Kodi Community Forum
Developers wanted to help port XBMC for Mac to PPC (PowerPC) processor architecture - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+--- Thread: Developers wanted to help port XBMC for Mac to PPC (PowerPC) processor architecture (/showthread.php?tid=36229)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

- ding - 2009-03-31

I've been running the ppc version ahhh!! looks so NICE!!
So far I havent been able to import my itunes lib, iphoto lib, mythbox or any python script. I get...
Quote:ERROR Python script failed
and in console I get a bunch of these...
Quote:3/30/09 9:08:34 PM [0x0-0x21021].com.teamxbmc.xbmc[282] Error loading jpeg - no SOI marker found in first 4096 bytes
I am running os x 10.5.6 and python 2.5.1. Is there anything specific I should be doing?

Importing music/videos/weather works great and the scrapers are working great. Library mode contexting is rocking also. It starts up pretty fast too.

myth://user(colin)pass@ip lets me see the live channel icons but when I try to play any of them it hangs the app.(maybe my fault must look into it) http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=2297&page=64

Another thing is when on the menus (while sitting idle) I get a constant cpu usage of anywhere from 70-85 percent depending on the artwork, while playing music (menu/Library mode) it goes up to like 88-93 percent, but when playing a movie my cpu goes way down to like 40-45 percent so there is definitely something going on there. I am on a 1.5ghz powerbook with Radeon 9600.

EDIT: If I toggle through "Vertical blank sync" and finish back on "Always enabled" I get cpu percentages from 47-60 percent but it always seems to jump back up by going thru the app and I eventually have to go back and toggle "Vertical blank sync" again to make it go back down. (very strange)

One more thing Mayhem and PM3 work great but I haven't been able to get mediastream working at all (I see the text but none of the images). [EDIT: mediastream works if I download the svn version]

BTW THANK YOU DEVS!!!

Also I realize this is the ppc developer thread. Where should I be reporting on bugs on the ppc version? Is this thread appropriate?

- davilla - 2009-03-31

Quote:3/30/09 9:08:34 PM [0x0-0x21021].com.teamxbmc.xbmc[282] Error loading jpeg - no SOI marker found in first 4096 bytes

this is normal, there's some image/texture that's funny it's harmless.

Quote:ERROR Python script failed

python scripts are going to fail until we get python wrapping working. many users don't realize that python in xbmc is wrapped a special way to enable the magic.

Quote:myth://user....

add your mythbackend name/IP to /etc/hosts.

report bugs here. ppc is very dev right now as there are still several things to fix. Smile

- ding - 2009-04-01

hijack post deleted by me, sorry guys.

- davilla - 2009-04-01

ding Wrote:davilla,

I tried everything and still having probs with mythtv so posted about it here...
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=2297&page=64
...so as not to litter this thread with mythtv problems. I cant figure out what is going on there but I know you are a big mythtv user so hopefully you can give me a hand.Big Grin

I know it is a big job but I am hoping for the python stuff to be resolved cause I am dying to start experimenting with writing some python scripts.

Does this question involve porting XBMC for Mac to PPC ? If not then you just hijacked this thread and everyone working on porting XBMC for Mac to PPC is now confused.

- ding - 2009-04-05

I have been trying to build the ppc version from svn and when I run the make stuff in terminal it makes every lib ppc version except for the libSDL stuff. Those are built for x86. how can I fix that? I also get this build error...
Quote:Line Location Tool:0: cp: /Users/julie/XBMC/build/Debug/XBMC: No such file or directory
But the app I am building is XBMC_ppc.app. So I haven't got it to build.

- davilla - 2009-04-05

Hehe, are you building cross-compiling ppc on i386? Never tried that.

add a "-arch ppc" to the CFLAGS sections.

libSDL

./configure MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 CFLAGS="-arch ppc -O2 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.4"

libSDL_image

./configure MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 CFLAGS="-arch ppc -O2 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.4" --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-sdltest

libSDL_mixer

./configure MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 CFLAGS="-arch ppc -O2 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.4" --enable-static --disable-shared --disable-music-ogg --disable-music-mp3 --disable-music-mod --disable-music-midi --disable-sdltest

- ding - 2009-04-05

davilla Wrote:Hehe, are you building cross-compiling ppc on i386?
Unfortunately no (I wish I had an x86 macSad). After running "make externals more_libs" several time I came to the realization that SDL was not being built automatically. What was confusing me is that the x86 .a's are included in the svn. After reading your response I realizing that I could just cd into the libSDL-OSX folder and configured the shell script to use curl instead of wget (since I dont have wget) and I was able to run buildSDL-osx.sh successfully. I am still in the Xcode building process as we speak. It was just a bit confusing for me to see those x86 libsHuh Maybe "make externals more_libs" could be updated to include the SDL build process in the future for idiots like me.Big Grin

- ding - 2009-04-05

I got it to build but libcurl-powerpc-osx.so did not build and was not included in the app and was causing it to crash at startup so I had to build it manually and add it to the package by hand.

- davilla - 2009-04-05

see post #58 Smile

Quote:There are 3 more steps needed on ppc:
- run build-libcurl-osx.sh (in xbmc/lib/libcurl)
- sudo port install wget (wget is needed in buildSDL-osx.sh )
- run buildSDL-osx.sh (in xbmc/lib/libSDL-OSX)

the build of curl will get moved to the make soon.

SDL is more complicated. It's a three part build but the 2nd/3rd (sdl image and sdl mixer) are actually building against the macport headers. I hope to sort this out but it's complicated as SDL want to be "installed" and we don't want that. The macports SDL is missing a xbmc only patch that's required.

- Beenje - 2009-04-05

1) Revision 19247 broke Mac ppc compilation
I've submitted a patch to fix it (see http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6038)
As explained, defined macros to use for ppc Mac are __ppc__ or __POWERPC__ (__powerpc__ is NOT defined for ppc Mac)
EDIT: or would it be a better fix to define __powerpc__ in PlatformDefs.h to avoid this problem in the future?

2) The new script included in Xcode project to copy the executable to $TARGET_NAME.bin does not work on ppc Mac.
The exe name for XBMC_ppc target is "XBMC" (and not "XBMC_ppc").
Setting it to XBMC_ppc would require a few more changes for XBMC_pp.app to work (Info.plist would need to updated). Is that the goal? Or was it just a mistake in the new script? Huh

- davilla - 2009-04-05

Beenje Wrote:1) Revision 19247 broke Mac ppc compilation
I've submitted a patch to fix it (see http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/6038)
As explained, defined macros to use for ppc Mac are __ppc__ or __POWERPC__ (__powerpc__ is NOT defined for ppc Mac)
EDIT: or would it be a better fix to define __powerpc__ in PlatformDefs.h to avoid this problem in the future?

2) The new script included in Xcode project to copy the executable to $TARGET_NAME.bin does not work on ppc Mac.
The exe name for XBMC_ppc target is "XBMC" (and not "XBMC_ppc").
Setting it to XBMC_ppc would require a few more changes for XBMC_pp.app to work (Info.plist would need to updated). Is that the goal? Or was it just a mistake in the new script? Huh

1) fixed in svn, I blame jmarshall but I was watching and should know better Smile

2) this is a goofy hack to enable testing XBMCHelper launching of the xbmc binary. the xbmc.bin notation comes from the command-line make. also fixed in svn.

- ding - 2009-04-05

Hey Beenje I built the ppc version last night and today playing around with it I get weird glitching while switching between screens (your compile works good). I started doing all the macport stuff in universal but half way thru some would not compile and I had to install them for ppc so I have a funky mix of universal/ppc ports. I dont know if this is what is causing the glitches. Two questions...

1) Did you compile all of your ports as ppc? The ppc version you compiled for me works great but my compile does not.
2) Also which port should I try to reinstall to fix these glitch problems? Is it glew?

Thanks

- Beenje - 2009-04-05

ding Wrote:1) Did you compile all of your ports as ppc? The ppc version you compiled for me works great but my compile does not.
2) Also which port should I try to reinstall to fix these glitch problems? Is it glew?
Thanks

I compiled everything for ppc only.
I haven't seen this behavior in any of my builds...
Don't know where it could come from.
Try to do an update and recompile (svn update; autoconf; ... don't have to do a make clean). There was maybe a pb in the revision you pulled.
If that does not work, I could only advise you to recompile MacPorts from scratch...

I just compiled r19271. Looks fine.
Btw thanks davilla for the quick fixes (as always)! Big Grin

- davilla - 2009-04-05

ding Wrote:Hey Beenje I built the ppc version last night and today playing around with it I get weird glitching while switching between screens (your compile works good). I started doing all the macport stuff in universal but half way thru some would not compile and I had to install them for ppc so I have a funky mix of universal/ppc ports. I dont know if this is what is causing the glitches. Two questions...

1) Did you compile all of your ports as ppc? The ppc version you compiled for me works great but my compile does not.

Thanks

which xcode version? what OSX version?

- ding - 2009-04-06

its xcode 3.1 I believe. The one that comes with iphone 2.2 sdk. I am running 10.5.6. I will try to redo the macports with all ppc (thats gonna take a while)Sad and download the latest svn code. Let you know how that turns out. BTW what is the svn code if you just want to download changed files only?