Kodi Community Forum
XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN) (/showthread.php?tid=45525)

- motd2k - 2009-03-17

Haggy Wrote:I now have a debug log showing the issue i still get on the very latest r18605 and nVidia 185.13. Dumped it here: http://sprunge.us/bUGi?en

As you can see, i tried playing the Artbeats sample twice and everytime i get judder, then audio dropouts and then 'CDVDMessageQueue(audio)::Get - retrieved last data packet of queue' in the log.

For the last try i switched to GLSL rendering and all went fine - no suspicious lines in the log.

Hope you can find anything.
Thanks again for all your efforts!

Haggy, can you try changing your resolution in XBMC to 'Auto', and then closing and restarting XBMC. It should start windowed. Could you then please try playing the file once more and let me know the results. If it is playing okay, press \ to go to fullscreen, and again - let me know the results of this. I suspect its a similar problem to the issue i'm having with my 8200 in XBMC. It is being worked on.

- Haggy - 2009-03-17

Thanks, that's great news that you're on it. Will try tonight and report back. Also thanks for clearing up things about vdpau and its way to linuxport. I am by no means disappointed about that decision, i'm just not that euphoric as some other guys - but that may be due to recent problems with vdpau in xbmc. You're right: Intel is thinking about implementing VDPAU into their driver - but they also have at least VAAPI in question. Phoronix is a good source for all those rumors, but you surely know that. As with 'To hell with Ubuntu', i could'nt AGREE more :-)

- kalross - 2009-03-17

A had a lot of screen tearing and jerky playback in recent SVNs (probably since I updated Nvidia driver). Seem to have sorted it by changing the resolution from Auto to the native res of my DFP in Nvidia X Server Settings. Tried something with Metamode too, but don't think that sorted anything.

All working very smoothly...will keep on testing.

Thanks again MOTD2K for your inspiring work.

K

p.s. Full Screen refresh rate in XBMC is 71Hz...which seemed a bit odd. I have Auto Refresh Rate enabled which seems to work and VSYNC on Video Playback also.

- olympia - 2009-03-17

olympia Wrote:I found that some clips from apple movie trailers are not start playing or play a second with greenish corruption, then get back to AMT menu. Maybe this is relating to the issue of danillll.

@motd2k
if you have AMT II plugin installed, you should be able to reproduce that, for example with
Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen (25-02-2009) or
Terminatior Salvation (12-03-2009)

But here is by debug log as well:
http://pastebin.com/m300bedd9

motd2k Wrote:Last i checked several of these didnt even play in mplayer, so not much chance there.

You mean mplayer with vdpau?
I am just asking, because they are playing well with GLSL.

- KeithZG - 2009-03-17

Just for the record, I'd like to mention that I checked a version out of the SVN and compiled it yesterday on my ancient 600mHz PIII with an 8400GS 512 PCI card (passively cooled and manufactured by Sparkle) slapped into it and a stripped-down Ubuntu install started with Ubuntu server (for some reason the Althon machine I was previously using as my projector computer won't POST with the PCI card in, and the only other semi-modern spare PC I have is way too loud for the job, when it's turned on it sounds like an SUV engine...but dear god, on the PIII even ./configure took something like an hour to run).

So far it's handled <b>every</b> video I've thrown at it, it shrugs off 720p x264/mkv files and runs the 1080i Aliens MPEG2/ts rip I have lying around, although for the latter it gets a bit slow right after skipping around but it smooths out afterwards and would be seamless if just watching a movie from start to finish.

Or in other words, VDPAU on an 8400GS has let me run a hi-def projector and content on a computer whose components are mostly from 1999! This is very awesome, countless thanks to the devs.

- mr.b - 2009-03-17

i posted this question about a week ago and either no one saw or no one cared Smile I'm ok if no one cared, but I'll try one more time in case it was just missed.

I'm interested to know what you guys consider to be the best quality settings (in terms of vdpau-hardware accelerated post processing). any thoughts?

- sensei73 - 2009-03-17

I've checked my xorg.log and it says :
II) NVIDIA(0): NVIDIA GPU GeForce 8400 GS (G98) at PCI:1:0:0 (GPU-0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): Memory: 524288 kBytes
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoBIOS: 62.98.29.00.00
"

But my video card is a asus 8400GS 256mo, i've checked the box it says 256mo? How can I be sureHuh

- tslayer - 2009-03-17

sensei73,

I have the same thing being reported. It is due to using system RAM as well.

You really do have only 256mb.

- sensei73 - 2009-03-17

tslayer Wrote:sensei73,

I have the same thing being reported. It is due to using system RAM as well.

You really do have only 256mb.

Does it matter to have 256mb+256mb shared or it's really better to have 512mb on board. because I have some 1080p encoded material (2 or 3 titles) will not play at all (weird graphics and only sound is correct)

- tslayer - 2009-03-17

I have the same issue. You need to have 512mb Video Ram. Not shared.

- sensei73 - 2009-03-17

tslayer Wrote:I have the same issue. You need to have 512mb Video Ram. Not shared.

Wow really quick answers! Thank you. VDPAU is so great since 8.10 kernel doesnt use both cpu core decoding, so I guesse I should buy a 8400GS with 512Mb or is there a better (with more horse power) g98 based card?

- danillll - 2009-03-17

mr.b Wrote:i posted this question about a week ago and either no one saw or no one cared Smile I'm ok if no one cared, but I'll try one more time in case it was just missed.

I'm interested to know what you guys consider to be the best quality settings (in terms of vdpau-hardware accelerated post processing). any thoughts?

If I understand your question correctly, the "Grain Filter" with VDPAU rocks, it solved an issue I was whining about for the longest time. All other filters are very good, you can play with them and see what suits you best.

- t0ffluss - 2009-03-17

Let me just throw this one in, maybe somebody is able to help me on my issue here.

I was hoping to get the files from my new Canon 5D MarkII playing smoothly on my HTPC, after giving up Windows I installed the VDPAU xbmc version in Ubuntu mini Intrepid 8.10.

Basicly the performance is way beyond anything Windows can deliver, 1080p mkv run at 2-3% CPU usage in XBMC! very nice!

But for some odd reason the raw files coming from the Canon camera (1080p @ approx 40Mbit/s) will not for the love of god play without skipping.
Seems like it struggles with keeping the framerate up.. (on my rig it plays at approx 20fps, though CPU usage equals next to nothing...)

If anyone can confirm if the same thing happens on their rig I would really appreciate it! Smile

download sample video:
http://www.fluxxx.net/files/MVI_0626.mov 15 sec clip (75MB)
http://www.fluxxx.net/files/MVI_0519.mov 16 sec clip (80MB)

let me know..

info on my setup:
Core2Duo 2.33Ghz, 2GB (Dual Channel), Nvidia 9400GT 512MB.
Gbit network.

- shagworthy_uk - 2009-03-17

danillll Wrote:If I understand your question correctly, the "Grain Filter" with VDPAU rocks, it solved an issue I was whining about for the longest time. All other filters are very good, you can play with them and see what suits you best.

Where are you setting these "filters"? I have not come across anything resembling Post Proccess filter or "Grain Filter"

- nul7 - 2009-03-17

First off, thanks for all the hard work you're putting into this. I'm a born-again noob when it comes to Linux (haven't worked with it in years), so I'm sure my problem is behind the keyboard. I installed Kubuntu and compiled the VDPAU branch yesterday, and I seem to be having the exact opposite problems as everyone else. HD files play perfectly. However, I get no video when playing SD files. The audio plays, but the screen stays on the XBMC GUI. If I pause the video, the OSD pops up and the screen goes black. If I unpause, the screen stays black and the OSD doesn't go away.

I have tried multiple resolutions, auto-refresh on/off, each rendering option, full screen/windowed.... everything I could think of. Same result in each test.

CPU: Phenom 9850 BE
RAM: 4 GB
VID: MSI 9500GT 512 MB
DRIVER: 185.13
SVN: VDPAU r18620

The log is 8.7 MB so pastebin would accept it. I zipped it up (can you tell I'm a Win guy? lol) and put it on MediaFire:

http://www.mediafire.com/?i2vgvwmtst9

Videos play fine in VLC. What am I doing wrong??

EDIT: To clarify, videos play in VLC, but I have no sound. lol *sigh* Hopeless.