Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) (/showthread.php?tid=44019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

- lixe - 2009-04-23

I will set up my HTPC tomorrow when my nVidia 9400 arrives, so I just wanted to know how I should proceed. I've read the guide, but don't know much about Linux. I tried it form time to time, but never realley used it.
So which system should I use (Hardy, Intrepid or Jaunty) and with or without graphical interface? And depending on what you would prefer to do it would be really helpful if there is some guide like the one of olympia.
Hope somebody can help me =)

- rickx - 2009-04-23

Pvt_Ryan Wrote:I am *fairly* sure I got one of my installs working without GDM, I just installed X I think..

if I ever get my new HTPC built I'll do some in depth testing and configuring on it, but unless someone wants to give me either an ATX case or a mATX case that could be a while..

of course it works also without gdm or other window managers. exactly like the 8.04/10 versions did. and for video and music *only* it's the way to go I'd say.
Problems arise when you explore further: tv, games and other external programs will not behave nicely on a minimal machine. Unluckily. But I see no other reason to add gdm, gnome & co.

- Pvt_Ryan - 2009-04-23

rickx Wrote:of course it works also without gdm or other window managers. exactly like the 8.04/10 versions did. and for video and music *only* it's the way to go I'd say.
Problems arise when you explore further: tv, games and other external programs will not behave nicely on a minimal machine. Unluckily. But I see no other reason to add gdm, gnome & co.

Excellent, good to know I wasn't making things up. Tbh if you are building a HTPC that is the way to go.. Build a 2nd PC if you want games etc.. As to the TV I think with the right libraries installed & a bit of scripting magic you can still use a minimal machine.

- TRON NZ - 2009-04-24

I would just like to confirm that the 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope" Minimal install worked perfectly without any problems following the intrepid side of the "HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) step-by-step" wiki guide.

Hardware:
Intel Atom, BOXD945GCLF
Sound blaster live card (24bit version, on board sound turned off).

Maybe time to update the wiki for Jaunty. Thanks for all the hard work guys Big Grin

- bobb0 - 2009-04-24

molesza Wrote:What steps should I take to unpgrade my minimal 8.10 install to 9.04? Or is this not recommended?

if it ain't broke don't fix it Wink

first, because you did a manual install of alsa, you might run into trouble in that department. you'll also need to reinstall the nvidia driver (assuming nvidia) cuz i'm doubting you installed that from a package if you followed the minimal guide.

same would apply to ati anyway...

i think its more trouble than its worth, personally.

that said, there are merits to moving to 9.04.. jaunty's alsa is 1.0.18 which supports more hdmi-out configurations (supports mine at least) though you still need to manually install your viddie driver, so i'm not sure that alone is worth the jump. is there any reason in particular why you want to be on the bleeding edge?

- Pvt_Ryan - 2009-04-24

molesza Wrote:What steps should I take to unpgrade my minimal 8.10 install to 9.04? Or is this not recommended?

Open a terminal
Code:
$> sudo sed -i 's/intrepid/jaunty/g'
$> sudo apt-get update
$> sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

molesza Wrote:is there any reason in particular why you want to be on the bleeding edge?

9.04 is stable now and the last LTS was 8.04 so if he wanted perfect stability he should have stay with that. Upgrading every 6 months or so is good as it adds (most of the time) a lot of improvements, new drivers, fixes old bugs etc.

Certainly I feel that Xubuntu 9.04 is one of the best releases yet if not the best.

- bobb0 - 2009-04-24

Pvt_Ryan Wrote:9.04 is stable now and the last LTS was 8.04 so if he wanted perfect stability he should have stay with that. Upgrading every 6 months or so is good as it adds (most of the time) a lot of improvements, new drivers, fixes old bugs etc.

Certainly I feel that Xubuntu 9.04 is one of the best releases yet if not the best.

I'm just trying to point out that if you followed this guide then there are mores steps involved in upgrading the distribution as the audio and video drivers have deviated from the ubuntu packages. Smile

I agree that upgrading your distribution is generally good for those reasons, however it can have unintended side effects for XBMC, such as the multithreaded decoding issue that started with Intrepid and still exists today, as far as I know. It may not be a problem for those running NVIDIA/VDPAU for high-def content but those who rely on software decoding (or GLSL) could be negatively impacted when their system might already be running reliably (read: Hardy).

Which brings me back to my point, unless its broken, don't fix it Smile

Of course, I must disclaim that I started my XBMC-htpc project as a hobby and something to tinker with when I'm bored so I will not likely follow my own advice Tongue Depends on what you're looking to get out of it I guess. I have a friend at work who says he won't touch it until he can just install it and it works, no tinkering.. which, to me, takes the fun out of it Tongue But his goal is different.. he just wants a stable entertainment device, which I can understand.

Big Grin

- xanadu1979 - 2009-04-25

Just a heads up. In Jaunty, I think this line:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Is supposed to be:

Code:
sudo nano /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

- olympia - 2009-04-28

Well, the part installing nvidia is not working me on Jaunty.
The installation seems to run successfully, but Xorg doesn't start.

I am already hearing the sound of AlTheKillerWink, that I would better luck at ubuntuforums, but I give it a try to post my Xorg.log.

I wonder if anybody has a hint on that.

Thank you in advance!

http://pastebin.com/m2b74dae8

- Matt Devo - 2009-04-28

olympia Wrote:Well, the part installing nvidia is not working me on Jaunty.

I am already hearing the sound of AlTheKillerWink, that I would better luck at ubuntuforums, but I give it a try to post my Xorg.log.

I wonder if anybody has a hint on that.

Thank you in advance!

http://pastebin.com/m2b74dae8

Quote:(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module nvidia
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available

there's your problem

- sensei73 - 2009-04-28

If you did like me, I upgraded my installation with jaunty, and I forgot to recompil the nvidia driver :-)
After that Everything is really smooth like a baby skin (thanks to smoothvideo branch)===

- bobb0 - 2009-04-29

olympia Wrote:Well, the part installing nvidia is not working me on Jaunty.

Seems to indicate that olympia has already tried re-installing the nvidia driver... I *think* there should be an nvidia install log in /var/log you should also check that.

what about re-installing the xorg meta-package? perhaps there is something missing. i noticed that the glx module is also not loading as well.

- olympia - 2009-04-29

This is a happening with a new clean install.

I install jaunty mini.iso, then the packages.
If I run X by startx, then it's fine.

Then I install nvidia driver as it's stated in the guide.
I receive the below warning during the installation, but apart from that installation of the driver seems to complete succesfully.
Code:
You appear to be using a modular X.Org release, but the X library
         installation path, 'X: warning; process set to priority -2 instead of
         requested priority 0
         /usr/lib', reported by `/usr/bin/X -showDefaultLibPath` does not
         exist.  Please check your X.Org installation.

One it's installed, I cannot run X by startx any more. I get the above nvidia module failed to start message.

- biggles - 2009-04-29

I had the same problem. I seems to be solved if you install the driver with envy, then install it with nvidia installer.

- bobb0 - 2009-04-29

When I installed Jaunty, I accidentally followed this line in the guide:
(substituting the kernel version for something more appropriate to the situation)

(instruction for hardy, skip for intrepid)
sudo apt-get --purge autoremove -y nvidia-kernel-common linux-restricted-modules-generic linux-restricted-modules-common linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-23-generic

I then reversed it (again substituting the latest, greatest kernel version) -- perhaps that misstep is what caused me to not have this problem? Smile

I believe you and I are running similar hardware (GeForce 8200 IGP)

Seems goofy, but perhaps reversing that line installed something that was not there previously which allowed it to work for me.

FYI, I'm back to Intrepid.. its still my fav. Smile I tried hardy intially but the wireless card was difficult to setup as it was not supported by hardy (or intrepid) -- for some reason i found it somewhat easier to get going in intrepid. worked practically out of the box in jaunty. no idea why my controller was acting so funny. it works fine in intrepid.

Edit: one thing I did not do in Jaunty was install the driver via EnvyNG or via Hardware Drivers.