30
PPA install appears to be the recommended model for 'testing' XBMC Atlantis, so I decided to try it out (I have always built from SVN in the past). Keep in mind that I have limited experience in Linux itself, so PPA manager is new for me.
I am running Linux Gutsy.
1. Open System > Administration > Software Sources and press Third-Party software tab
2. Press Add to add a new repository
3. Enter APT line:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-gutsy/ubuntu gutsy main
4. Press Add Source
5. Press Add to add a new repository
6. Enter APT line:
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/team-xbmc-gutsy/ubuntu gutsy main
7. Press Add Source and then click Close to save changes
8. Open System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager
9. With "All" highlighted in the left hand list, scroll down the right hand list to find:
10. Mark xbmc for installation
11. Popup indicates that additional repositories will be installed, Close.
12. Click Apply
13. Click Apply on No Authentication popup.
14. XBMC downloads
15. Close PPA manager
16. Open Applications > Sound & Video > XBMC Media Center
Since that time I have successfully loaded XTV skin using PPA manager using the same steps.
However, now I am racking my brain trying to figure out:
1) How to modify the keymap.xml file, as the file that I have found is in usr/share/xbmc/system, but I 'do not have permission to edit it'
2) How to add skins that are not in the SVN, as I have read through this forum and created a xbmc/skin folder in my home folder, no luck, and I have tried copying and pasting to the usr/share/xbmc/skin folder but again I 'do not have permission to paste to'
3) How to add plugins and scripts, again I 'do not have permission to paste to' usr/share/xbmc/userdata/... folder
any direction would be appreciated
- Aenima99x - 2008-08-19 15:41
bionic1234 Wrote:However, now I am racking my brain trying to figure out:
All custom files you create/modify/edit need to go in home/youruser/.xbmc/userdata. The keymap.xml is in the root and the skins/plugins go in the respective folders. Keep in mind that the .xbmc folder is hidden, so to see it you'll need to hit Ctrl-H.