Kodi Community Forum
XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: XBMC for Linux VDPAU - NVIDIA GPU video decoding support (now in the mainline SVN) (/showthread.php?tid=45525)

Compiling this on xbmc live - Beagleux - 2009-02-22

Finally i got it to work! =) and it works really good. Thx alot for you work!

I had some problem compiling this on xbmc live. A few times the /var/log/acpid file just started to grow until there where now space left on partition. So when it started to grow i stoped the compilation and removed the file (/var/log/acpid) , restarted computer, and continued the compilation. The restart I did couse even though I deleted the file. No space was freed. I guess the file handle was still there.

- motd2k - 2009-02-22

philter Wrote:Well I've given up, I'm thinking the board I got just can't handle the test vids I'm using even though vdpinfo says it's fully capable of even VC-1. I've tried Hardy, Intrepid, Jaunty, and vanilla Debian with prebuilt mplayer and with the latest svn (which added vdpau support) and xbmc from this thread as well. All combinations exhibit the exact same behavior ....slow and/or choppy playback and high CPU usage.

Can you point me at an example? (PM if necessary)

- phunqe - 2009-02-22

Basically, if you want a kick butt setup, just use http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO:_Install_XBMC_for_Linux_on_Ubuntu_8.10_(Intrepid)_step-by-step and replace the SVN checkout with the one for VDPAU Smile

- Neil - 2009-02-22

EMK0 Wrote:I know this is the linux forum but i just want to know is this going to be able to be ported to windows and mac?

I know that this API is UNIX only, hence now Windows, but it works on FreeBSD, so can it work on the Mac o/s? The following was posted by NVIDIA (the emphasis is mine):

Quote:The API is called VDPAU (Video Decode and Presentation API for Unix). It provides a large subset of PureVideo HD functionality for NVIDIA Linux, Solaris, and FreeBSD users.

- ubikdood - 2009-02-22

motd2k : this VDPAU support is very good. Thank you ! Big Grin

- The_Rebel - 2009-02-22

How do we make use of this "dynamic render switcher" thingy.

- johnny2 - 2009-02-22

The_Rebel Wrote:anywhozer.. i forgot VDPAU didn't support subtitles (now i'm back on windows with hw decoding and SAA/ASS subtitles Tongue)

So you can't use srt subtitles with VDPAU? Is this a problem with VDPAU or is this a problem with the current state of VDPAU support in XBMC?

- dbldown768 - 2009-02-22

Thanks! This is working great!

- waldo22 - 2009-02-23

johnny2 Wrote:So you can't use srt subtitles with VDPAU? Is this a problem with VDPAU or is this a problem with the current state of VDPAU support in XBMC?

XBMC problem right now, motd2k had to disable DVD menus and some overlay stuff temporarily.

It should be back when he gets around to fixing it.

-Wes

- danillll - 2009-02-23

motd2k

there is a small typo/bug in your code that prevented the SetNoiseReduction() from running.
I made the following changes, compiled and run xbmc, the new values for noise reduction are now taking effect

changed

107 if (tmpNoiseReduction != noiseReduction) {
108 tmpNoiseReduction = noiseReduction;
109 SetNoiseReduction();
110 }

to

if (tmpNoiseReduction != g_stSettings.m_currentVideoSettings.m_NoiseReduction) {
tmpNoiseReduction = g_stSettings.m_currentVideoSettings.m_NoiseReduction;
SetNoiseReduction();
}

Added some debug logs and looks great, now I need to connect to the big screen tv and see how good this filter is

- danillll - 2009-02-23

OMG, the noise reduction filter now works perfectely, picture is awesome it removed all dancing pixels that I have been complaining about for last 3 weeks and made the background smooth.... oh man oh man Smile wow

@motd2k
one more thing I changed is a typo in the log message in the setNoiseReduction
from
151 CLog::Log(LOGNOTICE,"Setting Sharpness to %f",g_stSettings.m_currentVideoSettings.m_NoiseReduction);

to
151 CLog::Log(LOGNOTICE,"Setting Noise Reduction to %f",g_stSettings.m_currentVideoSettings.m_NoiseReduction);

thanks a lot motd2k, now I can sleep happy Smile

guys, you should try the noise filter, it makes a huge difference and thanks NVIDIA

- motd2k - 2009-02-23

committed. thanks, danillll - not sure how i managed to mess that up!

- rodercot - 2009-02-23

motd2k,

Do all the same ./ configure options work as with the regular SVN version as I normally use

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-pulse

Just wanted to make sure of this before I try it out.

Thanks,

Dave

- pilluli - 2009-02-23

rodercot Wrote:Do all the same ./ configure options work as with the regular SVN version as I normally use

./configure --prefix=/usr --disable-pulse

Just wanted to make sure of this before I try it out.

Yep, they work, I've been using something similar myself.

btw, motd2k, you're my new hero! Big Grin

- danillll - 2009-02-23

motd2k Wrote:committed. thanks, danillll - not sure how i managed to mess that up!

@motd2k
you are doing an awesome job and minor mistakes are very normal.
keep u the good work.

I will try tonight to implement the "option saving" part, so we don't have to set the filters everytime a movie starts or XBMC restarts in this way you can focus on the design and the outstanding issues

oh yeah, one more thing, I noticed in the API doc the LUMA Filter (VDP_VIDEO_MIXER_FEATURE_LUMA_KEY) and couple of other ones, is there a reason for not adding them? Shall I try them?

Thanks