Kodi Community Forum
Serenity - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Skin Archive (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=179)
+----- Forum: Serenity (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=104)
+----- Thread: Serenity (/showthread.php?tid=44469)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40

- paul - 2009-01-27

Take your time no point in rushing it and if you keep it looking like the mockups and keep it simple it's a sure fire winner. just one question would you consider makeing this cmpatible with 16/9 pal thanks

- digitalhigh - 2009-01-27

paul Wrote:Take your time no point in rushing it and if you keep it looking like the mockups and keep it simple it's a sure fire winner. just one question would you consider makeing this cmpatible with 16/9 pal thanks

I'll def. be taking my time, as 3/7 days this week I'll not even have access to MY computer(s) until late in the evening.

And yes, I intend on keeping it like the mockups. I'm hoping for something as elegant as Aeon (I can dream, right), but also focus on keeping with the "minimal" idea. Less stuff on screen means less memory usage, right?

16:9 is the default resolution I use...dunno about PAL. Let me see if I can make a working skin first, then go from there. Wink

- rwparris2 - 2009-01-27

Although you might be better off starting from scratch, be sure to take a look at the skin Focus, which uses a similar horizontal bar/submenu system.

- digitalhigh - 2009-01-27

rwparris2 Wrote:Although you might be better off starting from scratch, be sure to take a look at the skin Focus, which uses a similar horizontal bar/submenu system.

I'd planned on using the blank skin to kind of get my bearings.

I also looked at how the menus in Mediastream work...I think I understand the concept of one main focusmenu, which then controls another submenu's visibility based on which one has focus. That submenu in turn controls the visibility of the different windows.

But to be honest, focus is the skin I've been using as of late. Big Grin I love Aeon, but Focus is much faster.

Thanks for the info.

Edit: You skin guys...check this program out, tell me what you think about the possibility for usage in regards to XBMC skinning. Personally, I think it'll be pretty dang sweet. The output is xml based, it automatically converts every layer in a PSD into it's own PNG and names it based on the layer name, then references that layer in the resultant XML file.

Edit 2: It also allows for setting the tag info by just typing the tag into the layer name...wow. Would require a little modification afterwards, but I think makes photoshop into a pretty nice gfx editor for skinning...

- paul - 2009-01-27

digitalhigh Wrote:I'll def. be taking my time, as 3/7 days this week I'll not even have access to MY computer(s) until late in the evening.

And yes, I intend on keeping it like the mockups. I'm hoping for something as elegant as Aeon (I can dream, right), but also focus on keeping with the "minimal" idea. Less stuff on screen means less memory usage, right?

16:9 is the default resolution I use...dunno about PAL. Let me see if I can make a working skin first, then go from there. Wink
yeh no problem

- keeganl - 2009-01-27

By now you all know that DigitalHigh has agreed to help out with this project. He will be handlign the xml while i will be heading up the graphics side of things. Please keep in mind that this is my first skin and there is a very simple outlook for this skin. Simple menus, clean sharp graphics, show off fanart with as little interfering objects as possible, and keep the skin fast and fluid. Sticking to these ideas will help us out a lot along the way.

There will never be a promise of a release date. That is not saying this skin will not be finished, but I'm just saying that it will be done at some point. Not sure when, but at some point.

We will try to do our best with keeping you all up to date on the progress of development. Ideally I would like to post some updated screens once a week, but that might not always be a possibility. I will still do my best to make that happen. I hope you all enjoy watching this project develop.

Stay tuned.....

- timdog82001 - 2009-01-28

wow, that psd2wal thing actually does sound pretty cool. I might have to check that out

- digitalhigh - 2009-01-28

timdog82001 Wrote:wow, that psd2wal thing actually does sound pretty cool. I might have to check that out

I may have been a bit overzealous. Or at least, the XML it outputs is not nearly as friendly with what is required for XBMC. Although the coordinant thing is still useful...

- digitalhigh - 2009-01-29

A few real-time screenshots I snapped tonight. The only other window I've even started to code is the movies window, but I think that once I've done one, the others should follow easily. Big Grin

Let me remind you, this is just a proof-of-concept layout for the main. In no way is anything here pictured set in stone, other than really trying to keep the art as unobscured as possible. However, the menus are all working, and the fanart is working in real-time as well.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Lemme know what you think at my first attempt.

- paul - 2009-01-29

digitalhigh Wrote:A few real-time screenshots I snapped tonight. The only other window I've even started to code is the movies window, but I think that once I've done one, the others should follow easily. Big Grin

Let me remind you, this is just a proof-of-concept layout for the main. In no way is anything here pictured set in stone, other than really trying to keep the art as unobscured as possible. However, the menus are all working, and the fanart is working in real-time as well.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Lemme know what you think at my first attempt.

Ya doing a great job from what i have seen so far, and to say it's your first skin.

- digitalhigh - 2009-01-29

Thanks. The trickiest part about all of this is wrapping my brain around how compartmentalized everything is. Trying to find out where a certain behavior comes from can be difficult because of all the interlinking that goes on. But, I'm slowly starting to see the big picture, and the more I understand the more I realize I'd like to see from this skin.

But, it's fun so far. I'm definitely learning a lot, and learning to appreciate exactly how much work goes into making the skins I use and then gripe about. And I'm only on day 3. Wink

- Sranshaft - 2009-01-29

I just had to say I love what is driving the idea behind this skin! It seems to me to combine the best of Focus and Mediastream. This inspired me to whip up a quick mockup of what I would love to see this become in the future.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here and please tell me if I am. I have been smitten with XBMC since stumbling upon it a couple months back and wanted to give back in whatever way possible.

Awesome start so far and I'm sure there'll be even greater stuff to come.

- paul - 2009-01-29

The main thing is your enjoying doing it the minute you stop enjoying for whatever reason then think about stopping. but i am confident you will do well as i said before go at your own pace. I will watch this space with baited breath.

- xbs08 - 2009-01-29

Sranshaft,
Your mockup is fantastic i love it. Simple yet sexy!

- digitalhigh - 2009-01-30

Sranshaft Wrote:I just had to say I love what is driving the idea behind this skin! It seems to me to combine the best of Focus and Mediastream. This inspired me to whip up a quick mockup of what I would love to see this become in the future.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here and please tell me if I am. I have been smitten with XBMC since stumbling upon it a couple months back and wanted to give back in whatever way possible.

Awesome start so far and I'm sure there'll be even greater stuff to come.

Yes, that's very similar to what we're doing. I don't know exactly what Keegan is whipping up for the menus, but I think we're going to keep the menus a little squarer. Otherwise, that's right on the money. Hopefully, I'll have a rough screen of what the music section is going to look like tomorrow.