Kodi Community Forum
Games Library (Game & Emulator database + launcher) development project, help wanted! - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Forum: Kodi Application (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=93)
+---- Forum: RetroPlayer Development (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=194)
+---- Thread: Games Library (Game & Emulator database + launcher) development project, help wanted! (/showthread.php?tid=40715)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

- JustinAiken - 2009-09-22

For Windows: Instead of eventghost or something, use Xpadder, so the buttons on your gamepad register regular keypresses instead of special events... then use Xpadderhook, which will change the configuration when you launch a game...

It works great for me with a couple of windows games and zsnes with an xbox360 controller...

- OlafBerserker77 - 2009-09-25

Can you post a link to this xpadderhook? Google shows nada.

Edit: Nevermind, my google-fu was weak....

http://blackhole.ipbfree.com/index.php?showtopic=282

- mw90 - 2009-10-10

just wanted to say i hope intergrating emulators happens soonBig Grin, cause its the only thing missing from my otherwise amazing XBMC HTPC, hopefully we will see it happen,

BTW thanks to everyone who is working on getting this up and working

- akumajo - 2009-11-01

hello

i'm still following this project, any news ? maybe for next XBMC Live release ?

thx

- sho - 2009-11-01

There is currently no one actively working on the game library feature so do not expect anything in that regard for the next (9.11) point release.

- leo2 - 2009-11-02

I've stopped working on this branch, but it has some completed work that can be merged with XBMC main version:
1. Scraper support for Programs (you can get title & thumb for your games & applications)
2. Ability to launch single program without plugins (.exe, .bat or .lnk file in windows)

I don't know why XBMC guys don't want to merge it as is...

- spiff - 2009-11-02

because merging half-finished, unmaintained code is a certain road to a bloated codebase.

- leo2 - 2009-11-02

spiff Wrote:because merging half-finished, unmaintained code is a certain road to a bloated codebase.

I disagree.

The current XBMC Programs module is half-finished... it doesn't do anything (without "Launcher" plugin)
The games-library branch is one step forward to make it complete even without the "Library Mode".
It will give an ability to launch applications & games and to create useful plugins based on it.

I don't see a reason to keep it out.

- spiff - 2009-11-02

easy for you to say - you don't have to deal with the repercussions when bug reports and a gazillion feature requests starts popping up. i much rather have no support than half-done support. the former makes it clear this is nothing we're working on, the latter opens the cans of worms.

- leo2 - 2009-11-02

your choice!
I'm happy with XBMC anyway... (:

- TheQuestor - 2009-11-03

leo2 Wrote:I disagree.

The current XBMC Programs module is half-finished... it doesn't do anything (without "Launcher" plugin)
The games-library branch is one step forward to make it complete even without the "Library Mode".
It will give an ability to launch applications & games and to create useful plugins based on it.

I don't see a reason to keep it out.

There is always the "F" word. And yes it does end in K but has an or in the middle. Tongue

- mngrl1 - 2009-11-03

any way to get steam to work with xbmc that would be killer have the overlay and games kept up to date, know when friends come online

- sho - 2009-11-07

spiff Wrote:easy for you to say - you don't have to deal with the repercussions when bug reports and a gazillion feature requests starts popping up. i much rather have no support than half-done support. the former makes it clear this is nothing we're working on, the latter opens the cans of worms.
I would say that the capability to run executables would be a bare minimum requirement to have a programs section.
Without it the Programs section is absolutely useless for the majority of users, but yet it has to be enabled to allow users to run plugins such as the Repo installer. (Thus creating unnecessary confusion as to why this is there and what it does).
In your opinion is the current implementation not up to doing just that in a rudimentary, but usable fashion?

You could compare it to the pictures section, which is more or less just a dumb filebrowser that can display images, without that capability the pictures section would be just as useless as the programs section is today, or the videos section from before you implemented the Video Library.
Granted, that does not hinder people from asking for a pictures database, but they can at least settle for what they have today (or move on to another application).

Admittedly I have no idea how much work is involved to get the bare minimum executable launching that apparently has already been coded working with current SVN, but I implore you to reconsider that opinion for the follow up release to 9.11, even though you may not be willing to put any effort to that means.
(Then again, if someone was really interested in making that happen, it would probably be done by now Wink )

- User 42580 - 2009-11-07

sho Wrote:I would say that the capability to run executables would be a bare minimum requirement to have a programs section.
Without it the Programs section is absolutely useless for the majority of users, but yet it has to be enabled to allow users to run plugins such as the Repo installer. (Thus creating unnecessary confusion as to why this is there and what it does).
In your opinion is the current implementation not up to doing just that in a rudimentary, but usable fashion?

You could compare it to the pictures section, which is more or less just a dumb filebrowser that can display images, without that capability the pictures section would be just as useless as the programs section is today, or the videos section from before you implemented the Video Library.
Granted, that does not hinder people from asking for a pictures database, but they can at least settle for what they have today (or move on to another application).

Admittedly I have no idea how much work is involved to get the bare minimum executable launching that apparently has already been coded working with current SVN, but I implore you to reconsider that opinion for the follow up release to 9.11, even though you may not be willing to put any effort to that means.
(Then again, if someone was really interested in making that happen, it would probably be done by now Wink )

Fantastic defense.
I could not agree more. I would love to have the simple option to run executables directly.

- spiff - 2009-11-07

he's reiterating things i'm well aware of. which means it has zilch influence on whether or not to add unfinished code to svn.