Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: [LINUX] HOW-TO install XBMC for Linux on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and 8.10 (Intrepid) (/showthread.php?tid=44019)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

- paac - 2009-01-28

Fantastic guide, made me reinstall my Uduntu Desktop x86-installation and discovered that the mini-version of Ubuntu is a lot better as it is more customized to your needs.

I have the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H-board and feed my 7.1-receiver via HDMI and can just say that this is a fantastic HTPC/Server-setup which is also girl friend friendly Big Grin

Some glitches has been discovered. XBMC has hung a couple of times when trying to open a file.. I need to try and open it/them from another player before I can say for sure that it is XBMC's fault.

I also have a request for automatic refresh rate change, so if I for example play a HD-rip it'll automatically change to 24hz. I don't know if this might be a too specific implementation, but I've read somewhere here that is it possible. Will try and search that up and test it myself.

- olympia - 2009-01-28

paac Wrote:I also have a request for automatic refresh rate change, so if I for example play a HD-rip it'll automatically change to 24hz. I don't know if this might be a too specific implementation, but I've read somewhere here that is it possible. Will try and search that up and test it myself.

Look at video settings in XBMC... Wink

- MockY - 2009-01-29

The -y flag is handled as a pakage:
Code:
E: Couldn't find package –y
Should I remove the flag and go ahead and install the packages, or is something wrong?

- olympia - 2009-01-29

MockY Wrote:The -y flag is handled as a pakage:
Code:
E: Couldn't find package –y
Should I remove the flag and go ahead and install the packages, or is something wrong?

Are you sure it's still "-y" and not ".y" after copy/paste? If it transforms to ".y" during copy/paste, you indeed need to change it back to "-y".

But of course you can leave it out. It is just an option fo force a "yes" answer to all of the questions...

- MockY - 2009-01-29

no, I used - (dash) and not . (dot). I tried the -y flag on the lirc install and -y was still treated as a package. I left it out and everything is now installed. The first time it started up, everything worked just fine. I could stream some TV shows but I had no sound (I simply use a speaker cable directly from the computer in to the TV). I changed as suggested in the tutorial and rebooted. Now when I try to run the same TV show, it freezes completely. I press play but nothing happens. *sigh*. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace dumps me to ttyl1 and when I switch back to ttyl2, X-server seems to have crashed, complaining about some D-bus session Autolaunch error.
Using GeForce 6200.

- KRavEN - 2009-01-30

On an ASUS P5N7A-VM I can use the following .asoundrc file and get hdmi passthrough and navigation sounds.

/home/xbmc/.asoundrc

Code:
pcm.dmixer {
   type dmix
   ipc_key 1024
   ipc_key_add_uid false
   ipc_perm 0660
   slave {
      pcm "hw:0,3"
      rate 48000
      channels 2
      format S32_LE
      period_time 0
      period_size 1024
      buffer_time 0
      buffer_size 4096
   }
}

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

- hipfan - 2009-01-30

paac Wrote:I have the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H-board and feed my 7.1-receiver via HDMI and can just say that this is a fantastic HTPC/Server-setup which is also girl friend friendly Big Grin

I'm glad to hear you got everything working with this board. I also have the GA-E7AUM-DS2H, but I'm having trouble getting AC3 passthrough over HDMI working with Linux.

My Setup: HTPC --(hdmi)-- Sony Z4100 --(spdif)-- Older Sony Receiver
HTPC: E8400 running Ubuntu 8.10 with Alsa 1.0.19

AC3 passthrough works fine with XBMC on Vista (and with my PS3 and cable box to the same TV), but only 2 channel LPCM works with Linux. When I try to pass AC3 over HDMI, I get a repeated clicking or buzzing sound (the same happens when I use mplayer with -ac hwac3, and the hdmi output device).

Did you do anything special in your config (like with .asoundrc, etc)?

Has anyone also experienced this issue?

- paac - 2009-01-30

hipfan Wrote:I'm glad to hear you got everything working with this board. I also have the GA-E7AUM-DS2H, but I'm having trouble getting AC3 passthrough over HDMI working with Linux.

My Setup: HTPC --(hdmi)-- Sony Z4100 --(spdif)-- Older Sony Receiver
HTPC: E8400 running Ubuntu 8.10 with Alsa 1.0.19

AC3 passthrough works fine with XBMC on Vista (and with my PS3 and cable box to the same TV), but only 2 channel LPCM works with Linux. When I try to pass AC3 over HDMI, I get a repeated clicking or buzzing sound (the same happens when I use mplayer with -ac hwac3, and the hdmi output device).

Did you do anything special in your config (like with .asoundrc, etc)?

Has anyone also experienced this issue?

Nope, nothing special. Just renamed the outputs to hdmi and it worked. I _might_ have just been playing DTS since I did this set-up.

My hardware set-up is:

HTPC --(hdmi)--> Yamaha RX-V663 receiver (with 5.0-speakers connected) --(hdmi)--> Sony KDL-46W4000 TV

Will try AC3 to confirm when I get home Smile

- paac - 2009-01-30

olympia Wrote:Look at video settings in XBMC... Wink

Ahaa, doh! Confused

It still does not adjust the refreshrate though... I'm having your xorg.conf-file loaded as I also have got a 1080p24-capable TV.
Have also tried different resolutions, but the refreshrate doesn't seem to change, even when I select 1920_1080@24... Very odd.

I've also got a new problem. My kernel got automatically upgraded to 2.6.27-11, but XBMC doesn't want to autostart when running the new kernel.

It might be something really simple... Smile

- CrashX - 2009-01-30

Maybe we should add this to the guide as well:

We can now monitor temperature readings from lm-sensors by modifying the advancedsettings.xml.

<advancedsettings>
<gputempcommand>echo "$(nvidia-settings -tq gpuCoreTemp) C"</gputempcommand>
<cputempcommand>echo "$(sensors -u | grep "temp2_input"| awk '{print $2 }' |awk '{printf("%d\n",$1 + 0.5);}') C"</cputempcommand>
</advancedsettings>

See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=43621 for details:

- paac - 2009-01-30

I can confirm that AC3 is playing nicely for me.

- olympia - 2009-01-30

CrashX Wrote:I see that this guide is now on the wiki page

Shouldn't this guide be linked to this wiki page as well

Also we can now monitor temperature readings from lm-sensors by modifying the advancedsettings.xml.

<advancedsettings>
<gputempcommand>echo "$(nvidia-settings -tq gpuCoreTemp) C"</gputempcommand>
<cputempcommand>echo "$(sensors -u | grep "temp2_input"| awk '{print $2 }' |awk '{printf("%d\n",$1 + 0.5);}') C"</cputempcommand>
</advancedsettings>

See http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=43621 for details:

CrashX
It is not yet ready, so I didn't wanted and want to advertise until I am not finished it.
Could you please so kind to remove the links? NoShocked

And yes, I am aware of the temp monitoring as well.............

AND last, but not least, do you really think, that you are the one, who should announce someone else's work? Stare

- CrashX - 2009-01-30

I am sorry I didn't realize it it was kept under wraps ... I was just making some minor improvents to a wonderful guide. I wish I had this info when I started using XBMC.

I don't understand fully what you mean by this ? Who's work are you referring too ?

do you really think, that you are the one, who should announce someone else's work?

- olympia - 2009-01-30

CrashX Wrote:I am sorry I didn't realize it it was kept under wraps ... I was just making some minor improvents to a wonderful guide. I wish I had this info when I started using XBMC.

I don't understand fully what you mean by this ? Who's work are you referring too ?

do you really think, that you are the one, who should announce someone else's work?

I was referring to my own work.
I have been working on the guide for the last days, beleive me, it is not small work... but it not yet finished. There are still a lot of holes and untested functions in it. E.g. Ati, temp monitoring, splash, bios splash, boot time reducements....

- atlas1999 - 2009-01-31

How long should the svn checkout step to install xbmc take? I let it run over night but it never went back to the prompt so not sure that it finished. I did a CTL-C and went to the ./configure step after cd XBMC. But it gave a message that ./configure was not found. Now when I try to run the svn checkout step again it says Workng copy 'XBMC' locked. Run 'svn cleanup' to remove locks. Not sure how to fix this.