Kodi Community Forum
Beta Arctic Horizon 2 - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Skinning (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+---- Forum: WIP Skins (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=160)
+---- Thread: Beta Arctic Horizon 2 (/showthread.php?tid=367352)

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - Orski - 2022-12-19

After tinkering around a little and after a number of restores, I think this is happening because the actual shortcuts and customizations aren't stored in the userdata folder but in the main addon folder for arctic horizon in .kodi/addons/skin.arctic.horizon.2 with links or maybe identifiers that tell it to which user to go to. Which renders what I want to do rather impossible or very hard to accomplish, if anyone has any idea how to fix this or make it possible it's most appreciated.

Thank you.

Arctic Horizon 2 - taiseer999 - 2022-12-19

AH2 v0.7.15 runs smoothly with latest Nexus nighty. Tested on Android TV - 

edit: crashes every now and then, back to Oct build.

Arctic Horizon 2 - taiseer999 - 2022-12-19

(2022-12-19, 20:47)Orski Wrote: After tinkering around a little and after a number of restores, I think this is happening because the actual shortcuts and customizations aren't stored in the userdata folder but in the main addon folder for arctic horizon in .kodi/addons/skin.arctic.horizon.2 with links or maybe identifiers that tell it to which user to go to. Which renders what I want to do rather impossible or very hard to accomplish, if anyone has any idea how to fix this or make it possible it's most appreciated.

Thank you.

Customisation is in userdata/addon_data/script.skinshortcuts

I normally copy that folder and paste it among my devices

(2022-12-19, 22:02)taiseer999 Wrote:
(2022-12-19, 20:47)Orski Wrote: After tinkering around a little and after a number of restores, I think this is happening because the actual shortcuts and customizations aren't stored in the userdata folder but in the main addon folder for arctic horizon in .kodi/addons/skin.arctic.horizon.2 with links or maybe identifiers that tell it to which user to go to. Which renders what I want to do rather impossible or very hard to accomplish, if anyone has any idea how to fix this or make it possible it's most appreciated.

Thank you.

Customisation is in userdata/addon_data/script.skinshortcuts

I normally copy that folder and paste it among my devices
Thank you, I will try that.

@taiseer999 Thank you, after looking at the logs a bit more, I was apparently missing dependencies and when you pointed out scripts.skinshortcuts it clicked.

So for anyone trying to make different profiles using this skin, you should start a fresh profile (no copying from default), then enabling the skin (don't use it yet) and copying:
  • plugin.video.themoviedb.helper
  • script.skinvariables
  • script.texturemaker
  • script.skinshortcuts (optional: If you want to have the same shortcuts as the masteruser)
Then reboot and log in the profile and choose AH2 as your skin, and it should work.

(2022-12-19, 23:01)Orski Wrote: @taiseer999 Thank you, after looking at the logs a bit more, I was apparently missing dependencies and when you pointed out scripts.skinshortcuts it clicked.

So for anyone trying to make different profiles using this skin, you should start a fresh profile (no copying from default), then enabling the skin (don't use it yet) and copying:
  • plugin.video.themoviedb.helper
  • script.skinvariables
  • script.texturemaker
  • script.skinshortcuts (optional: If you want to have the same shortcuts as the masteruser)
Then reboot and log in the profile and choose AH2 as your skin, and it should work.

Copy from /userdata/addon_data to /userdata/profiles/pofile_name/addon_data

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - emiralem - 2022-12-20

I'm using AH2 since day 1, it was working flawlessly on both pc and nvidia shield, but it keep crashing on shield with latest updates from kodi. I am not sure %100 about the real problem AH2 or something else to be honest, but I tried many things, it looks like kodi working normal when I back to estruary, but I need to use it a bit more to be sure. However, it is working on PC with nexus like charm.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - he4vyg - 2022-12-20

This is an amazing skin!! I have it working on my main HTPC on Windows with Matrix, and on an Android box with Nexus. I can't get over how quick everything is to load, as I've been persevering with Titan Bingie Mod V2 for the modern 'Netflix' feel, but it runs so slow on my (admittedly older) HTPC, and forget about putting it on an Android box Smile Kudos to @jurialmunkey on such a gorgeous and quick running skin.

One feature request, if I may, is to add a 'previous channel' button to the PVR, which I have found really handy with the Estuary mod V2.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas to all!

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - CouchGuy - 2022-12-20

What I remember before that there is a loading animation in "media info combined" view option? Please bring it back. I'm currently using ZDMC based on Kodi 19.4 which is super slow. Using that view option in TV Shows feels like forever to load compared to Kodi 20 which is like around 5-10 seconds in my Zidoo Media Player. Without the loading animation you will think that Kodi doesn't responding. With the animation, kodi just like saying that you need to wait.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - hyzor - 2022-12-20

Ok so I've been trying to track down the issue with Kodi crashing on Android TV (Nvidia Shield) when using this skin and others that use TheMovieDB Helper.

As others in this thread already mentioned the build kodi-20221015-4b558c86-master-24580-arm64-v8a.apk does seem stable without any crashes, so I started with this build and worked my way forward, testing every build since, I found that the build kodi-20221101-1f61ce44-master-24775-arm64-v8a.apk is the culprit. kodi-20221031-d37c91b7-master-24767-arm64-v8a.apk is the last build that seems stable for me.

So then I began to dig into the commits between these two builds, and what I notice is that Python's been upgraded from 3.9 to 3.11, along with some modules being upgraded. Could it be that 3.11 is causing the crash? Here is the last commit that made it into the build that crashes: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/1f61ce445abaaeaa5c27bb48413d2c5c40671354, I don't know much about Kodi but seems to be a lot of changes involved by upgrading to 3.11. Smile

I've enabled logging but it doesn't seem to give me any evidence on what's causing the crash...

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - justdoit - 2022-12-20

(2022-12-20, 03:52)he4vyg Wrote: This is an amazing skin!! I have it working on my main HTPC on Windows with Matrix, and on an Android box with Nexus. I can't get over how quick everything is to load, as I've been persevering with Titan Bingie Mod V2 for the modern 'Netflix' feel, but it runs so slow on my (admittedly older) HTPC, and forget about putting it on an Android box Smile Kudos to @jurialmunkey on such a gorgeous and quick running skin.

One feature request, if I may, is to add a 'previous channel' button to the PVR, which I have found really handy with the Estuary mod V2.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas to all!
i was on nexus build 10/17 which worked with no crash with AH2 but Shield had automaticaly updated my Kodi to RC1.  I guess I didnt realize I was beta tester for it in Play store so i got out of it and went back to 10/17.  Seems to be good so far.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - oo_void - 2022-12-20

(2022-12-19, 10:00)jurialmunkey Wrote:
(2022-12-18, 10:13)oo_void Wrote: Somewhere, you probably have a fatal race condition compounded by the Python version change ... If you were someone I was working more closely with, I'd give you the "defensive" programming speech Wink. It typically involves watching your typing, catching your API parsing errors, and failing verbosely. I know you'll figure out the root cause eventually, but it shouldn't be written off as a doesn't happen with my computer-type situation.

This is nonsense and displays significant misunderstanding of basic aspects of how Python works as a programming language. You would immediately lose any credibility if you gave that "speech" in a professional capacity.
Quote:It typically involves watching your typing

Python is not statically typed.
Quote:catching your API parsing errors

Python's default behaviour is to log exceptions with tracebacks. A "parsing error" not "caught" in a try/except block will simply cause the Python interpreter to exit with a traceback log message. Kodi will continue.
Quote:and failing verbosely

Logging verbose information in anticipation of an unexpected crash is not (sanely) possible in any language.

Any error that can "fail verbosely" must be, by nature, one we can define and catch. Logging is a waste if we already know the cause. We either fix the underlying error or catch it as an exception to handle before it causes a crash.

This is not the same type of failure as an application crashing unexpectedly from undefined behaviour. We only know about that type of crash after it is too late. "Failing verbosely" in this case is either the figurative insanity of logging everything constantly "just in case" or the true insanity of attempting to invent time travel.
Quote:Somewhere, you probably have a fatal race condition compounded by the Python version change

No. Python does not have true multithreading. The type of race condition you are alluding to is practically impossible in Python. In Python, the GIL prevents two threads from working on the same object simulatenously.

Moreover, Python is a high level programming language. Pitfalls such as null pointer dereferencing, buffer overflows, and divide by zero errors aren't really concerns. At worst, a "race condition" in Python means we get an unexpected value returned or the interpreter exits raising an error. These are not fatal.
Quote:it shouldn't be written off as a doesn't happen with my computer-type situation.

I'm not writing it off. I don't doubt TMDbHelper is agitating an underlying bug introduced on these platforms. What I am doubting is that TMDbHelper is doing something wrong.

Sure, if I introduced a *new* feature and I got reports of crashes on other platforms, THEN I'm not going to forge ahead saying "screw you, works fine for me sucker!". I'd look for an alternative in that case, but that's not what is happening here. Here we have something that WAS working fine on both Matrix and Nexus. Then some platforms introduced a breaking bug.

If this breaking change is not a documented deprecation of a method then it is unintentional and needs to be fixed at the root. It's a fools errand for me to look to "fix" an issue on a platform I don't have access to, for a bug I cannot recreate, for something that works correctly in all previous versions, using correct code, and has now only broken on account of a change made in an "unstable prerelease" version of Kodi rather than any change I made.

I was trying to be nice and encouraging Wink. First, if you're doing any sort of async call, there is always the possibility of a race condition. It's very rare, but when it does pop up it's usually the hardest type of defect to isolate especially when deploying the code across multiple platforms. Unit tests don't catch it, integration tests almost never catch it, but the "customers" keep complaining. 

Generally speaking, not being statically typed is another gotcha, that's why we have "Use Strict" and TypeScript in my domain. As for logging, the crash logs show nothing to help pinpoint the issue so something is missing there. Bigger picture, you're going through a platform upgrade behind the scenes. If my code started failing during an LTS upgrade from Node 16 to Node 18 and I couldn't find any references to similar failures from other teams, I wouldn't blame it on the Node team, I'd dig in and try and find that "hacky" method that I wrote years ago that is finally breaking because someone on the Node team decided to "optimize" something.

Stepping back, you doing a great service for this community and asking for nothing back, so I really appreciate it. I've dug through your skin code and both extremely complex and impressive. It reminds me of both the good and bad of the XSLT-based rendering engines I used to write way back (the bad being that no one else could figure it out once I was done).

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - Kane69 - 2022-12-20

(2022-12-20, 17:17)hyzor Wrote: Ok so I've been trying to track down the issue with Kodi crashing on Android TV (Nvidia Shield) when using this skin and others that use TheMovieDB Helper.

As others in this thread already mentioned the build kodi-20221015-4b558c86-master-24580-arm64-v8a.apk does seem stable without any crashes, so I started with this build and worked my way forward, testing every build since, I found that the build kodi-20221101-1f61ce44-master-24775-arm64-v8a.apk is the culprit. kodi-20221031-d37c91b7-master-24767-arm64-v8a.apk is the last build that seems stable for me.

So then I began to dig into the commits between these two builds, and what I notice is that Python's been upgraded from 3.9 to 3.11, along with some modules being upgraded. Could it be that 3.11 is causing the crash? Here is the last commit that made it into the build that crashes: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/1f61ce445abaaeaa5c27bb48413d2c5c40671354, I don't know much about Kodi but seems to be a lot of changes involved by upgrading to 3.11. Smile

I've enabled logging but it doesn't seem to give me any evidence on what's causing the crash...
Yeah, same for me. Good find  Blush

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - oo_void - 2022-12-20

(2022-12-20, 17:17)hyzor Wrote: Ok so I've been trying to track down the issue with Kodi crashing on Android TV (Nvidia Shield) when using this skin and others that use TheMovieDB Helper.

Yeah, the Python upgrade caused a bit of friction when it was first committed and there was some back and forth on Github about it. I'd bet my $2 on that being the issue with TMDBHelper.

RE: Arctic Horizon 2 - peat - 2022-12-21

So maybe tomorrows nightly should be tested by those having issues. There was a python bump yesterday from 3.11 to 3.11.1.