Kodi Community Forum
XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN) (/showthread.php?tid=45525)

- danillll - 2009-03-14

was anybody able to build and run the latest code successfully?
It compiled and installed successfully, but when I restart the box I get a core dump.
Any idea? I switched to the code from 3-8 and it is working fine.

FYI, I used Olympia's guide to start xbmc on startup.

and using these commands to build

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-pulse
make
sudo make install

- motd2k - 2009-03-14

Do you have a backtrace?

- danillll - 2009-03-14

motd2k Wrote:Do you have a backtrace?
no stack trace, i have the core dump if it would be useful

I get something like this in the .xsession-error, but the log in var/tmp/xbmx.xbmc.log is not updated

Error log at /usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.log
The XBMC_HOME environment variable is not set.
core dump

- motd2k - 2009-03-14

Please can you follow the instructions in this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655

to obtain a backtrace?

EDIT:
Quote:I just noticed the new 185.13 nvidia driver which supposed to bring lots of goodies

I cant even find a changelog, where is it at with the new features you mentioned?

- Haggy - 2009-03-14

motd2k Wrote:Is there anything relevant in the log files? Anything in dmesg or Xorg.0.log?
I'll provide you with any logs/dmesg/dumps i can find, but it'll take some time.
motd2k Wrote:It's not quite the same issue that I had, but for the sake of completeness - could you try booting with the on-board sound disabled via the BIOS, and see if that effects this issue?
Hmm interesting - i'll try that.
motd2k Wrote:I'll have a ponder, but right now my advice is unfortunately limited to the above, and 'make reallyclean', pull the latest SVN, and compile again. You should then try running xbmc from the XBMC folder, by typing ./xbmc.bin -p .
Well, i do this on every version. Package manager on Arch Linux always pulls/updates from svn, exports the source tree to a build directory and begins from scratch, so i never have any cruft lying around in my build directory. Nevertheless i'll try with the portable switch and see if that helps.

One question regarding debug. If i configure with --enable-debug will debug messages be written to normal xbmc.log or where can i find those?!
motd2k Wrote:Finally, i'm sure you have done, but double check that the "composite" option is present in xorg.conf, and that it is disabled.
It is - it fixed tearing issues / sync to vblank in xbmc and xfce too. i tend to always disable this since i don't have a use for desktop effects and compositing also seems to slow down terminals etc...
motd2k Wrote:Edit: What OS are you running? I noticed its x86_64, but the kernel string looks unfamiliar. Have you tried in on vanilla intrepid?
This is Arch Linux on x86_64, Kernel is from the arch package tree as is the rest of the system. It is basically a modular, vanilla kernel from kernel.org as with any other distro.

- mythmaster - 2009-03-14

motd2k Wrote:I cant even find a changelog, where is it at with the new features you mentioned?

Neither can I. It's beta 185...but what is new/different? It seems the README has been updated, but who has time to sift through that? Maybe someone can diff it against the last version...:p

- bobb0 - 2009-03-14

danillll Wrote:was anybody able to build and run the latest code successfully?
It compiled and installed successfully, but when I restart the box I get a core dump.
Any idea? I switched to the code from 3-8 and it is working fine.

FYI, I used Olympia's guide to start xbmc on startup.

and using these commands to build

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-pulse
make
sudo make install

Same thing happened to me, if you look a few messages earlier, are you using the -p option when you start XBMC? If so, remove it.

- danillll - 2009-03-14

motd2k Wrote:Please can you follow the instructions in this thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=34655

to obtain a backtrace?

EDIT:

I cant even find a changelog, where is it at with the new features you mentioned?

I am going to obtain the backtrace in a bit.

@motd2k

For the new nvidia driver, yeah the changelog is missing, however reading couple of posts on nvnews, some people are speculating that it fixes bunch of stuff others are saying that it breaks stuff.....

Sorry for the confusion, I guess we'll wait for the changelog.

Quote:Same thing happened to me, if you look a few messages earlier, are you using the -p option when you start XBMC? If so, remove it.

@bobb0, I am using -q in my xsession to run it, I will try to remove and see what it does after getting the back trace

usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin -q --standalone

- danillll - 2009-03-14

Updates:

@bobb0
you were correct, I turns out I had the -p in my xsession, arghhhh, when I first replied I was looking at the online version which is fixed.
Thanks a bunch for the tip

@motd2k
Really sorry for the wrong alarm, it seems that the -p had been deprecated or something, gonna take a quick look at the code to see why/what it does. thanks for the tip on the gdb, very useful to troubleshoot.

Thanks

- olympia - 2009-03-14

danillll Wrote:@bobb0, I am using -q in my xsession to run it, I will try to remove and see what it does after getting the back trace

usr/share/xbmc/xbmc.bin -q --standalone

Actually I added -q as an option to the .xsession included in the guide, because that was the "official" way (from XBMCLive) to start xbmc up until now.
With the change, the platform mode is defaulted now, first -p was removed, but -q was still there. I just realized that -q has been removed as well. So I also modified the .xsession in the guide according to that as well.

- hrak - 2009-03-14

Just checked out the latest svn and it works like a charm! Great work.

I did get weird square alternating static blocks on screen on two of my testfiles (x264), but after stopping playback and restarting the same file it did work...

- FatBoyFat - 2009-03-14

Hey motd2k, great work on getting VDPAU support into xbmc. Really is great to see. Thanks Smile

I have a question though: Is playing back regular SD content supposed to work, or would you expect it to be broken in this branch at the moment?

I'm having problems playing back both DVD VOBs and ISO images, although HD content is working quite well. Specifically, playing back VOB files gives a weird garbled greenish mess on the screen, (although I can here the audio in the background), and my isos just show a black screen. XBMC doesn't crash though, as I'm able to quit playback and return to the menu.

I'm on Umbongo Intrepid, NV 180.37, & SVN 18432.

Apologies if this question has already been answered. I have been following this thread, but may have missed it.

- olympia - 2009-03-14

FatBoyFat Wrote:Hey motd2k, great work on getting VDPAU support into xbmc. Really is great to see. Thanks Smile

I have a question though: Is playing back regular SD content supposed to work, or would you expect it to be broken in this branch at the moment?

I'm having problems playing back both DVD VOBs and ISO images, although HD content is working quite well. Specifically, playing back VOB files gives a weird garbled greenish mess on the screen, (although I can here the audio in the background), and my isos just show a black screen. XBMC doesn't crash though, as I'm able to quit playback and return to the menu.

I'm on Umbongo Intrepid, NV 180.37, & SVN 18432.

Apologies if this question has already been answered. I have been following this thread, but may have missed it.

Yes it should work.
There is a fallback for glsl renderer for SD content.

- Haggy - 2009-03-14

IIRC weird garbled greenish mess[tm] has been fixed in (very) recent svn versions - somewhere near 18440 i think.

- dbldown768 - 2009-03-14

just keeping up with this thread, it sounds like recent version of vdpau people been having some problems with. I know I have had nothing but great things with vdpau, however my build was compiled on 2/28/09 - i dont remember the revision off hand. I normally have been upgrading the software about once a month, but I think I may hold off a little while longer until some bugs get ironed out. Not only that, but my build seems to be working fine, so if its not broke i guess there is no reason for me to update.