Kodi Community Forum
ATV vs Mac Mini: Features and Performance - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Mac OS X (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=56)
+---- Thread: ATV vs Mac Mini: Features and Performance (/showthread.php?tid=40593)

Pages: 1 2

ATV vs Mac Mini: Features and Performance - mrt2 - 2008-11-17

So I just got an Apple TV because I saw that you could do more with it than the built in Apple stuff (you guys should get a commission as XBMC is the only reason I got one LOL). While I LOVE XBMC and am so blown away by how amazing all this, the performance on the ATV isn't that great... it's laggy when cycling through menus, it's laggy/choppy when pulling up the next DVD in showcase modes or Widemodes in different skins etc... basically the animations and DVD cover movement and when viewing my library visually instead of by list is great to look at but it's slow and laggy... So now this has me thinking would a Mac Mini be better for this? What would be the advantages or disadvantages of using a Mac Mini instead? Would I still be able to purchase and Rent the same movies using the Mac Mini and Front row as I would using the Apple TV? Would there be a significant performance increase when viewing my Library visually with a Mac Mini? Any thoughts on the pros and cons? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Nod

- ^tWiSt^ - 2008-11-17

mrt2 Wrote:So I just got an Apple TV because I saw that you could do more with it than the built in Apple stuff (you guys should get a commission as XBMC is the only reason I got one LOL). While I LOVE XBMC and am so blown away by how amazing all this, the performance on the ATV isn't that great... it's laggy when cycling through menus, it's laggy/choppy when pulling up the next DVD in showcase modes or Widemodes in different skins etc... basically the animations and DVD cover movement and when viewing my library visually instead of by list is great to look at but it's slow and laggy... So now this has me thinking would a Mac Mini be better for this? What would be the advantages or disadvantages of using a Mac Mini instead? Would I still be able to purchase and Rent the same movies using the Mac Mini and Front row as I would using the Apple TV? Would there be a significant performance increase when viewing my Library visually with a Mac Mini? Any thoughts on the pros and cons? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Nod

I know ATV with XBMC is slow! dot

I'm coming from XBOX and I can say that ATV + Mediastream is almost unusable in wall stream mode. Using PM3HD things goes better.
I've never tried XBMC on a Mac Mini but I'm sure that the 2Ghz CPU VS 1Ghz of the ATV make a big difference.

Hopefully when XBMC will be able to use the GPU to decode H.264 videos then XBMC will be finally take advantage of the Nvidia Go 7300 onboard the ATV.

- mrt2 - 2008-11-18

The CPU is faster on the Mac Mini yeah but the GPU isn't as good as the one on ATV so that's where my confusion is... will it be a situation where the CPU is faster so the menu switching and UI is great but because of the GPU the actual video play back will be worse? Would I be trading video quality in video playback for performance in the UI system?

Also is XBMC currently working on utilizing the GPU in the ATV or is it something that peopl want/are requesting but they haven't actually started working on yet? Would an optimized XBMC to utilize the gpu help with the other visual aspects like the UI system or no?

Can anyone comment on this? Thanks for the help Nod

- mrt2 - 2008-11-18

Any ideas?

- kkj1961 - 2008-11-18

I'm considering the same change. I am also disappointed with the performance on the appletv. From some other posts I've read on these forums, I believe that XBMC doesn't use the GPU at all, so it's primarily dependent on processor speed. If that's true the mac mini should perform better. I'm on the verge of picking one up, but I'm sure if I do, Apple will release an improved model in January at macworld.

Kevin

- davilla - 2008-11-18

mrt2 Wrote:Any ideas?

GPU does not really mean squat as the GPU is only involved in GL video scaling and display. If you are trying for optimal playback of 1080p high profile, high bit-rate... maybe a better GPU will help.

Using the GPU in video decode will depend on the development of GPU code and creating an API. Non-trivial.

For the AppleTV, don't use screen drawing intensive skins like MediaStream.

MacMini is 3 times the cost and 4 times more powerful in cpu (2GH) than the AppleTV. Cost vs Power. If you can afford it, MacMini, if not, then AppleTV and remember that if you pick the AppleTV, throwing any old mkv at it might/might not play. You really need to understand the video content encoding inside the mkv. Google for "MediaInfo", it's a nice app that shows the video/audio encoding inside most container formats (mkv, avi, mov, etc).

- mrt2 - 2008-11-18

kkj1961 Wrote:I'm considering the same change. I am also disappointed with the performance on the appletv. From some other posts I've read on these forums, I believe that XBMC doesn't use the GPU at all, so it's primarily dependent on processor speed. If that's true the mac mini should perform better. I'm on the verge of picking one up, but I'm sure if I do, Apple will release an improved model in January at macworld.

Kevin

Interesting... so could this maybe be the reason that when using ATV a lot of people are having the display resolution problem that when they choose 1080i or 720p or any option HD, it goes into windowed mode instead of making it full screen forcing us to use the 'resolution (full screen)' option; because it's the GPU that is responsible for displaying HD modes and HD content and XBMC isn't currently using the GPU?

- davilla - 2008-11-18

mrt2 Wrote:Interesting... so could this maybe be the reason that when using ATV a lot of people are having the display resolution problem that when they choose 1080i or 720p or any option HD, it goes into windowed mode instead of making it full screen forcing us to use the 'resolution (full screen)' option; because it's the GPU that is responsible for displaying HD modes and HD content and XBMC isn't currently using the GPU?

Nope, was nothing to do with the GPU (and the appletv actually has a better GPU than the MacMini).

All the other display resolutions reflects windowed under OSX. The only setting that reflects FullScreen is the one that says "Fullscreen".

- spiderlane - 2008-11-18

Personally I've bought an ATV for the bedroom because it's about the same performance as the XBOX but small and silent.

The Mini is certainly a better bet but it's a shed load more money and for the kind of media I play (music and SD movies/TV) the ATV works fine, looks good and doesn't make any noise (exactly unlike the XBOX!). Also I eschew the pretty (read resource intensive) skins like MediaStream and Aeon in favour of PMIII.HD which I like because it's simple and clean (although I appreciate why people prefer the richer look)

The nice thing about this software is that you can choose hardware which meets your own criteria. E.g. screaming fast custom build HTPC running the Linux or Windows versions, acceptable to good performance on lovely Apple HW (ATV or Mini) or old school on XBOX. Many people underestimate the benefit of this (and the work that goes into making it happen) IMHO

I have all of the above around the house with different WAF values. YMMV of course Big Grin

Spiderlane

- mrt2 - 2008-11-18

davilla Wrote:GPU does not really mean squat as the GPU is only involved in GL video scaling and display. If you are trying for optimal playback of 1080p high profile, high bit-rate... maybe a better GPU will help.

Using the GPU in video decode will depend on the development of GPU code and creating an API. Non-trivial.

For the AppleTV, don't use screen drawing intensive skins like MediaStream.

MacMini is 3 times the cost and 4 times more powerful in cpu (2GH) than the AppleTV. Cost vs Power. If you can afford it, MacMini, if not, then AppleTV and remember that if you pick the AppleTV, throwing any old mkv at it might/might not play. You really need to understand the video content encoding inside the mkv. Google for "MediaInfo", it's a nice app that shows the video/audio encoding inside most container formats (mkv, avi, mov, etc).

So basically what you're telling me is that if I choose Apple TV some video files might not play and/or might not play very well, as well as screen drawing intensive skins (which kind of make the whole experience for me)? But if I choose the Mac Mini, regardless of a lower grade GPU the video quality will be fine for normal 1080p content and under as well as the more intensive skins should run a lot more smooth/fluid?

If that IS the case then I guess the Mac Mini is the way to go. I'm all about the experience so skins and fluid animation with lots of fanart/posters etc... are what make using a system like this worth it... if not I could just use a mouse and keyboard and just browse my media the boring way hehe. I guess I will give up the ability to rent HD content if I don't go with Apple TV but then again I probably won't use that option anyway... it's just nice to have more options. I don't think you can buy HD content either can you unless you use Apple TV? Anyhow both of those things are non-issues as I can get the HD versions of TV and movies from other places. Anyhow thanks for the help so far... based on the answer to the last question I just asked I will either take this Apple TV back and get a Mini or just stick with this and try to bare through the sluggish almost unusable skins. Laugh

- spiderlane - 2008-11-18

Hey mrt2 are you inclined to build PCs at all? Because if that sort of thing interests you (and I fully appreciate that for many it doesn't!) then you might be better off building a small, high powered HTPC where you can play all the media you might want to and run all the really nice skins without problem.

- mrt2 - 2008-11-18

spiderlane Wrote:Hey mrt2 are you inclined to build PCs at all? Because if that sort of thing interests you (and I fully appreciate that for many it doesn't!) then you might be better off building a small, high powered HTPC where you can play all the media you might want to and run all the really nice skins without problem.

To answer your question, yes and no... I've ALWAYS built my computers ever since I was 16... I recently switched from Win to Mac so I was trying to keep with the Mac theme for continuity sake in the house... as well as ease of networking together etc... although there really should be no problem networking Vista and OS X together. I just kinda want to keep with the Mac thing to be honest. I know I could probably build an HTPC for what I want... but I just kinda wanted a Mac and ALSO both the ATV and Mac Mini fit right under my TV or even beside my TV on the TV stand and it looks like it fits/belongs there so it doesn't actually look like I have a pc sitting beside my TV hehe... It actually looks like it's a part of my setup like a DVD player or game console does. If this all makes sense at all? PLUS I kind of don't feel like going through the hassle of maintaining a Windows PC and going through issues with them as I do enough of this 10 hours a day already (I'm a MS Systems Engineer/Architect).

With all that being said... I wonder how cheap I could build an HTPC for that would handle any video I throw at it, at any resolution I choose as well as handle the most graphically intense skin without a hiccup? Huh

- davilla - 2008-11-18

mrt2 Wrote:With all that being said... I wonder how cheap I could build an HTPC for that would handle any video I throw at it, at any resolution I choose as well as handle the most graphically intense skin without a hiccup? Huh

Cheap and and handing any video/resolution do not equate (not until the new nvidia API has a few more revs). Pick something with a Core2 Duo in the 3GHz range.

- mrt2 - 2008-11-18

davilla Wrote:Cheap and and handing any video/resolution do not equate (not until the new nvidia API has a few more revs). Pick something with a Core2 Duo in the 3GHz range.

Well whatever I choose, it will be at least a core 2 duo LOL. I would never choose anything less than that. Honestly (and this is going to sound bad for me) I have a very high powered Vista machine just sitting in the corner not doing anything... but it's sooooooooo LOUD that I could never use it for an HTPC. It's a Core2Duo OC'ed to 3.6 with 4 gigs of ram and and Nvidia Geforce 8800GTX video card that has 786 megs of vRAM.... just collecting dust LOL.
It was my gaming machine before I switched to Mac... played Crysis flawlessly at 1650x1080 Laugh

My Mac Pro is a beast of a machine, I wish I could just use a really really long HDMI cable and just use that LOL Nod
My Mac Pro is a:

2x Quad Core Xeon (8 cores)
2.4 TB of HD space
Nvidia 8800 GT Video Card
14GB of RAM (yep 14GB) Big Grin

- mrt2 - 2008-11-18

I guess when I say cheap... I mean anything that I can build for around the same price as the Mac Mini or cheaper...