Kodi Community Forum
[WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: [WINDOWS] External Player Support Thread (/showthread.php?tid=43511)

- mika91 - 2009-06-18

Hi,

I want to use external player, but don't find an answer to my questions:
Is it possible to resume video on last stopped position ?

Thanks

- ashlar - 2009-06-18

mika91 Wrote:Hi,

I want to use external player, but don't find an answer to my questions:
Is it possible to resume video on last stopped position ?

Thanks
Not directly from XBMC, no. At least, not that I know of.

But if you select the right external player, you can achieve the same exact functionality. Zoom Player allows for resuming, for instance, but I'm sure there are others (KMP has so many options, for instance, that I'd be surprised if it didn't include this one).

- willcmuk - 2009-06-18

Just thought I'd post this info since I was a complete noob and it might help someone if they cant get it to work!

First thing is make sure the advancedsettings.xml is in the correct place as I didn't put it in the userdata folder to start off with (place it simply in the XBMC folder within appdata/roaming!) so for vista drive:/users/(user)/AppData/Roaming/XBMC/userdata

Second thing is to make sure your advancedsettings.xml is correct particular attention to the <args> command, make sure you use a correct parameter i.e for fullscreen on mpc-hc it's /fullscreen for zoomplayer it's simply /f.
My file for reference using mpc-hc is:

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<filename>c:\Media Player HC\mplayerc.exe</filename>
<args>/fullscreen /close /fixedsize 19200,10800</args>
<forceontop>true</forceontop>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

What this does is makes it virtually seamless between the player and mpc-hc
/fixedsize 19200,10800 makes mpc-hc bigger than my screen so you dont notice the change over
I use vista and have made sure my taskbar doesnt show by right clicking on taskbar, properties and the unticked keep taskbar on top of windows
finally so that you dont see the splash screen for your player change it to a blank one. In my case for mpc-hc go to view, options, logo (under playback menu) and change to blank one

I'm sure this is all contained within the thread but hopefully it will help a complete novice out!

- ashlar - 2009-06-18

Would you like to better explain the use of /fixedsize in your context? I suppose you have a 1920x1080 screen, am I right?

- willcmuk - 2009-06-18

yes exactly right, I'm using a 32" lcd tv with resolution at dimension syou mentioned, so just use that setting to make the player larger than your screen resolution it doesnt matter what size you set it to as long as it is bigger in my example I could have set it to /fixedsize 1921,1081, in that way you will not see the borders of the player as mpc hc loads and therefore it is more or less a seamless integration.

- puddney - 2009-06-19

I am looking for a way to automatically mark videos i have watched. i have read through this thread and cant find a solution. What i have done is bind the "ToggleWatched" to a button on my remote but it would be prefered if i could get it to work automatically.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this going?

Cheers

Puddney

- ashlar - 2009-06-20

The external player option used to trigger the watched flag. I don't know when it regressed...

- gui - 2009-06-23

sorry if i maybe jumping some of the 55 pages,so can i just insert a blu-ray disc and use external player to play it?

- ashlar - 2009-06-23

gui Wrote:sorry if i maybe jumping some of the 55 pages,so can i just insert a blu-ray disc and use external player to play it?
Lol... jumping in, indeed! Big Grin
No, it's not so easy as that. You'll have to configure stuff for it to work like this but... on the other hand, if what you wish is what you wrote, yes it can work like that no problem.

You can have autoplay enabled and have PowerDVD or TMT autostart when you insert a Blu Ray. What would be the role of XBMC in this, I wonder...

- gui - 2009-06-23

Laughyap wondering to.
hope for a miracleNod
other than that ripping the disc is the only way to play it in xbmc.

- moby-uk - 2009-06-23

puddney Wrote:I am looking for a way to automatically mark videos i have watched. i have read through this thread and cant find a solution. What i have done is bind the "ToggleWatched" to a button on my remote but it would be prefered if i could get it to work automatically.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this going?

ashlar Wrote:The external player option used to trigger the watched flag. I don't know when it regressed...

It has indeed regressed, the OnPlaybackEnded() callback used to do this but doesn't seem to anymore. I'll look into it.

- zag - 2009-06-23

It broke about 2 weeks ago I think, was going to mention the same thing. Thought I was going mad Smile

- puddney - 2009-06-23

cheers moby!

This saves me remembering to press the button when i watch something!!

Puddney

- Ravazul - 2009-06-23

Hi Guys,

i use MPC as my external player. Everything works fine so far.

But i can only play one Video. After i close MPC an switch back to XBMC i cant get another video to play. Eek

Enter/Return/Select works for navigating trough xbmc but does not start another file.

I tried a few builds of xbmc including the some svn (atm XBMC-Rev21192).

My advancedsettings.xml

<advancedsettings>
<video>
<defaultplayer>externalplayer</defaultplayer>
</video>
<externalplayer>
<filename>C:\Program Files\Media Player Classic\mplayerc.exe</filename>
<args></args>
<forceontop>false</forceontop>
<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
<hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
<hidecursor>false</hidecursor>
</externalplayer>
</advancedsettings>

Changing forceontop etc. does not change anything. Sad
Its really frustrating to close and restart XBMC after every video Rofl

Please HELP!

- neurosis13 - 2009-06-24

try another player to norrow the problem down.