Kodi Community Forum
Do you think that Team-XBMC should keep developing XBMC for the Xbox? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Kodi related discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Do you think that Team-XBMC should keep developing XBMC for the Xbox? (/showthread.php?tid=37563)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

- frumpy_uk - 2008-11-16

Great news. Thanks arnova

- rwparris2 - 2008-11-16

3 Cheers for Arnova

- DarkHelmet - 2008-11-16

The good thing about the xbox is that there are no hardware issues such as "what motherboard, what graphics card, what processor etc?". It works out of the box. Okay, granted the box needs one modification for XBMC to work and that's the mod chip but that's offered by quite many retailers where I live so that way easy.

That was my main motive for choosing the xbox as the platform. I just don't have the time to care about and inform me about what hardware I should buy. I asked many of my friends about what hardware I'd need for a HTPC but I got like a zillion different answers. It's the same here in the forum in EVERY hardware related topic. Way too many options for me to choose from since my time is very limited.

Right now I', thinking about switching to Apple TV though. It seems to be rather simple as well and the hardware's ready out of the box.

- J_K_M_A_N - 2008-11-16

Arnova, do you think that will include the newer movie database scraper when it is developed? I am hoping that one will be more like the tvdb.com scraper....much faster. (I assume they will use a zip file as well?) That is about all I am hoping makes it to the xbox (well, that and any major fixes that pop up).

Thanks for taking that on. Many of us REALLY appreciate it.

J_K_M_A_N

- waldo22 - 2008-11-16

I think a lot of the problem is that everyone has a feature or two they'd like to see in the xbox build, and arnova doesn't want to waste too much time integrating new features. (not major ones, anyway).

My personal choice would be to have the latest ffmpeg suite compiled in, so that Matroska chapters will finally work for my compressed DVD collection. That sounds major to me, though. Sad

If he doesn't have time, I may have to break down and do it myself. (that will take months to learn, but I'll do it if need be.)

Regardless of what you have time to do, arnova, your efforts will be greatly appreciated by a great many folks.

thanks,

-Wes

- Solo0815 - 2008-11-16

Thx Arnova!
As long my old Xbox lives, it runs with XBMC Wink

- bustacap - 2008-11-16

Thanks!

- PeteBest - 2008-11-16

Thanks to Arnova for stepping up to the plate for the xbox, as the poll shows there's clearly still demand for it, but I understand the need to move on.

Personally, I run 2 xboxes in the house, one in 720p in the front room, and one in the bedroom. Both are connected with wireless bridges (la fonera 2100s running dd-wrt) which I plan to mod and make internal soon. Will probably retire and replace the one in the front room with a Mac Mini at some point, but it's a bit of an outlay compared to £20 for the xbox and £10 for the wireless router

- Streamer - 2008-11-16

Thanks a lot arnova!
I think the xbox has enough potential for current needs and should not be underestimated. My whole collection of high definition movies are stored on my xbox. And I can fully enjoy xvid-hd movies, even at 1440x600 or 1280x720.

Thanks for keeping the Xbox alive Cool

- arnova - 2008-11-16

Thanks for all the cheers, guys ;-)

The main reason I'm doing this is because I still love my own Xbox platform and I don't like to see it die anytime soon yet. Next to that I already have my own branch on my development machine with several improvements/patches. And if I'm doing it for myself why not let the (significant) Xbox userbase out there benefit from it too? :-D

And yes in principle only small/simple fixes (I'm not willing to do any promises here as it's simply up to me what gets in (or not)). Of course I will also try to get important less-simple fixes like newer ffmpeg versions in but this highly depends on how easy it is to accomplish. Mainly because of the time involved and the fact that I'm not a C++ coder (just plain C). So I can code/modify simple C++ stuff but as soon as it gets too difficult or would take too much of my time to implement feature "X", it probably won't be done.... Unless some else submits a proper patch for it in trac of course...

cheers,

Arno

- KidKiwi - 2008-11-16

Really appreciate the effort on our behalf. Thx very much.

I had to laugh about some of the comments about how most people have some feature addition they would like to see. Mine is the "Last Played Date/Time field for the dB and the same "Info Label". I guess one can only hope. Thx again.

- Geeba - 2008-11-17

Anova!! YOUR A LEGEND!

Really appreciate it! Smile

- PeteBest - 2008-11-17

Just a thought to arnova or any other XBMC team members. Is there any point in taking the SVN xbox banch and making it XBOX only? As in, removing all the other calls to detect other operating systems?

If there's any gain to be had I'll happily go through and see if I can remove these calls. I'm a php coder, but I can logically see the way c++ works, so hacking it apart like that shouldn't be a problem. Just not sure if removing all the checks like #ifdef __APPLE__ etc is worth anything, or if during compiling they get removed anyway.

I'll probably need a bit of clarification on a few things, but it all depends if there's any point to it all anyway :lol:

- arnova - 2008-11-17

There is absolutely no benefit in doing this because (as you already suspected) the code simply is ignored during compile...

- joebrady - 2008-11-17

arnova Wrote:Ok, the decision has been made: I will from now on maintain the Xbox-branch, at least until 9.04. Note that I will probably NOT implement/backport any major feature enhancements, but mainly fixes & tweaks just to keep XBMC for Xbox going for a little while. I hope you guys are happy now ;-)

Big GrinHOORAY!Rofl